Vito Ownership experiences - one year on.... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vito Ownership experiences - one year on....

After buying my Vito over a year ago I thought I would share my experiences of ownership during this time as it was this forum that I received tips and advice re buying a second hand Vito.

To see the van I bought, see my original post over a year ago:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-cl...ml#post3352420

2001 Mercedes Vito 112 CDi Dual Liner.

So, an update on the van....

I have now had the van for well over a year, and as I expected I have had both good and bad times with the van.

The first thing I did was remove the vinyl and chrome bull / bumper bars. the removal of the vinyl was a bit of a nightmare, and I still have bits of remaining glue on some of the panels to this day (so if anyone has any tips regarding getting rid of this it would be appreciated!!! )

Within the first month of owing the van I noticed that the rear shocks were pretty much rusted through :S so I got them replaced with new ones at 150 Euros for parts and labor...

Soon (2-3 months) after I bought the van I was a bit warely of a few nigly noises and feelings when driving it, so I took it for a full inspection at my local garage. The result was a lot of work and a lot of bills including suspension front, brakes (discs and pads) all round (including new calipers up front), new steering rods and a load of other stuff as well as new oils and filters etc (as I decided to get it all done at once) coming to a total of around 1000 Euros !!!!!

So as you can imagine I was not off to a great start !!!!

The van was then perfect for the next 10 months with no problems at all. I covered many miles during this time including holidays, track days (carting a motorbike around in the back) multiple trips back to the UK and general everyday commuting - all with no troubles. The van even got through a thick and snowy German winter with no bother....

Anyhow.... The next problem occurred a few months back and was to do with the Gear cables... The gear lever became very stiff and would not engage correctly in 3rd or 5th and would even (sometimes) jump out of 3rd gear... therefore I started to think that the gearbox was pb f***ed and was starting to prepare myself for either an expensive fix / get rid of the van altogether.
It turned out that the problem was actually due to the gear cables (the cables between the gear leaver and the gearbox). I looked into getting them replaced but due to the costs I decided to simply re-lube them up and they are now fine - re-lubing the cables completely changed the drive, the gear change is now much smoother, easier and more positive and in turn much easier / more fun to drive. I had to lube them about 3 times a week for 3 weeks to get them like this, and I assume after another winter they will be back to how they previously were - in which case I may consider new cables !!!

The next problem was a ticking noise coming from the top end of the engine, in which case I took it straight to the local MB garage... I was informed that this is a common problem on Vito's of this age / mileage and they would have it back to me at the end of the day, which they did and 200 Euros later everything was running fine (I still am not 100% sure on this issue due to my bad German, all I know is that the head had to come off and some bits had to be replaced )

I am now (currently) facing the next and very feared issue - RUST !!!!

I have noticed that rust has appeared on my sills and a little under the wheel arches :S so this is my next / new dilemma... as always any tips / experiences are appreciated.

I know this post is a little long winded, however I wanted to share my experiences of owning a Vito, and I hope it helps anybody looking to buy a used Vito or even anyone who has a Vito and has / is experiencing similar issues.

I am always reading the questions on Vito forums:
- Should I buy a Vito ???
- Should I consider the equivalent VW (T4) ... ???

So, would I buy a Vito again.... ??? That is a good question... I think I would for sure look at other van alternatives including the Transit and VW, but I would not discard the MB. I would however spend a lot more time researching and looking for a Vito and I would spend more time and less money buying one !!!!

Cheers,
Jon.

Last edited by ljonny18; 08-25-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: I cant spell
ljonny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Mercedes Vito Dualiner 2005
Send a message via MSN to s2vto
I bought my vito brand new in april 05

Since then it has covered 79k miles

changed tyres 3 times, ball joints once and just done discs and pads all around.

It has full mbsh and touch-wood has been a dream, and I would say cheap motoring. She still drives like new and I would buy another one tomorrow.

No signs of rust but it does have a few marks as I have used it for kayaking, mountain biking, camping etc

I considered the VW but when I priced them up with seats they were much more expensive.

