Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SBU Alternator and/or Hydraulic Pump Mounting Options

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  hammogger 
#1 ·
Hi all,

We are in the final stages of our camper build and we are working to add an additional alternator to our engine. We have empty races on the main pulley and are for ideas for mounting.

Does anyone have pictures of the optional hydraulic pump setup and where it mounts? Or any other photos of accessories that run off the main pulley? Looking for some inspiration.

Thanks, we plan to post a full write up of our build once done!

#2 ·
Simple search will yield the results you seek:

good shots of a low mount (where the factory hydro pump is) here

Good photo series by Truktor on AC compressor mounting in the upper area here as well

Ian has a photo series of his mount here

Some more here (I'd recommend reading his thread front to back, lots of great idea's there for camper mog guys)

These are all AC compressors but same idea as mounting an additional alternator.

Another similar thread

#5 ·
I'm curious. Why do you want another alternator? Maybe to have one 12v and one 24v? If only for capacity, why not just replace the small original with a larger aftermarket alternator?

FYI, I ran across an alternator removed from an MRAP (many being scrapped) that puts out over 600 amps at 24 volts. Wow!

Bob

#7 ·
Hi MogTug

What i will do on My Mog is ; put a 160 Amp !2 volt Alternator from Prestolite on the Motor .
This Alternator runs all my Electrical Needs e.g. Mog it self , Camper , Winches and so on .
For welding i use a Inverter welder over the Camper Inverter (3000W ) .
This way i have the ability to weld even when the Engine is not running , using the house Batteries .
Another Option would be to go behind the gearbox , where the take off is for the big Hydraulic pump and attach a big welder there .
Cheers Urs

#9 ·
Yeah we actually used to carry a small Hobart mig welder, but we are trying to conserve space as we are leaving for South America and then Africa. I did look into an AC powered spool gun, as we have a big inverter on board, but in the end decided adding a 12v unit that could do double duty was the best balance of size and weight. Our mog is 24v, so we still wanted a high amp back up to solar. But the small guns like (goweld.com) also look pretty slick.

#10 ·
OK, here is a miss mash of A/C condenser mounts, Alternator mounts, etc. Probable a couple of 406 pieces (Hydraulic pumps…)have slipped in…
A.

Attachments

#13 ·
P.D.
The belts are listed for the OM366A

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.