Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My new Mercedes two door, two seat convertable

70K views 438 replies 51 participants last post by  Britbike2001 
#1 ·
Bagged me a bagger, minus the bagger :grin

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Truck Car

So I've always wanted a Cabrio, I think they just "look right". Weird in my climate for sure. Oddly enough, when I sold the RW1 I looked hard for one but coudn't find the right unit. Then I stumbled into the 1700 and went that direction. Fast forward a bit and I sold the 1700, and low and behold not a few weeks later, a 406 Bagger (missing the hoe, it was imported without) pops up, locally. Well you can't tell me that's not fate if you believe in that sort of thing :devil

Reason I jumped on this unit was condition. It's mint. Just under 18,500km's and a shade under 900hrs on the odo and hour meter. If I had to describe it it would be akin to a time capsule. It's never been monkeyed with, never had holes drilled in it, no rust, none, driven a few times a year. So first order of business will be replacing anything and everything rubber, tires, belts, hoses, brake lines, all fluids flush and fill, ect. I realize that sitting is just as bad or worse for a Unimog as heavy daily use, but I'm prepared for that.

Then perhaps finding a front DIN plate and mounting my plow, maybe. I may still buy another "working" Unimog or midsized tractor we'll see. This unit is so clean, I just want to put a big glass box over it, stick on a giant motorized turntable car show style, and redecorate the living room :)

Also I'll be looking for an original Backhoe and front dirt blade for it (if nothing more than to just have the original kit for it) but even without, it's a nice, clean 406 Cabrio.

Anyway, pic's or it didn't happen right? Check out the minty freshness:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for the dark pictures, I'll get more on the weekend when I'm home in actual daylight :grin

All the factory "checked this bolt" paint in intact, it's cleaner than even my RW1, cleanest Unimog I've seen in person. I also got the original toolbox (shown in my truck as I didn't want it to slide out, no rear wall on the box of the bagger due to it suppose to have a backhoe instead ;) ) so I'll be looking for a rear wall as well.

Attachments

#5 ·
Wooohoooeeeee
Yep those silly Mog Gods!!
And you "Found" it all of 2 hours away? Bllllaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhhaaaa X 10.
DAS FUUUNNNY!
Like I said in coaches thread " won't be surprised when he has one of the sweetest mogs on Benz World. Mog Karma!
Congrats Trev, looks like it just drove out of an ammo can!

#6 ·
Oh, and I'd like to say thanks to Slothmog and Britbike2001 for fielding my "pre-purchase" questions ;) And Truktor for already having a great photo thread on these machines for me to reference

Erwin,

Can't say for sure for "preservation" but I've used sno-seal on canvas boots with good results.

I'd like to keep this truck as original as possible, but at the same time, I have to use it, just have to. I'm thinking of adding an Espar/webasto air and engine heater (24v, of course)

#11 ·
Well, I must say, all the yellow and red still on the inspection and maintenance points sure sets this unit apart from all the others. Beauty. You won't miss the dozer blade but the hoe, well, everyone needs a hoe. I like mine. She kinda dirty right now.............

Hey, you're snorkel looks different from the ones on mine and my buddies Bagger. Ours is a mushroom top which is as high as the roof. Got any close ups of yours for comparison?

#13 ·
Congratulations, Trev. That thing is a rare find.Rust is the horrible ghost, and it feels so nice to not have it anywhere, eh ?
Hmm, top down, could maybe go Varmint hunting from the driver's seat, if that is even legal up there.

As far as Sno-Seal, I don't think I'd smear it on that nice canvas lid, if it is the same Sno-Seal we used on our boots. When I was on the Mountain Rescue team, every winter, we'd re-treat our (leather) winter Boots with Sno-Seal. It was just part of the ritual, so we'd have dry feet. A friend on the team asked this question:" If I smear a 1 pound can of Sno-Seal on my boots every year, where does it go ? Do my boots
get 1 pound heavier every year, and I am just carrying more weight on my feet each year ?"
Ummm….we all looked at him and thought….Good Question. It goes into the leather, and it has a weight….and it never seems to come out of
the leather, so….?

Anyway, that is a beauty, and I'm sure you will have a smile on your face, which I think is one of the more valuable UNIMOG accessories :
A Smile.

#14 ·
Congratulations, Trev. That thing is a rare find.Rust is the horrible ghost, and it feels so nice to not have it anywhere, eh ?
Hmm, top down, could maybe go Varmint hunting from the driver's seat, if that is even legal up there.

Anyway, that is a beauty, and I'm sure you will have a smile on your face, which I think is one of the more valuable UNIMOG accessories :
A Smile.
It's not even legal to lean on, touch, or be in any way in contact with a vehicle (quads, side by sides, trucks included) and discharge a firearm (no over hood shooting) up here :crying But, I have factory door gun racks...so that's awesome.

Yeah, I'm pretty darn happy with the find/purchase. Just pricing out some XM-47's right now (405/70's) I realize that they (14.5's) might rub the hydraulic feed hose so I'll have to go home and measure and see about clearance before ordering. They can have the tires in two weeks from time of order which isn't bad.

#16 ·
Holy crap that was fast! You sure don't screw around!
Ok - good now at least one of the mods has a Mog again :grin
That really looks like an amazing find and your the perfect person to now own it!!
Just don't do anymore test drives for a bit and you'll enjoy it for a long time:devil
Cheers and congrats
Dan

#21 ·
New mog 406 cabrio

Trev
My last BW 416 cabrio was identical in color and condition!! That's a nice mog!
The canvas sealer protectant you want is called " Ducksback" canvas water protectant as well as UV rays. Preserves and seals.
That is a nice mog.
Grats 2u
TLane

#25 ·
It went "away". The faeries came and left a pile of cash under his pillow. :grin

#23 ·
Ok so need some help with part numbers/year of manufacture etc.

I want to order a new water pump and gasket kit for safety sake (the old one likely has never been greased, and it's weeping out the weep hole, it may seal up by why take the chance) and a new water pump would suck to get the wrong one (there is of course...two different ones) and the VIN doesn't bring up the data card in the EPC, thus, I can't look up what the proper one is, so I'm turning to you guys for help.

I thought the new mog was either a '77 or '87. There's a tag under the hood that says 8/87 so that's why I thought it was an 87 see:

Text Headstone Font Number

It says:

Überholt d.

Daimer Benz AG

Werk

NL Augsburg

Mat. Erh. St. 4

Datum

BWB
1135 8/87

I **think** that means the Unimog was run back though the BW (Augsburg plant?) and rebuilt in '87? so it could indeed be a '77, and that would put it more in line with the other baggers around. Thoughts?

EDIT: Just spotted "77" cast into the housing that bolts onto the top of the water pump, I'd assume that to be of 1977 vintage.

Now, if the Unimog is '83 or older, and engine up to 760548 then I order water pump "A"

If the Unimog is '83-90, from engine 760548 - 999999 then I order water pump "B"

Here's my engine tag:

I take that number, which is 353 - 902 - 10 - 431800 to be lower than the "A" pump, so I order pump "A"?

#29 ·
New Tires are ordered. I measured and it looks like the hydro hose will be in the way but movable (as I've read on this forum, many thanks to those that went down this road before me). I contemplated going with a stock 12.5x20 but then I seen this picture, and the decision was made :devil

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.