One happy Vito owner

The downside is Mercedes try and rip you off for servicing and fitting parts
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Post my 2005 115cdi dualiner experiences

my 2005 dualiner 115 cdi has just done 126.000 miles and has been superb until this last year and its not over yet.

it failed mot on emissions in march which was apparently caused by an oil pump that was producing too much pressure? and a blocked relief valve in the timing cover cost to repair and a fresh mot £960.00

the exhaust rear section needed replacing in april cost £275.00

last month it produced a fault which i asked about on this forum but had no replies, cause was a split hose by the turbo cost of repair was £263.00 part by itself was £12
its now got rust on the drivers door and by the handle on the tailgate.
i bought the 2005 model as a recommendation this forum said post 2005 models had better corrosion protection, jurys still out on that verdict.

now the air flow meter has gone and is in the garage at the time of this thread cost unknown at the minute.
my last vito 110 cdi a 2000 on a x plate was faultless rust aside it was super reliable hence why i went for the 639
i was looking to get a v6 vito next year when i finally pay off this one but have to say this year has left a sour taste in my mouth.
would i buy another vito im afraid not.
pains me to admit that as a good friend of mine is a t5 owner and vw lover and we have had plenty of banter over this.
still when his gearbox blows up he might leave my vito alone.
upthekernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
lljonny 18 wow hoping to buy a vito on sunday but now with trepadation,the glue problem get a clean rag douse it generously in petrol and lay it over the offending panels giving it time to penetrate then just wipe off did i read that righ your in germany where abouts?
twigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Any hints and tips on rust would be great.

I purchased my 638 110CDi November last year.
A month later I discovered the black death, and then over Christmas one of my springs snapped for no reason.
Van hasn't moved since as I have decided to overhaul the complete suspension to get it all over and done with in 1 go.
Currently replacing front and rear ARB bushes, drop links, CV boots, track rod ends, wishbone bushes and springs.
I have also started tackling the rust issue. Cleaned off all the loose rust inside the wheel arches (front only so far) and degreased them.
Then I gave them 4 coats of Waxoyl rust proofer (The one designed for high impact areas like wheel arches etc).
The arches have started to bubble and if you put your fingers inside the arch, you will feel there is a perfect little shelf for mud and crap etc to sit and rot through the metal. I jet washed loads of crap out of mine, before giving it a dam good spray (4 coats) of the Waxoyl stuff.
The actual bubbling will be grinded down before being treated, then sprayed with some rust preventing undercoat, before having some fibreglass wheel arch extensions fitted and painted. This will help cover the metal where I have had to grind it back.
The drivers side bumper support bracket crumbled in my hands too !!!

Looking further under and along the van I can see rust all along under the sills. Can't see anything when you look at the van, but only under it. I intend to attack this with a stiff wire brush, treat it with some rust killer and then again, spray the whole lot with Waxoly stuff. The actual chassis only has mild surface rust, but again, I will clean it up and spray it with Waxoyl.

The bottom of the doors are I think, beyond saving. Again, looking at the van the look great, but feel under with your fingers and you can pull flakes off. There is a company on ebay that sell 100% refurbed and rust free ones for £110 (were £80 till a few weeks ago), so I think I will just replace them when needed.

Door sills all have surface rust which i have allready attacked with a wire drill attachment and treated with rust killer. I just need to apply some filler, smooth it down, primer, spray and then fit my new door sill protectors.

Front cross member has been removed from the van as it was literaly falling to pieces, but I managed to pick up a virtualy rust free one from ebay for £5
Will rub it back, spray it with anti chip paint and and squirt Waxoyl into the cavity.

The slight bubbling at the top of the windscreen, the small spots on the corners of both sliding doors and the scratch on the front bumper will be tackled by a proper paint shop.

I will post up some pics as and when I do things. I don't have any proper "before" photos of my wheel arches as my camera was playing up. See below!! No idea what was up with it

I have more pictures of my actual rust but I fear i have already hijacked this thread enough. Sorry.

I came from owning a 10 year old Ford and it was 99% rust free. So much for Merc build quality. Last time I had something with this much rust on it, it wore a Lancia badge

If anyone else can offer rust advice, please do so.

Paul
SpannerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigster View Post
lljonny 18 wow hoping to buy a vito on sunday but now with trepadation,the glue problem get a clean rag douse it generously in petrol and lay it over the offending panels giving it time to penetrate then just wipe off did i read that righ your in germany where abouts?
Hey twigster (sorry for the late reply) - Yes im in Germany. I am in the South East close to Stuttgart and you ??? Did you get your Vito ???
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerMonkey View Post
Any hints and tips on rust would be great.

