Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Some "Slight" dealer markup

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tkv000 
#1 ·
You too could own this fine Unimog 406 at the low low price of $69,900CAD!

Web page Website Font Advertising Vehicle

Or...you could buy it direct from the seller on the Unimog exchange and save $39,900CAD!!!

Text Font Line Document

Vehicle Transport Construction equipment Mode of transport Website

Yup, same unit, can't figure out why dealerships get such bad raps...:devil

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't forget the never ending press to buy the extended protection package. Last time around I told the guy to not mention the extended ANYTHING or I was walking out of the deal. He promptly shut up.

30k is a lot of mark up.

#7 ·
I had to go to this dealership today to get some parts (24v bulb and belt for the Wolf), if you can believe it, this unit is still there (I know right!), now wearing....well I'd call it camo but it's really no specific pattern? Headliner still sagging and homebuilt masonite(?) shift boot.

So, what does one get when they drop 69k at the dealership for a Unimog like this? Well you get some kind of a cab lift (I can't comment since I'm not familiar with them, I like my cabs where they were put on at the factory, again, personal preference and to each his own), lots of shiny tire spray (can you get that crap in a 45 gallon drum, cause they used it!), an unhooked cable of some kind (I'm guessing winch, but didn't care enough to find out), anything with rust is plastidipped or undercoated, right over top, bondo pock marks on the hood (didn't snap a pic, was laughing too hard) and undercoating sprayed on unprepped, non-degreased surfaces cracked and peeling away, just waiting to trap and hold moisture. Yes even the fuel tank was sprayed right over without prep by the looks of it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Auto part

Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Auto part Vehicle Drive shaft Automotive exterior Rust

Auto part Automotive tire Tire Vehicle brake Wheel

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Engine Automotive exterior

Tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Rattle can undercoating and lots, LOTS of overspray
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Engine Suspension part

They had a used Gwagon on the lot as well, anything rusty (licence plate bracket, tops of hinges, yeah that's right, not the whole hinge, JUST THE TOP if it was rusty, top of one hinge, 1/2 of another, the licence plate bracket wasn't even masked, just sprayed over and the bumper underneath), was plastidipped. Seems this dealership likes a quick dirty cover up for a sale. Potential buyers beware, ymmv of course.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on the PO, the rear box sides are really well done and a nice solution to a CASE deck that doesn't have sides, the picker for spare tire (didn't see one, probably extra?) is nice, and the rear winch mount (bumper isn't my thing but to each his own) is really well built. I'm really not into tires that size that require a cab lift. But when the dealership buys it for much less than 1/2 of the ask, and does a $hitty "detail" coverup and has the gall to ask 69k for that? Sheesh. Time to buy some rattle cans of undercoating and sell some farm equipment I have laying around.

Unclear if the spare engine and plow are included or extra, I didn't care to ask. Not enough clorox wipes to get the used car salesman grease off me if I did.

So....much.....undercoating....everywhere....They used undercoating like I used commas, way, way, to frequently.

#8 ·
Dude, it is a Mercedes Dealer!!! What could go wrong?
that little lift/crane looks like the top cut off of a $100 China Freight type engine hoist, inserted in a sleeve. Not a bad idea, and it might work, but only if that big tube thing is strong enough to handle a tire, I think it would be darn hard to pivot. That is probably the biggest selling point hence the price!

#12 ·
Bill is being crass classy in a Howard Hughes way, the MB dealer looks like he paints clowns and has something to show you in the crawl space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.