Unimog Alternator Problems, also Wiring Diagram and Manual Needed - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unimog Alternator Problems, also Wiring Diagram and Manual Needed

Hello,

One day when I start the engine of my Unimog, the RPM did not function. And then smoke comes out from the dash board. I see a brown wire, burnt from the dust on the alternator. I would like to rewire my Unimog, and I need a wiring diagram and probably the external voltage regulator too.

Any information on where to get an instruction manual and wiring diagram for the Unimog U1400L would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: Mogless...for now.
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Manual

Wiring diagram will be in here: Workshop Manual Set - U435 [UKD304022142] - $360.00 : Eurotruck Importers, Your source for Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles and spare parts!

But that's for the 435, yours is a 427 so check with others to see if the wiring diagram is the same.

-Trev
Mogless, looking for my next Unimog
#3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: Unimog S 404.114
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
guude,

the wiring is not different to other german vehicles, for searching use "anschuß lichtmaschine" and you'll find many diagrams.
i can't imagine the 427 having an external regulator, usualy integrated in the alternator.

for using instructions, usualy with wiring (i can ask if inclouded), look here:

www.BuchundBild.de Unimog-Shop - alles rund um den Unimog und MBtrac - Buch&Bild - Unimog Unimogs MBtrac MB-trac MB trac U 411 U 2010 U 404 U 406 Unimog 401 402 Unimog 403 406 413 416 Unimog 404 Unimog 407 Unimog 411 Unimog 417 Unimog 421 Unimog 424/

gut mog! justus.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1974 DOKA 406
I just replaced my alternator on my Mog, the Brown wire that you have behind the instrument cluster is a ground wire, there should be a contact point where several wire are terminated. If it is loose or making a bad connection you can burn the wire or wires.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: U1000Ag
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to krietpiel
Is this a common problem ?. I noticed on my Mog that the Brown wire is also just about "dust" and on my list for replacing. Seems a problem in the way MB configured the connection - or is there a common mistake owners make ?
Might be worth running an extra connection to the chassis/engine.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1974 DOKA 406
That is what I am doing, there are about 6-8 wire that are brown colour and are terminated at one point. The heater hose that goes across the cab behind the instrument cluster has been rubbing on those wires and wearing the to the point where the copper is now bare. I am checking all the wires just to be on the safe side. That is a great Idea to run a dedicated line to the contact point, that way you are not relying on the cab braided wire from the frame to the cab for a connection. I will be running 1/0 welding cable from the negative side of the battery to the instrument side so that I have a great connection.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.