Vito - Changing front and rear discs + pads
Just changed the front and rear discs and pads on my vito CD112i.
I followed the info in the Peter Russek manual. But here's a few extra bits.
After 68K miles both front discs were rusted onto the wheel hub. Also the phillips head screw holding the discs to the hubs was firmly rusted in place too.
After a failed attempt using a blow touch I drilled both screws out and used an M8 tap (1.00?) to clean up the threads.
I had to hammer both discs off as the rust on the inside of the disc hub was stopping the disc's sliding off. If I thought abought it I should've used a die grinder, file or hacking knife to remove the build up of rust on the inside hub of the disc.
Once off I cleaned up the face and edge of the hubs with 60 grit emery. Also cleaned up the contact points on the calipers where the pads mate.
Cleaned up the contact point on the caliper piston.
Cleaned up the rails where the pads hang onto caliper.
Copper grease on the hub face and edge, the rails where the claws of the pads hang, back of pads and disc to hub fixing screw.
Rubber (red) grease on the caliper piston rubber seal.
Checked for run out using a pencil held against clapier and rim of disc
There's two types of pads (claws and no claws) so you need to check which pads you've got before buying.
Back disc & brakes
The disc to hub screws weren't rusted on, but the disc's were.
I removed the calipers and in the space where the caliper was, I hammered off the disc. Hammer then turn the disc a bit and hammer again until they can be eased off the hubs.
Make sure the hand brake is off and you've reset/slakened the adjuster cog for the handbrake shoes. You've got to adjust the cog backwards by engaging it with a screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole. In a RHD vito, passenger side, turn the cog from top to bottom, and driver's side bottom to top. The cog rests against one of the handbrake shoe springs so you feel and hear every click as you rotate the cog.
I cleaned up the hub, and caliper as per the front ,sing 60 emery grit and a file to remove the rust.
Gave the inside hub of the new disc, where the handbrake pads mate, a rub with 60 grit also gave the surface of rhe handbrake pads a rub with e grit to remove the rust dust build up.
Again theres to types of pads (clawed and non-clawed) It depends on the make of caliper. Mine were Bosch and needed clawed pads.
My back calipers were slightly different from those shown in the Russek guide. Instead of 2 retaining pins holding the pads firm to the caliper there was a shim with retaining clip one end of the pads under the claws. Again this was rusted, so I gently hammered it out.
I couldn't work out how to remove the old wear sensors from the pads so bought new ones (these come as a pack with pairs of new shims, retaining pins, and 4 cross spings (£10.50 europarts)). Once I saw the new sensors I could see the old ones were held in place by a shoulder on the sensor.
Copper greased claws and backs of pads, shims, disc to hub screw, caliper piston mating surface and the rails where the claws of the pads hang.
Rubber (red) greased caliper piston seal.
After fitting the wheels I adjusted the handbrake cogs. The HB pads make slight contact even when off, so when you spin the wheel with the HB off you'll hear some slight contact.
It took a couple of days to replace the discs mainly because of the rust. The first disk front/rear is the slowest, then the next is full speed ahead.
UK cost Europarts ATE/OM
front discs pair £63, front pads in sensors £34
rear discs pair £39, rear pads £24 all inc. vat