Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

max cruising speed in 617a 404

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DokaTD 
#1 ·
I have had this conversion done 2 yrs ago. And just recently had pyro and oil temp gauge installed.stock tranny.40inch tires. I have a sorkel on and exhaust stack coming out by passenger side. As well as the engine does not have a modified cover so im basically right on it . All adding up to making it bloody loud at 60km .
all Gauges read fine ( no tach) but wondering if anyone knows comfortable crusing speed with this engine and stock gears?

#3 ·
I've got the same problem in my 404. There are a few things that you can do to cut down the noise:

1. Stuff the space between the engine covers and the engine with Roxul brand insulation.

2. Make sure that the exhaust is not hard-mounted to the frame or the cab.

3. Is your cab hard-mounted, or do you have the rubber lift blocks which should be used with the conversion?

4. Wear noise-reduction earmuffs (I do).

As an afterthought, if your flywheel was not properly balanced you might have some unnecessary vibration being created. Where did you get your flywheel balanced? I couldn't find any place in Kelowna who could do the job properly, and got mine done in Kamloops.

#4 ·
Hard mounted but I think I will add atleast .5 inch blocks. To the side mounts. Do you do anything with front mount?.also there are a couple tight spots cab to engine that will be dealt with when I bring it to get engine cover built.
I have the conversion out of germany where im using the beefed up clutch/bellhousing so balancing wasnt an issue so I was told.
that blows me away thinking cruising at 60mph As Of right now I dont like going past 60km/h but I will get a tach installed ASAP. Any idea at what rpm 60mph is ?

#5 ·
It's been too long to remember the RPM I was running, but it's the same as a stock 404 with gasoline engine. The OM617 is a high revving Diesel engine which is one reason it is a fairly good conversion. Redline of the engine occurs around 75mph+ or so as I recall but again it has been awhile.

#9 ·
Mine was a 404.0 doka. I sold it back in 2008 or so. I still have a 404 but it runs a gas engine still. I am sure there are lots of pics of mine floating around and a fair bit of tech regarding the OM617. Not sure where my old truck is now as it has traded hands a few times now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.