oil light on - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
oil light on

Hi, anyone know what the most common cause for the oil light coming on is when the oil level is fine? Thanks
moov4oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quote:
Originally Posted by moov4oo View Post
Hi, anyone know what the most common cause for the oil light coming on is when the oil level is fine? Thanks
1. Faulty oil sensor switch.
2. Wiring to switch/contact loose/cracked.
3. Oil pressure low - oil pump in sump iffy.

Sure oil level is ok?
Punjabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thank you for the tips. The oil level is definitely ok. The oil light comes on and goes off through out a journey. I was told by mb garage that my 99 vito does not have an oil pressure switch and only senses oil level. Thanks once again
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Hi,

Double check the oil level, most people would accept that oil level is ok if it's a little over the top mark on the dipstick, but needs topping up if it is lower than the bottom. However on the vito, if there is too much oil this will cause the warning light to come on as the pressure will be too high and could cause problems.

The guy i bought my van from told me he had "topped it up with oil", it seems he didn't check whether or not it needed any first, or didn't take care to make sure that he didn't put too much in. Caused a load of oil to blow out all over what was a clean engine during the next couple of hundred miles. Luckily that's all that happened, no long term damage.

You may have to drain a little out, or just go for a full oil change. It might not be that, but worth double checking to be sure.

Cheers,

Gordon.
zenedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Oil light was coming on and off at varying intervals on my 112 99v have changed the oil level sensor (70) as i am told this van does not have an oil pressure sensor. The problem has been sorted.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: Vito 112CDI
It happened to me last week on a drive down to Kernow - oil light came on...pulled over and let her chill for ten minutes (oil level ok), light off - problem has not reappeared.

Oil pressure sensor - how much of a mission is this to change? Pricey part?

Fuzz
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

part is £70 dont know labour cost as the garage did it with some other things but i remember the bill was £200 including other stuff i wanted done. not sure what they were now.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
The oil level sensor is super sensitve, they work on lilimeters. You have probably over filled the van as this is far more common than changing the sensor. When the vehicle is cold the oil level should be right in between the two red marks on the dipstick. Then when the vehicle heats up the oil will expand up to the top mark and thus avoid any hassles with the oil light. The oil level sensors are usally pretty good. Working on these things for years and have probably changed one.
bigdog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

i had 3 seperate oil changes and it made no difference. the levels were spot on. since changing the sensor it has not happened again in over 3 months. I was told by the mechanic that they were essentially just a float switch and when the oil went below a certain level the float drops and breaks the circuit. Please dont quote me on this, its just what i was told.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class