Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mogs @ Moab 2010!!!

10K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  jasoncouch01 
#1 ·
Just a reminder Mogs @ Moab 2010 will be Wed. May 26-Sun May 30th Memorial day weekend!!!!
Look at Couch Off-Road | Equipment Builds and Service for Unimog | Denver Colorado in the events section or call for details.

We will be having novice as well as advanced trail runs,a Unimog driving course for the newer Unimog drivers as well as a short Unimog maintenance course. We'll also be doing a night run in the full moon.
Looking forward to food, fun, naked women???

Couch Off-Road | Equipment Builds and Service for Unimog | Denver Colorado

#5 ·
Really Mogasaurus,get w/ the program. I'm not sure about the ladies you run w/ ,but I can assure you if we did have exposed women they would be very attractive to hetro men.

Besides it's about the excellent off roading Moab has to offer unlike anywhere else in the USA as well as a great time w/ a bunch of fellow Unimog enthusiasts

P.S, I've seen some pretty amazing nips at Burning Man!!!!

#10 ·
How is Moab with the larger SBU trucks? Say a U1250/U1300 and or a U1700 L38? Ive never been there .. tempted but would really hate showing up only to watch.... I must say that is one down side to owning a larger SBU Unimog and living in a place with lots of trees ...

#11 ·
I will be there, but on a Gelaendewagen expedition. I'll be sure to hook up with you guys for a day or more. If anyone is interested, we will be doing some moderate expedition style camping Monday the 1st through the following Saturday. So if there are any stragglers, please join us. If you are interested, let me know right away as Mon night is in canyonlands park and will require an additional camp space reserved for you.
-James

#12 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking about taking my rock mog and my buddy with his built buggy to Moab for this trip, is anyone else that's into the hardcore rockcrawling going? Joe O, Travis P, DokaTD, all you hardcore moggers out there, will you be attending? If so let me know so I can lock it in! I'm into everything but the trail that you could easily roll and die, I don't like the death part. Big gnarly and nasty trails, count me in!

#13 ·
Hard trails

I actually do not remember many trails that did not hold some element of falling at least 200 feet, some 2000 feet. I did them all in a mildly built jeep, was a while ago and I hear they have gotten worse, but there are some bypasses, and winches so things should be good. Trail are not like the Hammers, tough and equipment breaks, but lots of traction. Great place to 4 wheel.

#14 ·
Yeah I know there is some element and the rocks are sticky, I'm more talking about nobody runs that trail because the chances are really good that there can be big trouble. It's been 10 years since I was in Moab and I didn't run all the trails so I can't speak for all of them, but I remember seeing a pic of someone going up a crack line that from the pic looked like you couldn't even back down without rolling. I'm not talking about lions back or anything like that.

So who's going?

#15 ·
I'll be there. To answer a few questions, there are certainly trails where a wrong turn could take you off a cliff, but not many are what I would consider very risky. Most of the places that are a high probability of rolling are optional obstacles. I'll probably be up for a day or two of fairly difficult rock crawling in addition to all of the other trails.

The guy that asked about an SBU, most of the trails are fine with larger rigs. Not lots of trees out there, so the only things that really hold you up are tight places with overhanging ledges or a few trails that have narrow spots between rocks or next to a big dropoff.

#16 ·
Trails

Was not meaning to be a smart a##, I was just trying to be informative. The really difficult runs are pretty crazy. I don't really want to tear up my rig but some of the difficult trails are very fun. As long as you are careful, have a good spotter and can exercise some throttle control most are doable. A good winch does not hurt.

Moad is a great place, red dirt, blue skies, water and green trees. The beer at the brewery is not bad either. Lot going on that weekend, will not be boring.

#18 ·
Hey Jason,

Maybe a quick update on the preps for this event? Now that we're closing in towards the end of May, perhaps a bi-weekly update here (and on the Mog list?) would be helpful.

I haven't made reservations at a campsite yet since your website states that a trail camp night might be possible. What is the development here?

My Mog mod project is currently in progress and I am working on a tow vehicle to get me there all the way from H-Town.

Thanks.

