Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

404 mog with om617A questions

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  MagMog 
#1 ·
i Have an om617A i am looking at picking up a 404 rolling chassis. i will be putting my jeep body on the frame. what is required to get the OM617A to bolt to the mog transmission?

i have searched the forum but nothing tells me anything about bolting it up to the trans without the 15* clocking bellhousing any info would be nice thanks

#2 ·
The 15deg adapter plate is required to allow the OM617 fuel injection pump to clear the 404 cab sheetmetal. With a Jeep cab, you are deep into uncharted territory. The Unimog transmission bellhousings, and various M/OM engines (excluding some much, much later versions), are a mix of proprietary bolt patterns, so you will have to fabricate a custom adapter.

#3 ·
#6 ·
''200HP our of that OM617a''
''but the drive Train will not agree, more than ~ 125Hp and 200 N/m and it will''

Though it will make a great short video before things start to go sideways...:devil

I think Joes unibuggy is a stock 404 motor running propane.. No need to muck with the adapter plate and such.

So what it the great gain from stuffing a OM617a in a 404??? Fuel mileage...I scoff at that, More HP..yeah but your still driving a brick.
I do make light fun of this but I'm truly curious at to why???
G Vavra

#7 ·
Swag factor, its like a 4BT with propane fogging in a CJ I guess.

#8 ·
If you drive on the street a lot then a 404 with a 617A is a god send. The driveability is huge. Better continuous top speed, better off the line torque etc etc. Can't recal the mileage as mine had a gigantic fuel tank that I could run on for months. Basically the 617A makes a semi practical highway vehicle out of a 404. Huge!!!

#14 ·
My point is that this has been discussed many times before and without the special bellhousing all you need to do is scrounge up the 300GD parts and start assembling/fabricating. This is where the search tool would make this whole thread moot, there have been an untold number of 404 chops, swaps, transplants and conversions out there that google alone can tell you what you need.

Joe seems to have a good handle on how to decimate 404 parts and somehow keep it rolling, have you made contact with him?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.