Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Unimog 404S help?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Nashorn101 
#1 ·
Hello,

New to the forum, been interested in Unimogs for a while, and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to own a military cargo truck of some kind.

I thought about buying a US 2.5 ton or a 5 ton truck - but to me those are just boring, and too big as well. I looked into buying a Unimog 1300L, but I think that truck is also just too big for me as well and too expensive, even thought it seems to have much more creature comforts than the 404 offers. So, that brings it down to a 404, a 404S to be exact. And yes I thought about a 416 - I just don't fancy how they look.

My question is: what are ya'll's thoughts, that you could present to a newbie, about the practicality of owning a 404?

• I have read that out of fear of transmission failure, most owners stop every hour of highway driving to keep the various brass bearings in the transmission from getting too hot; I also have read that if you completely take apart your transmission and clean out all of the cooling channels thoroughly, that this 'transmission failure' gremlin won't be a problem?
  • The safe top speed is 50mph? Correct?
  • The engine bay is very hard to work in due to the small hood, but the engine is still rather simple to perform maintenance on?
  • Portal axles on the highway - resulting in foaming oil - is this a true concern?
  • Do you LOVE your 404? Or just like it?

• I want this 404 mainly to use like you would use a pickup. Throw stuff in the bed. Haul around stuff. But at the same time, it'd be awesome to take in on some trails, and drive it around town.

I own a 2002 Jeep TJ, so I am used to not being able to have a conversation while driving down the highway, terrible gas mileage, and a low top speed with my 33" tires and measly 3.73 gears. With that being said, a 404 doesn't seem like it would be too foreign for me. I just am not sure if it's TOO slow on the highway and just not meant for the open road?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Safe top speed on the open highway is maybe 55+, but you will only attain that speed on flat land, at low elevation, with a tail wind.
Access to the rear of the engine is very good after removing the doghouse cover, easy
Portals seem to be fine, but some report high transmission temps. I never had a Transmission heating problem.
I like mine a lot.

It is not a replacement for a normal HD Pickup or full size SUV with trailer.
I have made several 1000 mile plus trips, heavily loaded, but always use a HD Pickup/SUV/trailer combo when available.

The bigger Unimogs would not be suitable in my area because of the narrow trails and low overhead, but the 18" or less cobbles are navigable.

I purchased mine for a specific rough back country project. It paid for it's self in the first 6 months. I keep it because it is damned fun, and I can get into back country places around my home that even Hummers have problems with (full width ground clearance).

depends on what you would use it for and where...

#4 ·
Understood. Thanks for the response!

It is certainly not a replacement for a Chevy Duramax 3500. But, for moving and for towing a trailer with a couple thousand pounds on it, is all I need it for!

The gasoline engine I imagine leaves much to be desired. But I'm in no hurry, I'll leave the speed and the highway wrecks to the tuners.

How exactly do you measure transmission temp? Is there a gauge on the cluster for that?

Where are you located Nashorn101?

Located in central Texas - however I am enlisting in the Marine Corps soon so I don't know where I'll be next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Okay, time for the dumb question of the day.

1961 S404.1, former Swiss troop carrier.

How difficult should it be to move the fuel selector from on to reserve?

he lever does not seem to want to move either to off or to reserve.

I hesitate to use too much force for fear of busting something - I'm good at doing that.

Appreciate all the help this forum provides to us Unimog novices.

Chris Watson

#10 · (Edited)
According to the RM model lists, both the 404.012 and the 404.013 came with the M130 engine stock. That makes more than 500 units, but those would have been late model civilian trucks in Europe, working in the field. The majority of 404 units in the US are going to be 404.113 and 404.114 former military units that were later imported. Those all had M180 engines stock, totaling 58000+ units. So that's more than 100-1 ratio of M180 to M130 produced, even higher ratio in the US due to importing trends. I would hazard a guess that the number of 404.11x M130-converted units in the US exceeds that of 404.01x M130-stock units.

#11 ·
According to the RM model lists, both the 404.012 and the 404.013 came with the M130 engine stock. That makes more than 500 units, but those would have been late model civilian trucks in Europe, working in the field. The majority of 404 units in the US are going to be 404.113 and 404.114 former military units that were later imported. Those all had M180 engines stock, totaling 58000+ units. So that's more than 100-1 ratio of M180 to M130 produced, even higher ratio in the US due to importing trends. I would hazard a guess that the number of 404.11x converted-M130 units in the US exceeds that of 404.01x stock-M130 units.

Well I was wanting to personally import a 404, but regardless, the numbers are still low for a factory M130...

Thank you for your response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.