Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Start Pilote Refill

16K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  ChappyMOG 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a source near the Fort Drum, NY area? I'm down to my last can....

#4 ·
It is not shippable. Find someone headed to the EU or Briton and get them to buy you a can. How they get it to you is a matter for you and him/her to address, but not on a public forum...

C.

#9 ·
I pulled up this old Start Pilote (SP) thread instead of starting another. Two weeks ago some cold weather prompted me to look at the long-dormant Start Pilote system on the wood splitting 406. A neighbor asked to split some wood.

The reservoir was empty and pristine on this TN Unimog so there's a good chance it was never used. Some Start Pilote fluid left over from Colorado preparedness (but never used it) was put in, and startup was immediate. Yeah!

Well, yesterday I needed the mog again. There was still fluid in the reservoir so SP was ready, but, the battery was barely capable. After a couple of very slow cranking failed starts with numerous (5 or 6?) pumps on the SP, I put the charger on the battery for a few hours. When I came back I didn't put in more starting fluid because I knew I put in plenty on the earlier attempt. The result of pushing the starter was almpst immediate 'twang' from the engine, like a big hammer hitting an anvil, and dead stop on the engine. Fingers crossed, second time, same results. Note that the engine was turning over then stopped abruptly with the noise. Cranking was still slow though (old 8D battery).

This is, or was, a solid engine so I think this is simply a detonation from the over-use of starting fluid. Compression starts in appropriate cylinder, get detonation, and that stops piston (note weak battery and very slow cranking). I do not have the guts to try again until all traces of fluid have dissipated....maybe next June.

Has anyone experienced this? I really do not think there is a serious engine problem because it has only turned over slowly and weakly. If someone else has had an engine do that with MB starting fluid, it will be a relief.

Bob

#11 ·
Correct:

Bei anhaltenden Außentemperaturen un
ter -15° C wird das Anlaßverhalten mit
Hilfe des Startpilot normalisiert und die
Kaltstartsicherheit verbessert.
Auskuppeln, Fahrfußhebel durchtreten,
und während des Anlassens sowie nach
einiger Lrma'rehungen des Motors die
Luftpumpe der Anlaßkraftstoffanlage
(Startpilot) mit 1 bis 2 Hub/s betätigen.
Die Anlage besteht aus der Luftpumpe
in der Instrumententafel, dem Vorratsbe
hälter für Anlaßkraftstoff im Motorraum
und der Einspritzdüse im Luftsaugrohr.
Vorratsbehälter füllen siehe 3.3.11
Or in badly translated Engrish:

If symptoms persist outside temperatures below -15 ° C the starting behavior is with Normalized using the Start Pilot and Cold start security improved.

Disengage, drive pedal pass,
and during the start and after
Lrma'rehungen (cranking???) some of the engine
Pump the starter Fuel System
(Start Pilot) with 1 to 2 stroke / s press.
The system consists of the air pump
in the instrument panel, the Vorratsbe
containers for starting fuel in the engine compartment
and the injection nozzle in the air suction pipe.
Reservoir filling see 3.3.11
Basically, Start cranking, when it starts to catch, use the Start Pilot to assist in starting. I think. I really gotta scan my English manuals...

I think that's probably what Bob was doing but the battery died, thus some was left floating in the engine when he returned to crank it over.

#14 ·
My truck with the fuel pump cranked up and the timing advanced, it can be hard to start when cold. So I give the SP two pumps before hitting the start button and continue pumping as it cranks. It will then fire right up when real cold. If I don't do it, the truck can be a real bear to start. I guess its the trade off for the extra power from the motor.

#15 ·
That's and interesting observation Von. My truck (as you are painfully aware from having had to follow me up hills) is still in the 84hp form, however it happily starts at zero degrees F, albeit with on average of three 30 second cranking bursts. Pretty good for a 40+ year old engine with no glow plugs. Wish my Kubota was as good.

Since the Vario Pilote juice is now Unobtanium, I've pitched the entire system and don't seem to miss it, but might if I ever get around to turning up the IP and tweaking timing.

#17 ·
It's just ether, you could adapt any tractor start system and use normal starting fluid if needed.
True indeed. I have an aftermarket ether injection system on my U1300L that seemed to work quite well before I got the hydronic system in place. It is a Quick Start brand that injects ether directly into the intake prior to the head cover. Currently I have an 18 oz ether bottle installed which is about 1/2 used and will last me quite some time yet. Easy to find online (including spares, etc) and seems to do the job very well. Just a button (cable pull in my case) in the cab which activates the valve in the system as you crank the engine.

Products | Quick Start

Attachments

#25 ·
I contacted a vendor in EU. and I can buy all the cans of refill I want,but shipping is the problem as aerosols are prohibited by air.
some states have outlawed starting fluid , Thats just another thing you will need a license for...($$$ Grab)California still has on the books''cannot setup a mouse trap without a hunting license''' , Makes you wonder.:grin
G Vavra

#26 ·
I called my local dealer, he figures he can get it, but being listed as dangerous goods, its $70.90!

Part number is A0005550010

Again, it's nothing more than Ether, the WHMIS is identical to most starting fluids on the market. SOME starting fluids you can pop the fill nozzle off, and it will fit onto the start pilot reservoir and allow you to fill.

No surprise some states have outlawed it, some states have outlawed filling of your own vehicle! Good thing we have goobermint to protect us from ourselves.

Crank it up!

#31 ·
I called my local dealer, he figures he can get it, but being listed as dangerous goods, its $70.90!

Part number is A0005550010

Again, it's nothing more than Ether, the WHMIS is identical to most starting fluids on the market. SOME starting fluids you can pop the fill nozzle off, and it will fit onto the start pilot reservoir and allow you to fill.

No surprise some states have outlawed it, some states have outlawed filling of your own vehicle! Good thing we have goobermint to protect us from ourselves.

Crank it up!
If it makes you feel better, the previous owner of the 1300 I bought had a bottle from mercedes, and the price was 45 euro.....Remember this because I thought that was crazy expensive!

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.