Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need a big but small WINCH!

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ALASKAT 
#1 ·
So I bought another Unimog. Imagine that and silly me. ;) And it is really big and heavy and has a Claas overdrive so a PTO winch is not an option.

I've checked into electric but with the way they are rated in the US, which is for pulling a rolling load up a slight grade on a hard surface, an 18K winch is not going to do squat if my 30 something thousand pound vehicle is stuck in anything beyond slippery wet grass. To prove that an electric winch on big Unimog is wishful thinking, a friend had his unimog that weighed maybe half of mine stuck in a pond and with 2 of those 18k Superwinches pulling at once it did not even budge. Took him many hours and multiple vehicles to eventually extract it.

I've looked into Ramsey hydraulic winches but the high pull rate, like 40,000 lb, are very heavy and big in size. I saw the link to that winch thread by Spicergear and will read through that, but according to the title that is for smaller winches on a 406.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but maybe someone has a good idea and has already researched this.

I never feel comfortable going offroad unless I have a winch and with this big of a Unimog if it gets stuck it's going to take something huge like a MANCAT to get to it and extract it, and those things aren't exactly on every corner, especially if I'm way off the beaten path somewhere. I need to be self sufficient with self extractability.

Maybe dual smaller european hydraulic winches might be the only option. I have more room to mount in the rear but am not sure where they would go at this point.

See less See more
#2 ·
What options (besides Claas OD) does this mysterious (hows about some details, pics, model, tire size, DIN plate? Rear implement brackets? 3pt hitch? color, 12v? 24v? Some of those details matter in finding solutions that are bolt on, or need fabrication, if you're going to ask for help/answers/advice, give the proper info. This isn't "guess the Unimog" or you'll get recommendations like this ↓) have? Onboard factory hydraulics? Highspeed PTO?

Product Toy

18k isn't the limit with electric, warn makes a 22k and 25k model for instance:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Technology Photography Electronic device

I've been really happy with my Superwinch hydraulic (H15P, Scott @ EI is a dealer if you are looking for a Unimog friendly recommendation). If that's not big enough you could look into the Werner hydo powered winches, pullmaster, any of the "big" guys. A "good" hydraulic winch and a snatch block or two with a suitable anchor point, you'll be fine for any situation that is less than needing a CAT D12 or Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane.

A Werner F38/F56 can be had in hydro for instance is a compact (in Unimog terms) 6.1t winch that will pull it's share of Unimog along, can be front or rear mounted, has a locking prawl (first pic is the PTO version, but same idea but with a hydro motor):

Attachments

#4 ·
More info would be useful. Voltage, do you have hydraulics, what type Mog, what type usage. For example a 30k+ Unimog (assuming SBU since you mention the Claas) is pretty heavy. I'm no fan of electric winches but an 18k winch, used correctly will pull a 30k Unimog past more than wet grass. I've used pretty basic 9k electric winches to pull 16k Unimogs out of really stuck situations. I've also used 3.5 ton tirfors to extract 15k Unimogs. A lot of it has to do with how you use the winch. Just using snatch blocks will double your pulling capacity. Multiple snatch blocks using several anchors will significantly increase your pulling power to the point where you can use tirfors. It is slow but it will get you out.

However, I would recommend a hydraulic winch since most of the electric winches don't have a very good duty cycle. Despite the marketing, most are just recreational. Poor duty cycles, brutal on the batteries and not being very waterproof, are all reasons to stay away from them. The only advantage is they are easiest to install. Yes, if your engine stops you can winch for a few extra feet, but if your engine stops you are still stuck so winching a few extra feet is the least of your problems.

The Werner, HPC and Mercedes winches, hydraulic and PTO, are excellent winches but for self recovery they are a bit overkill. They are big and heavy with lots of front overhang. If you plan on using a winch regularly they are excellent but for self recovery, I'd go for something a bit smaller. The milemarker hydraulic winches are worth considering as well as the Warn Ramsey, etc commercial hydraulic winches. With a hydraulic winch I really do not see why you would need anything bigger than 18k. Most of the Werner winches spec'd for Unimogs rarely go beyond 16K unless they are logging or specialty winches. If you can't get out using an 18k winch I'm not so sure you will get out with a winch with twice the capacity.

#5 ·
Superwinch makes some bigger 25-30 ton hydro winches also that are pretty nice from what I have seen.

C.

#7 ·
Warn Series 18. I have a much lighter Volvo C304 that's 24v. Up front is a Sepson that mounts to a receiver like found originally for the Hagglunds. For the rear I have a Series 18 Warn unit like what is mounted on the MRAP trucks that are 14+ tons. It's nothing like the 15,000 Warn I had. They are very reasonably priced from surplus dealers. "Weatherproof with potted contractors" eliminating the solenoids. There's a bit of info on sites like Steel Soldiers. Good luck with new rig. I see your playing with the KTM, I've been bitten by trials bug and riding a Scorpa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.