Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rockinger Hitch Removal

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  normalbloke 
#1 ·
Hi

I am trying to remove my Rockinger hitch since it is no longer needed. I have removed the large castellated nut but no amount of pushing/pulling/jacking/sweating/shouting etc will budge it. :surrender:

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Andrew

#2 ·
What Rockinger hitch is it? I.e. its modal number e.g. 225, 227,

Normally its just a case of undoing the castellated nut & pilling the hitch out of the flange bearing.

Can you twist the hitch? Or is it locked solid preventing this?

If so the only thing that is inside that can jam (other than the rubbers & there washer to the shaft) is a ball-bearing (or 2) with a spring/s behind it which locates in a dent on the shaft to keep the hitch centred for coupling which may be jammed.

#3 ·
Hi B101UK

I cant really see the plate with the model number since I have a camper body in the way. I will take my camera to it later.
I tried to rotate it by standing on a 10 foot bar jammed through the side of the hitch but it does not budge.
Maybe I need to remove the rear chassis cross member and put it in a press?

#4 ·
Wish I could remember but there is a thread on this very topic. Im sure its in here though it could be on the mail list. I forget which.

You might search in here for any of the below or a combination of

hitch
Pintel(sp?)
remove
removal

#6 ·
Those hitches routinely seize up because of internal rust. You will probably have to take off the rear frame member and put the hitch in a press. Soak it with penetrating fluid (for days) and try pressing it out. Mine took so much force to release that the keeper pin holes in the main shaft became deformed.

Good luck,
BWSwede

#7 ·
Well, its finally off.

We removed the rear cross member but not having a press to hand we used an 8 ton bottle jack between the ground and a 3 foot diameter oak tree. The tree moved significantly!

So the solution was to attack it with a 9" angle grinder!

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.