vito 108cdi ( turbo ) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
vito 108cdi ( turbo )

hi , new to the forum... hope someone can help

i have just had a (used) replacement engine and box fitted in my 1999 vito 108cdi , by a genuine merc dealer . apparantly the cylinder head has been re-faced , new ( serviced ) injectors have been fitted and various seals and stuff to do with the high pressure pump ...etc . cost me £1750.00 in total ( vans only worth 2 grand !!! ) now ... the problem is , its terrible starting from cold ( i don't think new glow plugs were fitted ) , if i let the motor tick over for a few minutes and drive off , you cant see my street for white smoke !!! and this takes maybe , afew hundred yards to clear ... general running , the motor does sound quite sweet .

i've taken it back to the dealers and guess what ????? the cheques cleared and they dont want to play ...

also , a compitent vito technician has told me that common rail injected engines dont really need glow plugs ... so the cold starting problem wont be that !!!!! is it me or does anyone else think he's talking crap ????

S.O.S anybody ,,, please .

dave.
dhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: Mercedes Vito 639 Dualiner
I have been told that the cdi engines don't rely on the glow plugs, I had a problem with the glow plugs on my 108 cdi and it started fine from cold, just a thought is it smoke or steam, I wonder if water is getting into the cylinders, hope you manage to sort this problem.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

it seems to be a bit too heavy for it to be steam , if it is the head gasket , wouldn't it smoke all the time ???? the thing that puzzles me is that it only does it after its been idling for a few minutes ?????

gonna change the glow plugs anyway , has anyone got any advise ? i heard that they break off quite easily , turning into a nightmare job ( drilling them out etc.... )
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: vito 110cdi
sounds like could be the injectors or your burning excess water some how, the glow plugs aint an issue my light is on and i run the same now as before, never go to merc with a vito see they know that vitos a discracefully flawed and it would seem once the problems begin you never ever get rid of them so merc dont want to admit this and the other reason is you could have numerous expensive jobs done and 9times out of10 the problem is never cured. read the threads on hear on just how helpful MB are when it comes to vitos. yep, they dont wanna know because its like opening a can of worms once you start. find a good diesel engineer because it will cost you this. I still got smoke and thats after new oil seals as diagnosed - still same problem, injectors reconditioned at 180 plus vat - same problem still then EGR system overhaul and guess what - still same now only i am a few grand lighter in the pocket.
plasterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Dave,
white smoke is due to water or a misfire or both. Are you using much coolant? A head gasket (when it's starting to fail) fault doesn't always smoke all the time & is at its worst when cold. The gasket is used to seal the two mating faces & is at it's most vunerable when cold.
We test our engines cold when pressure testing head gaskets (& other coolant components) as it's a tougher test.
The fact the head has been re-faced should have the alarm bells ringing.
If the garage isn't playing ball, contact the citizens advice people.

Ugly

PS The technician was right about the glow plugs not really being needed for cold starting. We don't get cold enough weather to require them.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

result !!

thanks for all the replies.

tried to start the van this morning , no go , eventually fired up .... smoking its ass off, checked the coolant level and it had dropped ... all indications of blown head gasket . took the van straight back to the merc dealer , demanded to see the top man , he knew all about the job ( or , so it seemed )he told me how much this job had lost him in time and labour , i told him i hadn't paid £1762.50 for this plie of crap !!!! he had no knowledge that the head had been refaced and asked who had told me it had ??" your service manager " i replied.. he was none too happy , coz it hasn't , isn't it amazing what the threat of legal action and trading standards can do ????? he's now got to loose more money and time by fixing the damn thing properly , like he should have done in the first place...

i'll keep you posted ,

thanks again for everyone's input.

dave.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Excellent, good luck with everything matey.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Happy to hear that it won't cost you anymore of your dosh.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Hi. Sorry to have to write this in here but I am trying to post a new thread and have spent hours trying to do it and its drivivg me mental. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I post a thread on a problem I have with my Vito as it does not tell you in the FAQ. Thanks
JD-SMART-REPAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

hi JD, to start a new thread you log in and when the page opens you look to the right you will see forum tools click the drop down and click new thread.

Last edited by dingbat; 11-21-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class