Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Advice Needed - Unimog 421 Engine swap with Nissan SD33T

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom400CFI 
#1 ·
Hi Moggers,

I have Unimog 421 (U600L) with OM616.912 and the engine and IP needs major repair. I am thinking to swap the Engine with Nissan SD33T (3.3L 6cyl). I searched the google for similar swap but unable to find information, therefore bothering you guys.

I highly appreciate if someone could spotlight on the swap and provide necessary information and consideration for the swap.

Thanking in advance.

Regards,

Abdul
abdulr76 at gmail.com

#2 ·
I think you will have issues with mating up the motor to the trans. as well as the Nissan motor being too long to fit into the frame. I was looking at putting an OM617A into a 421 for a trail rig. The 617 has the same bell housing as the 615-616 used in the 421 so it would bolt right up to the transmission. Would be way more HP with the turbo motor and would run forever. My project never got off the ground, but I would think it would be way easier than going the Nissan route.

#3 ·
Thanks Von,

Your suggestion is right but unfortunately majority of older Mercedes were disposed so nobody importing parts. I have seen 240Ds engine swap with Toyota and Mazda engines due to ample availability of parts and expertise. Coming back to our issue of engine swap I found only one YouTube 404 with 3.3T, just take a look for fun.

Anyway, could you suggest any other engine except Mercedes Diesel.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.