Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Piston oil squirters Photo?

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TRUKTOR 
#1 ·
There is much talk about Piston oil squirters, or squirters, ETC installed on the Higher HP unimogs and much talk about ways of figuring out if you have them or not... So does anyone have a photo or what a oil squirter looks like? I have my workshop manual but don't see any referance in there eithor...

Any sucsessfull Bore scope views down the dip stick, or up the oil drain ?

Without bothering a dealer any idea on cost? are we talking $20 each or $200 each?

Surely someone has a photo

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes Ive read that link ... dones't help much with a photo of a squirter..... I have used the search tool just not alot of luck on photos.... not bitching just saying I have tried...

And I do have the ribs as Von mentions but according to my friendly dealer I do NOT have the squirters.. per engine # .. so I have 2 contridicting pieces of info ... So I plan on looking to eithor Rejoice or frown but would rather 1 know what Im looking for and 2 do as little as possiable AKA maybe a scope to take a look... And if im out of luck at that time decide if I want to spend $ on installing them... AKA make 1 trip into dropping the oil pan ... that suposedly is a bitch to do.

#4 ·
Dave,

For your viewing enjoyment. Also, if you want to try to find them with a camera, go in through the turbo drain port on the side of the engine. You can't see them from the bottom.

C.

Attachments

#5 ·
David,

I should have pictures of the oil squirters somewhere, I will have to look. The squirters are just basically a banjo fitting with a little piece of curved line with the end squashed to mist oil up onto the bottom of the pistons... I may even have one or two laying around. I don't think they would be enormously expesive, ones for a Cummins 5.9 are like $10 each plus the hollow bolt and sealing washers, so probably like $20 total for each one. Concidering this is mercedes, I'd say more like $40-50 each cylinder total, but I could be mistaken. The big question is if your block has the holes plugged for the oil squirters, or if it will need the holes drilled into the oil gallery... I have heard conflicting stories on whether all of the ribbed blocks had provisions, and I have not had enough of the engines torn down to that point to say for sure... all of the ribbed ones I have had apart far enough to see have had plugs in the oil squirter holes, but that has only been like 4 engines. The oil pickup is in the way of putting a scope up through the drain.

The oil pan is pretty easy to remove on the SBU's, the 424 trucks require removal of the stabilizer rod that ties the mount for the panhard rod to the opposite frame rail, and removal of the steering drag link, and then the oil pan will slide right out the front.

Cheers,
Ben

PS, David, I finally sent you the rear spring I owe you on Monday, so you should get it soon.

#7 ·
Ben,
I got lucky and she had squirters. Devil of a time seeing them. I used one of those Rigid brand cameras you can rent at Home Despot for 10$. Bend it hard and sharp and go in through the port on the side of the pan where the turbo drains and you can see them if they are there.

C.

#8 ·
Must be a day for bumping up old posts ;)

Another possible way to tell if your engine has the oil squirters is to run your VIN into the EPC. Now I'm sure someone will pipe up and say nothing is for sure unless you lay eyes on it, but pretty good chance I'd say.

If your data card comes up in the EPC, and you select your block, and it has squirters, you should see something like this:

Text Font

Note it says With Piston Cooling

Auto part Diagram Electrical supply Line art Automotive window part

Another clue is if you click on the squirter itself, Item #266 , if it's a valid part (ie, was installed from the factory) you'll get this message:

Text Font Logo Brand

However, if you click on the part (assuming your VIN came up in the EPC with a valid data card) and that part was not original to your engine, you'll get this message:

Text Font

Again, assuming original engine, ect.

#11 ·
Sweet. But is it rigid enough to bend and hold? So if you put a 90° bend 6" from the end, would it hold it? If not I suppose you could tape some mechanics wire to it. Nice find.

I actually replaced the web cam in an ultra thin laptop today. They are high res and getting tinyer by the day. The camera itself was smaller than my pinky nail, and the board it was soldered too wasn't any larger than a small stick of gum. With cell phone and laptop cams, nice to see the price dropping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.