Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New Mercedes X Class

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ACAD_Cowboy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The german Magazin "Spiegel" writes:
Mercedes Concept X-Klasse: Der Unimog für Reiche (Mercedes Concept X-Class: The Unimog for the rich)

MB says:
The difference between the Navara and the X-Class is the V6 diesel engine set from the Mercedes modular set, as well as a completely independent interior and design. "We have changed everything we can see, touch and feel," said Marion Friese, a marketing chief, compared with the Nissan pick-up. LED headlights, networking with the Mercedes-Me server and a wide range of assistance systems will make the X-Class the technology leader in the segment

#6 ·
How does what headlights it has qualify as a follow up to "We have changed everything..." Obviously the headlights are part of everything, but...

C.

#9 ·
I saw a TV ad during a Broncos game a few weeks ago for what LOOKED like a MB Metris. Wasn't paying attention so it could have been a weird Sprinter, but I don't think so. I had no idea they sold the Metris in NA (or, at least the USA), but I'm not part of their target demographic...

#11 ·
They are moving it in NA to compete with Ford and Dodge and to a degree Nissan for the city van market but MB price points being what they are its hard to justify. Its not hard to get a LWB High Roof van any more and MB has been dragging their feet for so long on what ever they call 4matic these days that they have almost nothing unique to justify the pricing.

As for the X Class... This sounds a lot like the Chrysler Crossfire but in reverse. Is the typical MB consumer looking for a heavy half ton pickup? If so don't they already own a FunMog or two?

#12 ·
Yeah but it's really hard to get your never ridden but look how much I paid for it moutain bike into the back of a funmog to drive around town and park outside the local starbucks for a non-fat soy latte. With the new X-class you can get it loaded into the box easier, and it's lower down so more people can see the bike you never use for anything other than a conversation starter.

Remember, they have made it crystal clear they have NO interest in the North American truck market:

former AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg, who is currently in charge of Mercedes’ van division and thus the pickup project, explains that the Benz truck will not mix it up with the American haulers: “We’re not going to develop a fat cowboy truck for North America,”he’s quoted as saying.
:eek

#13 ·
Yeah but it's really hard to get your never ridden but look how much I paid for it moutain bike into the back of a funmog to drive around town and park outside the local starbucks for a non-fat soy latte. With the new X-class you can get it loaded into the box easier, and it's lower down so more people can see the bike you never use for anything other than a conversation starter.
All in good fun, but believe me when I say getting your look how much I paid for it mountain bike on the back of our funmog and enjoy the outdoors all while sipping chai tea lattes is certainty possible. OK, so we were waaayyy outside of town with no Starbucks in sight, but you get the idea...

Attachments

#16 ·
"Fat Cowboy Truck" ? I don't think Herr Mornhinweg would know one if he saw one (hint - real ones usually have a couple of cattle or sheep dogs in the bed, chillin' on some hay).

I got one of them trucks up by the barn, parked next to the Mog. I suspect my Dodge (Dodge, not Ram) 1 ton crew cab dual axle with a big diesel motor is a better cowboy truck then anything AMG Volker could come up with. Maybe a few carbon fiber skirts on the Dodge to "AMG-a-tize" it ?

#18 ·
Shocking. Wonder if the VW Amarok gobbled up its sales?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.