Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can a 2-battery pickup jump-start a 24V FLU-419 SEE?

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  tkv000 
#1 ·
My 2002 Cummins Dodge has two batteries, i.e. 24V if hooked up in parallel, to the proper 24v NATO connector on my Freightliner Mog (which indeed has a cold-start button, which isn't connected to any ether-delivery system I can find), or will this blow my pickup's alternator?

-Eric

#3 ·
You must disconnect the batteries from the Dodge's electrical system to do this. If you don't you will have a mess.

You can use the batteries as a source for a jump, just not the truck they are in.

C.

#4 ·
24v Lithium jump packs are getting popular. Light, decent output, I've personally seen one (12v version) jump start an international grain truck that sat for 10+ years with a 578ci engine, pretty decent for the weight. (random internet pic of a unit, not recommending this unit, just first one that came up in google image search)

Porsche is now offering a Lithium Ion battery for some of their cars as a lightweight option. Just an interesting tidbit (ok, I was pricing out a Porsche Cayman GT4 the other day, no, I can't afford one, just dreamin')

Yeah, I know the wires look lightweight but they work.

Attachments

#5 ·
You can jump start a 24 volt system with a 12 volt system, just hook your cables to one 12 volt battery, positive to positive and negative to negative. That's how Paul jump started my BW ambulance at the port to start it with weak bats, using his Dodge Dakota pickup. Fired it right up by just jumping to one battery. After that my 55 amp 24 volt alt. Charged them up on my trip through the Canadian Rockies to Trevs place. ???
In the dead cold of a Canadian winter!!-- sure was a fun trip. I want to do it again-- in the Mog.

#6 ·
Hiya Terry! Most times the two 12v batteries in series have not deteriorated at the same rate. One can still have some life in it, but the other is dead. A dead cell (battery) can 'charge' backwards and negate the voltage of the decent battery, cancelling out what voltage is available. I suggest you got lucky and bridged the bad battery with the jumping battery and achieved near 24v.

Bridging just one battery at a time can often work fine, if you bridge the worst one.

Trev, those new technology battery packs are awesome! I have a couple of 12 volt ones on order. Gonna see if putting them is series works ok. AND I can use them for my ham radio stuff, 12v and 24v.

Bob

#7 ·
Trev, those new technology battery packs are awesome! I have a couple of 12 volt ones on order. Gonna see if putting them is series works ok. AND I can use them for my ham radio stuff, 12v and 24v.

Bob
Those lithium batteries do crank out the current. However, be aware that they can source SO MUCH current that the battery will explode in a flash of white hot metal shards. Lead acid cells have enough internal resistance that they are somewhat current limited (at least to the point where they PROBABLY won't self-immolate, taking the user along for the ride).

I would not be comfortable with today's class of lithium power cell unless it had some sort of short circuit protection. In my mind, its doubtful a pack designed for high current starting AND probably made in a safety conscious (not) country in Asia would have such (high cost) protection.

Beware and be safe !

Reactions: hammogger
#12 ·
If you can get a hold of the factory NATO jump cable that screws into the port above/beside/below the battery box, those, those are heavy cables! BloodyGerman gave me a set and I couldn't believe how heavy they were. Easy enough to put ends on one side and have the other end still screw into the mog's terminal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.