BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Unimog U1250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Recovery attachment points?

I tried to search for this, but didn't really get any wiser...

Where do you guys attach your shackles etc when doing recovery?

For rear I thought about fabbing a couple of these attached "pulling points" to bolt to the four holes / side holes marked with arrows. Any opinions?

I haven't done any calculations yet, but I thought about using 20-25mm steel since I have a lot of that around.

What about the front? The front hitch looks like an obvious choice to me.

How big shackles would you recommend for a approx. 7000kg camper? How about 25t EN 13889 shackles? Is this overkill? Too little?

From the BillaVista's Recovery Bible I read that a truck stuck up to it's chassis gives 3x loaded weight resistance. If my truck is 7t I'd be looking at 21t force in the "worst case", right? I thought about using this as my general rule when dimensioning stuff so that the weakest link can take at least 21 000 kg.

Here's a link to the shackles I'm looking at: http://www.erlatek.fi/data/attachments/G4161.pdf

If anyone has pics of various attachment points and so on please feel free to post some as examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	247914   Click image for larger version

Name:	silmukka.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	247915  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1980 U1000 Turbo...
Am i missing something or would the Ringfeder hitch not be the obvious choice on your vehicle.My SBU has a pin mount above the PTO output that I use,and on the front obviously the factory pin hitch.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Unimog U1250
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalbloke View Post
Am i missing something or would the Ringfeder hitch not be the obvious choice on your vehicle.My SBU has a pin mount above the PTO output that I use,and on the front obviously the factory pin hitch.
Sorry I forgot to mention that the pic I attached is not from my truck and I don't have a rear hitch (anymore, I sold it).
#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
If you have the "knuckles" just go to them. They will take a shackle through the holes. I'm assuming you don't have them, or you would not be designing something that goes in their place.

If you don't have them, make sure the support structure inside the rear cross-member is there. That piece is what gives those mounts the strength for the load, as it ties the rear of the frame together. It is the LIME-GREEN piece in the colored diagram.

On some trucks, it seems that the knuckles just bolt to the rear crossmember, but on mine, they bolt through the cross-member and then through a cast bracket that ties the cross-member to the frame rails, which has to be the stronger arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schlussquertraeger.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	247918  
Attached Images

Last edited by TRUKTOR; 07-08-2009 at 02:25 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1980 U1000 Turbo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpisoturi View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention that the pic I attached is not from my truck and I don't have a rear hitch (anymore, I sold it).

No worries!
That photo shows the 4 bolts holding the Ringfeder to the brackets.Those brackets are what I have a recovery pin and lynch pin through, and all my heaviest recovery work hase been loaded through that bracket, to mo ill effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > Unimog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.