Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

404 Air Cleaner - what am I missing?

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  thomn8r 
#1 · (Edited)
When I first got my 404, I was going through all of the (assumed) deferred maintenance; when I got to the air cleaner, I found a surprise! The original oil bath air cleaner had been gutted and there was a little K&N crammed in there. Judging by the pix I've attached, it wasn't super-effective.

I tried to buy an NOS unit from EI, but there were supply issues, so I finally decided to see if I could find the missing parts. I looked up the unit on the EI site and it looks like I just need the filter element and the two gaskets (diagram #'s 200, 209, and 205 - Air Intake System) I have the oil bowl with clips.

In the mean time, I replaced the dinky K&N with a larger one I had laying around (hey, it was better than nothing)

I'd also like to find an original snorkel while I'm at it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't believe the bottom of the pipe running down into the oil bath is supposed to be notched. If that's the case, you're probably better off spending the $130 and starting from scratch with a quality item you can trust.

Expedition Imports or Unipaser should have pretty much everything in stock. It's worth checking the UK eBay site once in a while as well. I've had decent luck finding components overseas either not available here or somewhat overpriced.

I know Scott had the factory snorkel, seal, and cap recently (you'll need all three). I don't believe Unipaser has any at this time. Be prepared to spend some money, though, the components aren't cheap.

Patrick

#4 ·
The most important part of the oil bath filter is the mass of "brillo pad" stuff in the upper housing. That's obviously missing from the upper housing in the pictures and is difficult to re-install. Without that mass of filter material there's no point in buying the 'element' that sits in the oil in the bottom, or the gaskets. Hate to see you throw money away.

That 'brillo pad' mass in the upper housing does much of the filtering of fine dust, with the dust collecting on the fine oil-covered mesh. Then the dust gets washed back to the bottom by gravity acting on the oil.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious?

Bob

#5 ·
Bob, Hit it on the head. The upper portion of your housing has been gutted. You need an upper. We have lots of the lower filter elements and gaskets, but we are currently out of the complete assemblies.

It's find of funny. For years they sat out in a container and we rarely sold them. Seems there was a glut as everyone pulled them out to put other filters on. Then the tides changed and about 3-5 years ago people decided to go back to stock.......We probably burned thru 20-25 in the last 3 years.

We won't have replacements until late this year as I need to go digging on my next trip to my warehouse overseas. Check the other usual sources......

Cheers,

Scott

#6 ·
Thanks! I was unable to find any pix of one of these disassembled, and the only parts that were obviously missing to me were the bits I mentioned.

I'm somewhat familiar with the oil-bath air cleaner, as all of my VWs have them - they're just a lot smaller than the Unimog unit, but for some reason a lot more expensive.

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks! I'm slowly trying to get it back to a somewhat original/correct state.

Also be careful to lock the access cover back into place or the first time you drive that door will be toast. Been there, done that, no more door there.
Someone beat me to it - my door is already tweaked. I almost tweaked it again, though. A few days ago, I opened it to to take pix for this thread, and forgot to close it. A friend was over last weekend and I was showing him something and noticed the door was hanging down!

#12 ·
Here is the 404 Snorkel information I have on file:

SA 35130

Up Pipe is the 404 550 09 57 it replaced the 404 140 00 56. This part is still available from MB Well over $200.

The cyclone Cap 006 094 17 02 is no longer available MB.

The standard rain cap is 404 551 0005 is no longer available MB.

The gasket between the snorkel and body is 404 551 00 90 and is no longer available MB, we have about 30 pieces remaining stock.

There have been a number of attempts at aftermarket options which usually run into barriers of cost/demand.

Cheers,

Scott

#13 ·
Forgot the shot from the inside. I didn't have any appropriately-sized clamps so ignore the breather line.

While I am a big fan of the oil-bath air cleaner, and keeping the truck original, after installing this and attaching the oil bowl, I can completely understand why someone would want to eliminate the oil bath. I don't agree, but I understand.

Attachments

#14 ·
While I am a big fan of the oil-bath air cleaner, and keeping the truck original, after installing this and attaching the oil bowl, I can completely understand why someone would want to eliminate the oil bath. I don't agree, but I understand.
What, you don't like wearing oil up in your armpits? I understand completely. At least one of the three snap hooker thingys will always be where it cannot snap. Also be careful to lock the access cover back into place or the first time you drive that door will be toast. Been there, done that, no more door there.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.