Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mogs @ Moab 2010!!!

10K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  jasoncouch01 
#1 ·
Just a reminder Mogs @ Moab 2010 will be Wed. May 26-Sun May 30th Memorial day weekend!!!!
Look at Couch Off-Road | Equipment Builds and Service for Unimog | Denver Colorado in the events section or call for details.

We will be having novice as well as advanced trail runs,a Unimog driving course for the newer Unimog drivers as well as a short Unimog maintenance course. We'll also be doing a night run in the full moon.
Looking forward to food, fun, naked women???

Couch Off-Road | Equipment Builds and Service for Unimog | Denver Colorado

#32 ·
What are the transportation to trail plans? If we stay at the Riverside Oasis campground how far is that from the trails we will be tackling? Can you wheel to the trails or do you have to go on the roads? I heard that they are very strict in Moab lately about non highway rigs driving on the highway. If this is the case is there somewhere to stay that you won't need to drive on the roads to get to the trail or maybe a better place to stay that you can get to most of the trails without a trailer?
My unimog is almost street worthy but it has:
No turn signals
Full Hydro
Beadlocks
No mud flaps

#33 ·
I'm not sure which trails are planned but most of the trails are within 10 miles of Moab. As far as how strict things are down there....they have always seemed pretty casual down there. I was down there last weekend and there were dirt bikes riding down the main street so I don't think you will have any problems.

#34 ·
Generally no problems although I have heard problems with buggy type vehicles on the street. I do not have mud flaps on mine. I have had them mention that, but never an official warning or ticket. I think they mostly use it as an excuse to check on important things like no alcohol, use of seatbelts, etc. There are camping places closer to trailheads, but it depends on the trail as they are in all directions.

#35 ·
when I was in Moab doing article for Rockcrawler.com e-magazine (now sold and moth balled) there was a Hostel / Bunk House called Leaping Lizard or something to that affect. Stayed there the whole time. Cheap friendly and worked GREAT.

Just something to consider.

#36 ·
I have driven my 404 to the trails in Moab for far to many years to count now with zero issues and my truck does not meet any utah regs or US regs for that matter. Hell, most of that time I didn't even have a plate or insurance on it.

The people that get tagged in moab are driving buggies or are doing something suspicious and stupid.

#37 ·
Turn signals/hazards are a good call to have especially w/ the incredible speed of the Unimog going up hill w/ almost flat tires!
We will definitely be covering some miles for some of the trails we are looking at.

The Thursday night run, will be only for rigs that you can sleep in.
We are not officially doing any tent camping,or at least tents on the ground that is.
This is to keep the BLM people happy.

Jay
Couch Off-Road Eng.

#38 ·
Moab and street legal...

They tend to ease up a little around Easter Jeep, but then they go back to being a little more difficult after that. BIGGEST thing is do not be an idiot, and do not attract attention. Mudflaps... IF You are plated in Utah without them you will get a ticket, if you are plated in another state they tend to be very lenient (as I hear, I am plated in Colorado and have never had a problem at all with my lack of mud flaps and tub fenders on my jeep)

The Lazy Lizzard is the name of the hostel here in Moab. Nice place (all things considered) you can get a room for two for about $28.oo per night after tax. You get what you pay for though. I stay there every time I go.

DansFLB: Pretty much NO place that you can stay in the Moab area that does not require you to go right through the middle of town to get to anywhere else. There is a little camping up by Kane Creek, but there are only two or three trails up there, so, unless they do all of those trails then you are out of luck. I would recommend that you bring a truck and trailer and just pull the thing around. Most trails have ample parking near enough that they will let you drive your rig from there. SOME of the trails are over 50 miles away from town, which is a long ways to sweat driving an illegal truck.I say just remember Murphy's Law. IF you have plates on your truck I would be primarily concerned about the turn signals over anything else. I have not heard of anyone being pulled over based on their beadlocks or steering set-up.

Hope that helps some...

Cheers

#40 ·
Can we please get some trail choices?

Even the basic kinds of trails expected for which days would be great.

I think I am only going to be able to go for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, so, I need to know what type of tools to bring. IE if it is going to be a lot of rock crawling then obviously more tools, if it is going to be fairly simply to medium trails then perhaps less chance of breaking things and fewer tools required (and I can bring the rig I can sleep in).

Thanks a lot

Brian

#42 ·
Golden Spike,Rim Trail,Cane Creek,Pritchett,Helldorado,Metal Masher,some of the Kocopelli trail Hells Revengeand some othemore driving/exploring trails/road.
We will be splitting up on some of the days depending on how many people want to run.
We have to keep the groups under 25 rigs otherwise we need a group permit w/ insurance for the BLM.

Jay

#43 ·
Prospective mog buyer here:

I just sold my cobra replica and am looking to start a new project in the not too distant future and am currently leaning towards a mog, probably 406/416.

Conveniently my buddy and I will be in Moab over Memorial Day weekend to do some mountain biking and I’m hoping to get a chance to check out some of the mogs in person.

Is there a “base camp” where most of you guys will be hanging out at so I could stop buy and get some pics, etc?

Thanks

-stems

#44 ·
Wow, the Cobra is one of my all time favorite dream cars, I would have been interested in talking to you about a trade for my 416! Not that I want to loose it, I love it but a cobra would be a blast! Are they all of what they seem to be?

Anyhow I know Jay could answer your question the best, you should follow us on a trail run or you could ride passenger with us on a run I should have an extra seat. That way you see what a mog can really do!

#45 ·
Thanks for the response.