#19 ·
Sorry been really busy and understaffed lately.
That's a good call. I will work on getting w/ the program this week.
We have a few reservations left so I'd definitely get one.
I spoke w/ a BLM organizer about staying out overnight on a trail and it sounded promising,but I'll definitely have to clarify w/ her.

I'll be in Moab w/ the Magpul Mog for the safari doing some pre running this week.

Stay tuned for details ,and am open to suggestions or a helping hand.

Thanks!

#21 ·
I spoke w/ a BLM organizer about staying out overnight on a trail and it sounded promising,but I'll definitely have to clarify w/ her.
Here's an idea for you - don't know if the park service would allow it or not.

See if permission is possible to overnight in Canyonlands as a group. That way, you could run the entire Canyonlands loop as a two day 'expedition'. Certinly not hardcore but WAY up there in senic-factor.

This could be an optional outing for those who don't want to bash rocks !

#20 ·
I have run pretty much all of the moderate to hard trails in moab including lower and upper heldorado. Most are very doable in almost any mog. Cliffhanger which is a moderate is not really suitable for the larger trucks. I was just on it in my pinz and it was fun but kinda rough. To many places to hang up the under workings on the bigger trucks. Honestly, the easier trails are the ones that have big cliffs that you have to drive close to. And the real chances of falling off a cliff in moab is unbelievably low unless your a douche. Rusty nail has a funky little cliff section, but i would be surprised if any of the normal mog guys will run this trail.

Though I support winches, Mogs need not apply for them in Moab. There really isn't anything hard enough on the traditional trails to need it in a mog. Anyways, there are plenty of bypasses for most big obstacles.

I have zero experience on the easy trails like Hole in the rock etc. Just no real interest.

Anyway, I highly doubt I will be attending. I would love to, but its just a bit out of reach this time around. Lacking a tow rig at the moment.

#22 · (Edited)
Hey Gents,
I had not planned on making the 2500 mile trek to Moab, but as it turns out I will be there May 21-24 anyway. If any moggers will be there early and would like to grab a beer, PM me. My brother will be there with his pretty built JK but we will be mogless and jeepless really. He recently broke another axle and is waiting for the D44s to arrive. It's killing me to miss the event by a few days so hopefully someone will be there early. I've never had the privilege of watching a mog tackle any serious trails in person.

BTW, I will be in ABQ on the 18th until we leave for Moab. If any local mog guys would like to grab a brew, that would be great as well.

#25 ·
We'll be posting a sign up sheet here shortly for those attending the Moab Mogfest.
This is really shaping up to be a great event!!!
Can't wait to see everybody out there.
Looks like the overnighter will probably be Thursday night on a full moon!
So make sure to have gear to camp out on the trail and do a bit of night wheeling as well.
Those who would like to stay back in town at the camp there are totally welcome to do so as well.Thurs. may end up being a late night and late morning.
The goal is to do a long trail at our leisure and setup camp in the evening ,Eat a good breakfast relax and then finish the trail w/ plenty of time to check out the amazing scenery and terrain.

Jay,
Couch Off-road Eng. C.O.R.E.

#29 ·
WHERE IS EVERY CAMPING, WE ARE READY TO MAKE RESERVATIONS. WE WILL HAVE A 36' MOTOR HOME AND TRAILER AS WELL AS ANOTHER TRUCK TOWING A 30' TOY HAULER. CAN ANYONE GIVE US DETAILS AS TO WHERE TO MAKE OUR RESERVATIONS? THANKS!

Ok My friend Scott and I are coming out for sure! I will have my 404 crawler and he has a tricked out buggy, we are leaving Sacramento Ca Wednesday 26th around 3pm so we will be there early Thursday morning.

We are up for the night ride and night camping, we are also down for some advance wheeling for whoever is thinking about going.

Dan Dreher

#30 ·
I like what I'm hearing!
later this week we'll be sending out kind of a sign up sheet for any one that is planning on coming. We are planning on some grub and some other festivities!
don't think we'll have all the trail runs set in stone until the event has begun.

Thanks everyone!,
Jay
Couch Off-Road Eng.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.