Electrical problems with mercedes vito 109 cdi 05 plate - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Question Electrical problems with mercedes vito 109 cdi 05 plate

Hi Everyone,
just wanderd if someone could give some advice, i have 109 cdi vito which has started giving me troubles, i was driving along the other day and whinning noise started under the bonnet, and the lights on the van started going mad, the headlights came on etc... i managed to drive for another mile and stopped the van, i took the key out of the egnition and the engine kept running. i managed to stop engine, and tryed to turn over again it started but it was going mad with noise and lights i re took key out and engine stopped. but it started to try and turn the engine over without key in and nailed the battery flat... To cut along story short i got towed back home and had a local friend/mechanic have a look and it hhad burnt the starter motor out.. i changed the starter motor and put new battery on as the last battery wasnt much cop..
we tryed to start van and there is no response with key all the dash lights etc come on but when turn the key nothing happens.. my friend /mechanic also try'd running cables off starter motor just to see if it would fire of the battery, it turns over but dosnt fire up...

sorry for the long thread but thought it would be best explaining the whole situation, any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
vitoowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2002 Vito 112CDI Auto
With weird symptoms like those I would say you have a wire shorting out somewhere.
I once had a wire shorting out in the trailer connector and it did some weird and wonderful things. Right indicator on turned stereo off. Brake on turned headlights off. Headlights dimmed turned wipers on. The list goes on.
All this was on an older, non computer car so I'd hate to think what a short would do to one of these newer electronic ones.

If it is a short, good luck finding it. It could be anywhere.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply, i have my friend testing the van this afternoon, with his electrical tester, fingers crossed failing that i have it booked in with mercdes dealer on tuesday, dreading the bill... I have no luck with vans, i would be better off with horse and cart... lol

thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
hi ya, i would check all the starter circuit, i would think as Peter started that there is a short in the starter circuit and also the fuse/s might have blown that are on that circuit. What you had are the classisc symptoms of a stuck starter solenoid so you will proberly find that the wiring on the starter circuit has burnt through somewhere and melted, good luck in your search

Cheers Martin
walsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

hi martin,
Thanks ever so much for the info, we are going to have a look this afternoon, hope you enjoy the easter break.....

thanks

ade
Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Front SAM unit or ECU is damaged! - Fixed 2 Last week with the same problems..

The van won't start if you jump the starter as the ecu has to see the authorization from the EIS/IMMO..

I have an ECU and SAM unit for a w639 here, if you take it to the dealer get ready for a bill around £2000!!

Mark
Mark@Vitospares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the the info, ouch £2000 !!!!!!!!!!! how can i tell which needs replacing or both ? My friend has a laptop and has managed to talk or communicate with ecu, but he is not to familiar with vito's.. what do you want for the sam and ecu if needed.. also could i ask you if you know where i could get it mapped as the van didnt have much power before my troubles and ive heard it makes a difference also do you know for futre reference where i might be able to get back seats fitted and windows ? i already have a tinted back window, just thought it would be good for family to get away sometimes on a weekend...

sorry for all the questions

Thanks

Ade
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2005 109 Vito
Hi,
I've just found this thread, I have similar issues with my 109, Ignition goes on but wont crank.
The ECU had been fried by a shorted wire (live feed to oil level sensor shorted on fuel rail back to ecu) Got another ECU recoded with my code by ECU doctor, repaired the loom as I couldn't find another the same.
I have since found out it had this intermittent starting fault before I got it (bought it broken) and atm I cannot get the ecu to communicate.
Not really sure where to go next, any help would be appreciated

Rob
robw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2005 109 Vito
Can anyone help with this?
robw70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class