I phone U Phone, we all Cell phone - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Good idea to start a new thread. I didn't think this would amount to much but I guess cellphones are in our lives and we all have some problems and some contentment.

I've been using the LG Dare since it came out and am happy with some things and not others.

On the positive side it always works. I have dropped it on the concrete half a dozen times, sat on it, had it in my pants pocket all day in 100 degree weather where I'm drenched head to toe for 8 hours straight from working and it has never had a glitch. It came with a 3.2mp camera with flash and the battery lasts for several days and is probably replaceable, unlike the I's. Battery dead? Sorry Charlie, buy a new phone. I like that it does T9 for texting which the I doesn't do exactly but has a version of. Removable and upgradeable memory card.

On the down side the main problem (which has been improved with software updates but not perfect) is the touchscreen, which just doesn't work as well as the I. I had 3g internet for the first month but it was so hard to navigate that I dropped it and never looked back. To be fair I haven't tried it since the first trial so it may be better now. It isn't blue tooth ready for a computer network I have heard (although it is BT ready for an ear piece) nor is it GSM compatible which isn't a problem for me but would be if I left the country regularly.

They don't seem to have a Dare 2 in the works. I wish they did and addressed the issues because I would probably buy one.

Finally the Dare is a good size where I feel that the I is a little big even though the large screen would be nice. The Dare just fits in the tool pocket on the sides of Carhartts or Key coveralls and others which is the perfect place for it while working. The I won't fit plus every blue collar guy I know with an I is always breaking their phone.

I'm not sure what the perfect mobile communications device would be but maybe someday someone will come up with it.

Last edited by myunimog; 12-27-2009 at 01:54 PM.
myunimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Motorola DROID Review | GadgetReview

Except for being kind of big and heavy it looks good. I wonder how typing on the tiny qwerty keyboard will be? Report back CatButt.
myunimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: U-406/416
When I want to talk to someone I just drive my dirtbike to their house and rev it's sweet sweet 2 stroke engine now thats a ring ton, phone what's a phone?
Snow mogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: U-406/416
honey I'm home can you hear me!?
Attached Thumbnails
I phone U Phone, we all Cell phone-bike-burnout_flaming.jpg  
Snow mogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
Quote:
Originally Posted by myunimog View Post
Motorola DROID Review | GadgetReview

Except for being kind of big and heavy it looks good. I wonder how typing on the tiny qwerty keyboard will be? Report back CatButt.
I tried one - the keyboard is way to small for my man-hands
CrackBerry keyboards are also too small...
..the road to nowhere. . .leads to me.
Mogasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Past: '69 421, Present: '82 Pre-SEE 406
I've got to say, I love my CDMA (Bell) BlackBerry Curve. Full QWERTY keyboard (which I thought would be a pain) has been nothing but a charm to use, even with my oversized hands. Reception is outstanding and much better than my Samsung Instinct. My BlackBerry has been the best phone I've ever had. Although I do see the appeal of the iPhone, I can't see myself giving up my BlackBerry for one.
MiniMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, G500
I have every version of the iphone minus the 3gS. I have ued every version of the software. I have had no less than 5 3G phones due to breaking them etc. All but one was totally my fault. All were covered under apples factory warranty. I had dropped calls with my first iphone including crappy reception. With the 3G, I have had very few if any reception issues. And the newer build of the 3G and of course the 3GS, dropped calls are not a factor. My Iphone had reception in the middle of poison spider mesa/Gold bar rim in moab. Enough to send text pictures.

All that being said, I have no interest in another phone. Even the droid which my brother has. It looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap and seemingly has no advantage over the iphone or even black berry etc.

DokaTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Yeah, even though I'm planning on one, the Droid did seem cheap, and the
keyboard won't work with my fingers....
Best coverage wins out at the moment.
TRUKTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
I've got a blackberry bold and the qwerty keys are small but designed to be tagged. It takes a little bit to get used to it but I can now type fairly well using two thumbs and two index fingers. The web browser basically sucks in that you have to zoom in and out to do things like read a forum. That is the one thing that the iphone has going for it, a logical and understandable browser. But to be fair it allows me to look at the web in a very specific way and is not intended for casual laying about on the internet.

What is needed is something that is two part, like a phone that docks to a netbook so when you need actual web browsing and document services you have them and when you just need to make a phone call, you just make a phone call. Like an itty bitty docking station.

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKTOR View Post
Yeah, even though I'm planning on one, the Droid did seem cheap
I just can't understand this...

MOT used to have some of the BEST finishes and surfaces on their handsets. I still use a K1 Krzr that feels absolutely fab ! All metal and glass surfaces, no cheap plastic and a heavy-in-the-hand feel. I guess when their star fell and they had to cut corners to stay in the handset business, quality and finish really took a hit. I messed around with the MOT bet-the-farm handset (Droid) and it felt OK, but I only had it in hand for 5 minutes.

MOT used to be a major customer of mine and I always tried to support them, but that loyalty only goes so far. I'm all about quality in workmanship and feel. To me, that's more important then having all the bells and whistles. Apple, on the other hand, has always turned me off with their "we're so superior" attitude, plus the fanboy crowd really pisses me off. I have a hard time getting past that to actually try the products.

ATT, on the other hand, can bite my shiny white a$$.
Mogasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog