Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

406 rescue help info thoughts advice

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  coachgeo 
#1 ·
Ex 404 owner just purchased a 1979 406 shunter
It was running when parked and started and ran yesterday but I could not drive due to other stuff blocking it! Anyway good bunch of guys tried to get it on trailer this morning and now it's stuck in reverse with two busted shifters also clutch did not feel like it was connected! How do I get it in neutral to winch on trailer? Or at least so I can run and try to figure out hyd to raise rail wheels thanks
Bill from MA

#2 ·
Sounds like you have a project on your hands... The clutch feeling "disconnected" sounds like a hydraulic problem with the clutch engagement/disengagement system. You could have a bad master cylinder, bad slave cylinder, failed lines, or all of the above. As far as the trans being stuck in reverse, is the truck on any kind of incline? if it is and the clutch pedal is not working, then it might just have too much of a load on the trans to get the forward/reverse lever to move... you might try to rock the truck back and fourth while trying to get the forward/reverse lever to come into neutral. You should also be able to get the main shifter to a neutral position to allow it to roll if the f/r lever won't budge, that is unless it is broken off or rusted stuck. If all else fails and you cannot get any of the shifters out of gear, then you may have to get a pry bar and lever the clutch arm at the slave cylinder and block it so that the clutch is "in" without use of the pedal. If you do this, be careful if/when you start the truck, as I have seen these units have the clutch disc rusted to the flywheel when being parked for an extended amount of time.

Cheers,
Ben

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Ben
It is sort of on flat terrain although backed up to a 30' cliff of coarse! I am going back tomorrow with tools and jack and also considering taking off the compressor mounted on the rops then I could have it flat bed'd out rather than low bed! Not at all looking forward to dismantling that but now that it's not a driver it will be very hard getting it from land all trailer to back of my property! Ramp truck would get it home sooner too! Wish me luck now if I can figure out those shifters too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.