I purchased my 638 110CDi November last year.
A month later I discovered the black death, and then over Christmas one of my springs snapped for no reason.
Van hasn't moved since as I have decided to overhaul the complete suspension to get it all over and done with in 1 go.
Currently replacing front and rear ARB bushes, drop links, CV boots, track rod ends, wishbone bushes and springs.
I have also started tackling the rust issue. Cleaned off all the loose rust inside the wheel arches (front only so far) and degreased them.
Then I gave them 4 coats of Waxoyl rust proofer (The one designed for high impact areas like wheel arches etc).
The arches have started to bubble and if you put your fingers inside the arch, you will feel there is a perfect little shelf for mud and crap etc to sit and rot through the metal. I jet washed loads of crap out of mine, before giving it a dam good spray (4 coats) of the Waxoyl stuff.
The actual bubbling will be grinded down before being treated, then sprayed with some rust preventing undercoat, before having some fibreglass wheel arch extensions fitted and painted. This will help cover the metal where I have had to grind it back.
The drivers side bumper support bracket crumbled in my hands too !!!

Looking further under and along the van I can see rust all along under the sills. Can't see anything when you look at the van, but only under it. I intend to attack this with a stiff wire brush, treat it with some rust killer and then again, spray the whole lot with Waxoly stuff. The actual chassis only has mild surface rust, but again, I will clean it up and spray it with Waxoyl.

The bottom of the doors are I think, beyond saving. Again, looking at the van the look great, but feel under with your fingers and you can pull flakes off. There is a company on ebay that sell 100% refurbed and rust free ones for £110 (were £80 till a few weeks ago), so I think I will just replace them when needed.

Door sills all have surface rust which i have allready attacked with a wire drill attachment and treated with rust killer. I just need to apply some filler, smooth it down, primer, spray and then fit my new door sill protectors.

Front cross member has been removed from the van as it was literaly falling to pieces, but I managed to pick up a virtualy rust free one from ebay for £5
Will rub it back, spray it with anti chip paint and and squirt Waxoyl into the cavity.

The slight bubbling at the top of the windscreen, the small spots on the corners of both sliding doors and the scratch on the front bumper will be tackled by a proper paint shop.

I will post up some pics as and when I do things. I don't have any proper "before" photos of my wheel arches as my camera was playing up. See below!! No idea what was up with it

I have more pictures of my actual rust but I fear i have already hijacked this thread enough. Sorry.

I came from owning a 10 year old Ford and it was 99% rust free. So much for Merc build quality. Last time I had something with this much rust on it, it wore a Lancia badge

If anyone else can offer rust advice, please do so.

Paul
Hi Paul thanks for the post - very helpful... I still have my Vito and am still slowly but surely fighting rust How is your van now looking ???
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Vito 111CDi 2004
Well I have to say I have just had the rust removed from around the rubbing strip on the drivers door and passenger sliding door. I'd love a brand new one - 100% galvanised. Pity mine isn't. Still, apart from that it's run like a dream.
adamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
I love my Vito, I've never driven a vehicle like it with 151k on the clock still drives as good if not better than a brand new vans. In the year and a half I've had mine, it's never broken down, never failed to start. I do wish it never had the black death, but I have patience to deal with that problem. I also wish it was 100% galvanised, but that would make them some what more expensive and out of my price range. I feel you get so much van for your money.
martinriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
2010 115 Sport. Had it from new, 20 months old 36K miles, still under warranty.

EGR valve failed.
Leaking door/window.
Aircon pump failed.
Rust on tailgate.
Radio crap ( to be fixed)

All these things have been fixed under warranty (eventually), and the staff at the dealership are all very pleasant, but I'd rather not see them so much!

Had a T5 before and it spent way too much time at the dealership, but I think I can now safely compare them.

Merc-Pros- Nicer to drive, much more car like.

VW T5- Pros- Solid feeling gearbox and smooth engine (2.5)

Cons-

Well they both have problems, the difference is how the dealership handles them, and so far Merc at least accept the Vito isn't perfect, whereas VW won't accept anything.
andy8442 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class