#1 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vito Starts then Stops ?

Aarrgh...... Just got through a small re-build of my 02 110CDI, had been driven for over a year with a leaky injector, so I found myself confronted with the dreaded coal face, did not find it too bad to clean off, After several types of injector extractor, new wiring loom, rocker cover, breather, and serviced injectors, put all the parts back together and Hey presto, van starts......
......But, the van starts fine, hot or cold and runs like a dream but when left for over 6.5hrs, the van starts first turn of the key, runs for 10 seconds then dies as though from fuel starvation, it then takes about 60 seconds of cranking, then she fires up again, and runs no problem ??????
If you can please help, that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Vito 111CDi 2004
Air in the fuel supply line? It's was always a total pain to bleed the damn thing. Maybe not but just a thought?
#3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 108 cdi
Send a message via MSN to tonto555
hi Loonyada, did your new injector wiring loom come from a merc dealers? I need to replace mine but am having trouble sourcing it in Ireland, How much did it cost you? Ta
#4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
I agree air in system. Check the supply connection lines to and from the fuel filter,fuel pump and inj pump. When you start it it is running off the contents of inj pump then possibly the fuel filter, it stops, then next time self bleeds untill it starts. It reminds me of the problem on old HGVs of fuel draining back to the tank because of either bad connections or faulty pump.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Update:-
Cheers for the replies, I have now changed the seals on the pressure sensor, which was recommended on another post, this has not resolved the issue, so I will now start investigating further, including around the fuel filter.
The wiring loom came direct from the Mercdad dealer, cant remember exactly how much but thought for a large lump of kit was quite fairly priced. (I think about 125 Pounds UK )

For those facing the dreaded coal face, included are a couple of pics, before and after style. Its not that bad if you apply a small amount of engineering to the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	182445   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	182446  
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Vito 108 cdi
Send a message via MSN to tonto555
excellent clean up mate what did you use?
#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I Used a collection of screwdrivers as chisels, but the real gem was a dremmel with a collection of small wire brushes, made it as easy as spreading butter !!!
Still got a problem with air in the fuel line, I can see the bubbles when it starts, I have done the O rings on the fuel pressure sensor, but I have physically inspected the pipe, but no joy, anyone got any ideas .....Please !!
Thanks
#8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my vito 112 CDI and I agree with your diagnosis of it starting (for a few seconds) on fuel left over in the injection pump and then starvation. Subsequent self bleed restart. (60 seconds or so of cranking) Have you found the solution? I'm still looking.
Cheers
#9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: Vito 108 CDI 2003 and C320 2001
I had same problem. If you take off the plastic air manifold, you can see the LP fuel lines clearly. After cranking, quickly look at the fuel line on the left side of the filter and see if fuel is running back down to the tank. If its fast, you got a big air leak, slow, a little leak. I changed all the seals fiter and 0-rings, but missed the water sensor under the fuel filter. I could be the o-ring seal on that thing. To get an idea, you need to pull some lines off and start sucking some diesel my friend and then clamp off to see which line is letting air into the filter. Have a beer chaser ready to rinse out, unless your into diesel.

You can Always rely on Chi Chi, He gives the ass to fault codes!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class