Oil / Fuel spits out exhaust when starting!? 108CDI - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Oil / Fuel spits out exhaust when starting!? 108CDI

Hello, just picked up a 2003 108CDI Vito. 130,000 Km on the clock

I'm a little concerned with the time it takes to start (maybe 5 seconds - my 2007 Vito takes about 3). It does this consistently and the timing doesn't seem to change much on whether it's cold, warm, been running, first start of the day, or straight after an hour drive.

But more to the point, when it starts I notice it spits out a bit of black liquid from the exhaust. I'm guessing it's oil, smells a little like burnt oil but I can't say for sure that it isn't fuel.. I did try to ignite some with a lighter but that didn't happen so it seems more like oil at this stage

Any thoughts?
I've read endless topics of black death and thankfully haven't seen mention of liquid spitting from exhaust yet, so that's good I guess

It doesn't happen continuously either, just on start it seems

Thanks
Coschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Hi ya, it sounds like it could just be condensation that is been spat out, does it do this even after a long drive?? other options could again be water caused by a failing head gasket or oil caused by a failing head gasket but if you are not adding oil and water on a daily basis then i would doubt it was that. The only other thing that it could be is turbo seals leaking a bit of oil but this is normally burnt off rather than spat out unless they have failed and again you would be adding oil all the time and there would be considerable smoke when driving around.
As for the starting taking longer i think my 108 takes longer than my 120 but it has done 5 times the mileage and could proberly benifit from new injectors

Cheers Martin
walsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
Sounds like your turbo seals might of gone if it's gooey oil...
I would flush the oil with a pint of diesel then put some fresh stuff in it and see if the oil changes colour.

The oil and starting might be unrelated...
Custom Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

the spats on the ground are not clumpy even in the slightest, the come out flat on the ground and are transparent (still black, but flat and you can see the concrete underneath)

maybe this does just suggest condensation mixed with standard exhaust blackness.. I'll take it for a longer drive today and see what happens, what do you suggest I look out for?

on my list are:
-fuel/exhaust smell in the cabin
-smoke from the back of the engine

that it, I guess I'm particularly worried about this injector crap I keep hearing about, we'll see
Old 06-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
That doesn't sound great. I wouldn't take it 'for a longer drive, something sounds like it's ready to give.
I would partially strip the top, as it's sounding more like injector seals now and check for build up.
If it is, get it done while the engine just about still starts as it will be so much easier.
Custom Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

hmm... just saw your message, already took it for a longer drive
longer drive being about an hour and a half, without a hiccup which is good.

When I got back I tried starting it again and noticed a small plume of black smoke chuff out when the engine starts, but from then on everything seems normal. No fume'y smell in the cabin either

Might still be worth taking off the inlet manifold to get a look at the injectors though?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coschi View Post
hmm... just saw your message, already took it for a longer drive
longer drive being about an hour and a half, without a hiccup which is good.

When I got back I tried starting it again and noticed a small plume of black smoke chuff out when the engine starts, but from then on everything seems normal. No fume'y smell in the cabin either

Might still be worth taking off the inlet manifold to get a look at the injectors though?
I would say there is nothing to worry about, a puff of black smoke on startup is quite normal and the liquid will be condensation, this will be worse if the van is used for short trips as it doesnt allow the exhaust to get hot and evaporate it.
You would know if there was any problem with the turbo seals as it would be smoking very badly and it would be very distinctive white smoke and if it was a head gasket problem you would be having to add fluids all the time.
Happy motoring

Cheers Martin
Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Chris View Post
That doesn't sound great. I wouldn't take it 'for a longer drive, something sounds like it's ready to give.
I would partially strip the top, as it's sounding more like injector seals now and check for build up.
If it is, get it done while the engine just about still starts as it will be so much easier.
I'm wondering why he shouldn't go for a longer drive Chris, i would of thought it was a good way of rulling out it being condensation and seeing if it was anything else that was wrong. If it was turbo seals he isn't going to get very far before he gets pulled over for causing damage to the atmosphere with all the oil smoke

Cheers Martin
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks Martin

Well, if it's not of mechanical concern then that's great, but it is making my garage floor look like crap.. Any thoughts on how to stop it?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Hi ya, there is no real answer to condensation, some vehicles are worse than others and the weather also effects it a great deal aswell. Long runs is the only real answer, this will heat the exhaust up enough and dry it out, short journeys don't generate enough heat to dry the system out. There are quite a few elderly people that live around here and the number of cars i see with water actually running out of the exhaust's because they are driven slowly and on short journeys is astounding and also we suffer a lot with sea mist so this just makes matters even worse.

Cheers Martin

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class