#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
help needed in splitting the timing chain on a Vito

i need to change the timing chain on my old vito , i know it is done by taking a link out, re-join feed round, link back out re-join new chain but heres the question ,whats the best tool to buy as in value for money and doing the job correctly , can anyone help in advice please it would be greatley appreciated as i really know nothing about what tool to buy as when i read about extractor tools it normally says what chain it will split and the like but i have no idea what type is on the vito apart from it being double not single,,,,,fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Hi Fred,
to my knowledge and experience, timing chains are endless...they dont do split links in a timing chain!! I'm afraid its the whole front end off to get to the chain and pulleys, and its usually a duplex chain for strength and durability!
#3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
I don't remember splitting the chain when I did a head gasket on one of these...
#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
(Thread Starter)
thanks for answering guys...

the reason i asked the question was because i have the head nearly off and in a diagram with info on head removal it lists a chain splitter / joining kit , i just presumed timing chain as it also says you dont have to remove the head to replace the chain hence my problem , can i ask chris how did you manage to remove the head as it seems on the vito i own the chain runs round a tensioner thats in the head and as you lift the head the chain stops it as its still round the tensioner , i have looked but cant get my head around how the hell to remove the tensioner unless the heads off , and it must come off to have the head skimmed , any help would be a bonus to me as at the mo its driving me nuts as some quotes i,m getting from mechanics to come and help me out are outrageous to say the least as i live pretty much out in the middle of nowhere its bad enough getting parts .....thanks fred

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class