Hand Brake Problems - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Vito 112
Hand Brake Problems

Some time back I had a garage change the hand brake cables on my 53 plate 112. In a relatively short space of time the handle was coming most of the way back. As I am losing faith in garages, I decided to see what was up with it; I did wonder if the new cable had stretched and just needed a bit of adjustment. I couldn't see any cable adjusters so decided to take one of the back wheels off. I removed the disc caliper and then the hand brake drum. The brake shoes seem to be on the piss and seemed to be operating on the chamfered section of the drum which has chamfered off the linings. The spiny adjuster wheel was pushed against the spring that holds the the shoes together which didn't look right. The ends of the shoes that located in either end of the adjuster mechanism were bent. I dressed them flat with a hammer and replaced them. The back plate was pretty rusted and every part seemed very sloppy. I don't know how it should be and I'm wondering if all the parts are there. The top spring doesn't look right and I did wonder if there should be some sort of automatic adjustment.

Can anyone help with a parts diagram or similar so I have some idea of what I should be doing.

Many thanks

Rlaph

2003 Vito 112
2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
1975 Yamaha RD250B
1977 Kawasaki 1000 A1
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
vduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
this guy takes his apart. not sure if this is any help for the assembly. but anyhow.

bottlerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1999 108CDI
Great post, mate, and top work, YouTube man. The soundtrack made me pine for a thin tie...
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
the back plates rot and the bits fall into the brake "well" .. mine jammed completely.

there is a single adjuster bolt on the connector between front and back cables.

the adjuster wheel IS MEANT to rest on the spring to stop it turning from vibrations.

My front cable end ferrule broke, where it enters the front/rear connector. needed new cable, which I fitted (as ferrules are not replaceable) but its a sod of a job since the cable runs over the fuel tank and has a clamp part way.
malcolm@mill.me.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Vito 112
Thanx for the input.

The video was interesting, but sadly is about a Sprinter which is pretty different, though the adjustment method might be common.

I'm guessing the parts such as springs and backplate etc are only going to be available from the Merc main agents?. I'm most concerned about the way the shoes had moved to one side and want to do something to prevent this re-occurring.
vduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
I've got a problem with my handbrake too, i changed the shoes and pads last year and the handbrake was ace but shortly after, i found that the handbrake would jam on a little when i release it.

It frees off if i roll the van back a little before driving off, but that's not always possible, sometimes i have to pull away to get out of the road of traffic etc. then stop at the roadside to roll it back.

And it's definately no good come MOT time.

When i was fitting the shoes, getting the drum over them was a tight fit, so i kind of rubbed away the leading and trailing edges of the ferodo part of the shoe before fitting... i'd have thought doing this would have stopped the shoe biting in to the drum and sticking, but apparently not.

Anybody any ideas on that??? I've not taken it apart yet to have a look coz i've not been using the van much over the summer months.

Cheers,

Gordon.
zenedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
I will take a look at my brakes next week and take some pictures. I have to replace cable to the left wheel because the outer has split and it just concertinas up when I pull the handbrake.

I also replaced the shoes and discs in July and was surprised at how tight the shoes were on the drum. It doesn't seem right to have to file down new brake shoes
jonny rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
good post on youtube but not sure about using the diff as a jacking point!
cast alloy is no substitute for chasis ,,,,
aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: V280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny rash View Post
I will take a look at my brakes next week and take some pictures. I have to replace cable to the left wheel because the outer has split and it just concertinas up when I pull the handbrake.

I also replaced the shoes and discs in July and was surprised at how tight the shoes were on the drum. It doesn't seem right to have to file down new brake shoes
Hi there

Saw that you guys replaced the back drums and shoes etc. on your Vito/V class. I'm dong the same and its a nightmare to get the drum back on over the shoes. Cant understand what I'm doing wrong, hand brake cables are slackened, star adjustment screw is all the way in at the top of the shoes. I got one drum on but I have to bang it like hell and then put on the wheel and try with all my strength to get it to move bit by bit (and I haven't even put on the new pads yet not to mention tightened the cable.

Any tips?
transcrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes Vito Dualiner 2005
Send a message via MSN to s2vto
Talking

just done my dads 108 vito

his handbrake always been useless

I changed the rear discs and pads... when you take the rear disc off you can see the shoes, make sure they are lined up properly... you will see a small wheel cog which you need to unwind completely. Then fit discs and pads back on. Put the wheel back on but leave one nut out. You then need to adjust the wheel cog each side the same amount of times until the handbrake works correctly. The garage failed to fix it but I sorted it. takes a bit of time and can be fiddly but if you park on a flat area you can push the wheels to access the cog wheel that is inside the nut hole. passengers side is 10 past 2 and drivers side is 10 to 2 if that makes sense

you can just use a flat screwdriver, hope this helps

obviously if you just need to adjust handbrake there is no need to take the discs off just take one nut out of the wheel

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class