The cobra was a lot of fun to build and drive. Kind of similar to a mog in a way, loud, hot, no creature comforts, etc. Mine had a big block ford 428 in it, and it was scary fast, I wouldn't dare floor it unless I was going in a straight line! It was a sad day seeing it drive away, that's for sure. The plan is to use half of the proceeds for a new project (mog) and the other half put towards a house purchase.

Getting a ride in a mog would be great, assuming schedules work out between your trail runs and my mountain biking. Either way I hope to check them out.

Attachments

#48 ·
Moab Mogfest 2010 Details and Registration

It's on! Moab Mogfest is set to happen with a whole slue of confirmed attendees so far. We'll have Unimog from across the country, big and small to take on Golden Spike, Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim, Canyon Creek and part of the Kokopelli Trail, just to name a few!

MOAB MOGFEST 2010
Wednesday, May 26th - Sunday, May 30th (late)

To join the fun, simply use the registration form on our website to signup. Register for this event now! Participation is free, but a headcount is needed. So, register by Sunday, May 23rd, or miss the boat. Please read the following for important information regarding this event.

Group Trail Rides
We'll have one trail ride daily that will be somewhat scenic and somewhat aggressive (any stock Unimog with some proper spotting will be able to get through them). We'll also set up a couple of trail runs throughout the weekend that will be more aggressive for more experienced rock crawlers and more modified Unimog. Trail leader volunteers are needed for these runs; please let us know if you are interested.

Most rides will probably start at City Market (425 S. Main St.) or out on the highway frontage road.

Please call our Event HotLine during Memorial Weekend for updates on when and where to meet, and other last minute details: 888-X-UNIMOG, Ext. 800.

Full Moon Run
Thursday midmorning - Friday afternoon.
We'll start on a leisurely trail run. A couple of hours before it gets dark, we'll find a place to set up camp (all must sleep inside their vehicles, as no tents are allowed on or near trails). As the sun goes down the full moon will provide all of the light we'll need for some late night wheeling. After breakfast we'll break camp and head back to our main camp on a scenic trail.

Saturday BBQ
Couch Off-Road will be providing pulled pork, rolls, baked beans, paper plates and utensils for all. Please bring side dishes, desserts and drinks to share as well as your own cups and bowls if needed.

Camping and Other Accommodations
Couch Off-Road staff will be primarily staying at the Riverside Oasis Campground, and several others are staying at the Slick Rock Campground. Since this is Memorial weekend, many sites are already booked, so if you haven't yet, do it now!

Links and Resources

Information on what Moab has to offer in the realm of 4WD
www.discovermoab.com/fourwheel.htm

BLM campgrounds, as well as information on Primitive Camping on public lands: www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

State Park, National Park & Forest Campground
www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_park.htm

Where to get a shower in Moab
www.discovermoab.com/shower.htm

Moab Hotels
www.discovermoab.com/hotels.htm

Be Prepared

Temperatures: Average High - 87ºF. Average Low - 51ºF.

When not in a designated campground with restrooms, make sure you have your own toilet facilities to bring solids out.

For more information and general MOAB FAQ's www.discovermoab.com/faq.htm

Please don't forget to signup:
Register for this event now!

#55 ·
Hi all!

Well I got my 150 plus photos and videos up on the web for you all to enjoy.

Just check out the photobucket account "mogsatmoab2010" It was super nice to meet all of you there! Thanks to all for the education I received, I learned so much this weekend. Enjoy!

Cheers

Brian

#57 ·
out of the 100 or so pics... these are my favs.

for us folk only there in spirit... can you please identify the rigs.

Attachments

#59 · (Edited)
The trail is Steel Bender, and is a moderate to slightly hard trail (depending on who you ask)
The Blue 416 is Judd, he owns ARS in Logan Utah (fire/flood restoration company) With five seats in the back he can bring nine people (after the driver) in that mog! It is SUPER nice, and very clean.
The 404 with the custom doka conversion (very nice job on that by the by) is owned by Theiman down in Texas, My 6'5" self can streach out to nearly my full leg length in the back seats of that thing! Awesome
The G-wagon is our own burqueDOKA,
The 406 Magpul Mog is dirven by Jay Couch himself.
The All Yellow 416 L is Andrew, great guy. Rarely met a man as generous as he. Not to mention, and I think he would not mind my mentioning this, not many people can drive a mog as well as he does, and he does it with only one leg!
The Yellow and Black 416 L is Eric, very capable driver, and very nice guy.
The Elephant gray SBU U1250 was driven by Karl, and it is one of Couch's very nice rigs. (its twin, and Orange SBU, sadly choose to through a shoe, and could not make it on the trail that day.)
The 416 Doka with the camper on the back, I believe his name was Bob, but I am far from certain on that. Nice man, WOW could he drive that thing! But he kept to himself so I never was certain on his name.
Joe, in the red shirt, was the gentleman who choose to give his 404 a nice nap mid trail. Came out of it relatively easily, with very little damage that we know of. He was new to wheeling his rig, or so I am told, and so he followed some of the more hard core rigs where he likely would have been better served taking the by-pass, but he came off of it no worse for wear.
In the group photo we see Ron DePugh (of rockymountainmoggers) in his 404 radiobox.
The SEE 406 going up the hill, very nice, very well taken care of, I did not catch his name either. To tell you the truth I think it might have been Bob, but what are the chances of two Bobs on the same trail. Never the less, very nice gentleman as well. His only fault is that he liked to use that little 406 and make things look easy!

There were several other mogs out there that did not end up going on the run with us on Saturday, so I am not sure who they belong to, but I enjoyed seeing them. Including the red SBU with the Alaskan. What a nice rig that was.

All photos taken by my self, Brian Croak. I am glad that you enjoyed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.