Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power issues

805 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MagMog 
#1 ·
After a big sigh...here goes. I've read all the threads about how loss of power can result in a timing issue. Being new to mogs and learning, I have realized that what I am all of a sudden experiencing is a timing issue. Everything really runs great with her, but when I climb hills she losses power. What use to be going up our hill in 4th & 5th is now barely making it in 2nd & 3rd. I've worked on my Ford 8N (1948) tractor, my KLR650 but am having a complete loss on trying to get her back up and running like she was. I don't have a timing gun and really don't want to go that route. I have heard you can mess with the timing without. Not sure if that's true or not. I have attached a few pics of the distributor and area in the hopes that someone can show me the way!! Ha. I am at my end in trying to figure out what has happened. But am willing to learn and take advice from the pros. Like you guys. She heats up fast and that's not normal. On top of the loss of power. Scott from EI has been great to get me the parts I needed and the last was a new thermostat. But alas, was not the problem. Again learning. Maybe someone can give me a visual of what I need to do to get the timing correct. Just at a loss but don't want to throw in the towel yet. Thanks for any advice in advance. Cheers, Chris

*note: she is NOT overheating. Cools perfect. But still loss of power after idling for 10mins. And starting takes longer than normal. Thinking fuel filter.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could be lots of different things, bad fuel problem sounds like a good start. I would start looking at fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel tank pickup, and fuel tank vent. Pickup can be clogged with debris in the tank, pinched/clogged tank vent causes vacuum buildup that prevents pumping.

#3 ·
Most fuel problems are electrical in nature, but out-of-time problems don't usually just happen.

Condensers and coils, for example, do fail. Check for fire at the plug, my guess is a weak spark. Wires, Cap, coil, condenser, etc. A bad condenser gives problems like you describe, I think? Have you refreshed all these bits recently? If not, good time to.

C.

#5 ·
To answer your question on the tires...no it did not. I mean it did, but not in this way. This is a feeling of it wanting to go, but doesn't. Like in my Ford 8N, almost like a compression issue but with the tractor she runs a bit and then no issues. Still digging in! I think I will start with the wires and plugs and install a new fuel filter as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.