Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

U900 MB GRILL STAR EMBLEM INSTALLATION

6K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  ACAD_Cowboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a new emblem for the grill, but looks like it may require some extra steps?

Are there any tricks to getting these put on, and are the tabs for screws, or some other way to fasten it on?

I thought they were screwed in from behind the grill, into the back tabs of the emblem, but now it looks like there are some type of lock washer that may hold it.

Thank you,

ACUF

#5 ·
Who did you buy the emblem from? I have been waiting for a VERY long time now and getting no useful information from Scott at EI. Lots of seemingless empty replies. Everyone seems to highly recommend him but I can't so far.

By the way, he advertises the chromed plastic ones. An original would be nice, but from what I can see, very hard to get.

#7 ·
Hi Guys,

Its the factory U900 star from the good fellas at Euro Truck. I would have called them but I posted the question late last night, etc. Anyway, it has the two plastic studs, both hollow, with a slot, or vertical line the length of both posts.

Thanks,

ACUF

#9 ·
I went ahead and took some photos to clear up the confusion. According to the box, this MB # is A 406 810 00 18. I assume it will require some sort of lock washer that would slide one, but not slide off? It has a beveled edge, where the slot is. Thanks for the feedback!!

ACUF

Attachments

#12 ·
It looks like it would use spring washers or spring plates, same as most emblems on older vehicles.

C.

#15 ·
#16 ·

Attachments

#18 ·
Also called a "Speed Nut" or "push lock washer". Very common autobody clip.

#19 ·
Mine is held on with a zip tie, a bread tie, and some shoe goo. For 4 years and still tight despite the Beastie Boy wannabe kids tugging on it. Hammogger made a good point, if you can't figure out the star mounting, please tell me when you're running the chipper or lift so I can be far away, maybe a state or two.

#20 ·
I expect nothing less than a smart assed comment from you esde. I bring all of my questions to this forum, big and small, because I like hearing the specific experiences, which speak volumes. -I have all the owners manuals too...Also, I don't want to rig my rig with ducted tape, bread ties, tin foil and shoe goo, but more power to you old boy. I am treating this ownership in terms of the factory configurations.

So, today I found TWO of those lock washers stuck together in my junk drawer, -and they're even the correct diameter!! Problem is, I don't see how I can get my hands between the inside of the grill and the radiator? The tabs are directly at 12 and 6:00, but I see no way in there with these big hands.

Thanks for the replies,

ACUF

#23 ·
I expect nothing less than a smart assed comment from you esde. I bring all of my questions to this forum, big and small, because I like hearing the specific experiences, which speak volumes. -I have all the owners manuals too...Also, I don't want to rig my rig with ducted tape, bread ties, tin foil and shoe goo, but more power to you old boy.
ACUF
Matt, as a long time member here, scolded for years by Coachgeo about not searching for things before asking questions (here and google), I get frustrated by new members that ask how to tie their shoes. The info you were looking for is out there on the great big interweb, and my reply was intended to convey a bit of frustration with your posting about EVERYTHING, much of which is IMO, obvious. Sorry that you took it personally, but it is the internet. I have a hard time controlling my frustration when a simple question chews up 2 pages of bandwidth. I stopped at Grainger today and they had no fewer than 20 different size and shape clips to do what you want.

#21 ·
So, today I found TWO of those lock washers stuck together in my junk drawer, -and they're even the correct diameter!! Problem is, I don't see how I can get my hands between the inside of the grill and the radiator? The tabs are directly at 12 and 6:00, but I see no way in there with these big hands.

Thanks for the replies,

ACUF[/QUOTE]

Seems like I did this years ago and no you are not going to get your hands in there. Short of pulling the radiator I think I used a long pair or needle nose and reached in and got them started then pushed them on the rest of the way with a long screwdriver while holding the emblem from the front. It's a vague memory but I think it is a real one.

#24 ·
Esde,
I understand. I just figured someone would have some experiential feedback in getting it on without any problems or breaking a tab, and before I waste my time trying to install it. I know it seemed like a little thing, but I am glad I posted the question either way. No i know how to proceed.

This is a Unimog owner/user/fixer forum. Any relative subject matter is valid. My best advice would be to not entertain a post that causes you any little bit of aggrivation to read through.

But, either way, thanks for clearifying.

ACUF

#28 ·
Blimey people,are you all having a bad time over there?
It's the season of goodwill! Be a tad tolerant,it IS the internet after all, and if you don't like the subject then I guess you could always opt NOT to read it or participate.

Now, anyone got any advice on adjusting mirrors?

Keep smiling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.