Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is it the economy...

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  krisinak 
#1 ·
I have the nicest 1200 I've seen, for sale on eBay now for what I consider a very low starting bid, but not even one question or sign of interest.

So I'm wondering, is it the economy that's slowing this, and so many other things down? Or what do you guys think is holding things up?

Is it that ugly mower door, the RHD, the lack of bed, that I don't have pictures of the truck with the attachments mounted, all of the above???

Pretty much all of those are fixable, just wanted your opinions.

Thanks for your help

Todd

p.s. ebay item is 200237958592

#2 ·
IMHO, your mog is FULL of extras.
-Yes, economy is slow and not just in the USA.
-RHD is not a big minus, some contractors might need it more than LHD
-Price is definately ok IMHO (by European standards)

some suggestions
-put it up for export (Australia-UK-Europe)
-try mobile.de - Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt. Suchen, kaufen oder verkaufen Sie Neu- und Gebrauchtwagen
-you can sell seperately the add-ons
-Take off the PTO assemblies and sell them
-Sell the fibreglass door seperately

My 2c

Mac :)

#3 ·
I would speculate that your vehicle's lack of title would have something to do with this. You say that these are not usually accompanied by a title because they are regarded as "tractors." However, ORC Section 4501.01(C) defines a tractor as follows:

(C) "Agricultural tractor" and "traction engine" mean any self-propelling vehicle that is designed or used for drawing other vehicles or wheeled machinery, but has no provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles, and that is used principally for agricultural purposes.

Accordingly, the truck cannot get a plate unless it has a title. And the application for a title when there is no manufacturers certificate of origin may pose a problem.

I considered myself lucky to get a title to mine in Ohio with a manufacturers certificate of origin. Without one, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Finally, the buyer is simply taking your word that no title has previously been issued. Obviously, if it had been issued, no state would permit a transfer by bill of sale when the record title owner did not assign by transfer of title. How would anyone know (other than by your good character and reputation) that there is not a Kentucky or Canadian or whatever title for this truck but you didn't pay the seller; you just have the truck?

One last item, Ohio requires a transfer of a vehicle to be accompanied by an assignment of title unless exempted. Is this REALLY a farm implement, or is it a truck?

#4 ·
Yes, if my 406 were considered a tractor here in NYS I could save a bunch on insurance, registration and inspection. You certainly couldn't convince the police here you were on a tractor and just put a red triangle on the back. If I however were interested enough and had the money to bid I would want to talk this issue over. There should be a way to title it. I would never consider paying any money towards it unless it could be for sure registered for road use. Maybe you should start the work needed to get it titled.

#5 ·
Thanks for the notes Mac, I'm glad to hear I'm within target.

Good points Wilson, I've heard that many of these were imported with no bed on them, for the exact reason that you cite. But I don't know what would happen when one went to title it. I guess I should try to Carfax it and see if anything pops up, but I'm not sure there's enough characters in the VIN.

#6 ·
Perhaps you should get it titled in Ohio. Interestingly, it can both be a titled vehicle and be for agricultural use. That way, you may avoid sales tax when you title it. Unless of course you have a dealers license in which case you won't pay sales tax.

If you can't exempt it from sales tax as agricultural, then you could title it in Kentucky. (They only charge sales tax when they issue plates.) You would need an address in Kentucky.

I just don't think anyone is gonna pay you $25-40k without a clear title.

#7 · (Edited)
Some states have a special registration category with a name like Special Mobile Machinery. That's what they called a 406 Unimog I bought in Colorado. It had no title, and did not need it to get that SMM registration. That registration gave permission to drive the mog on highway 'between job locations'. I never had trouble with it, but didn't drive it much either. When I moved to TN, also a title state, I could not get a title without a previous title, until I produced the paperwork showing the Colorado regulation about SMM and the fact there was no title required for that registration. With a clear bill of sale two or three sales 'deep', and the SMM docs, I got a title.

What I'm saying is, investigate if there is such an SMM registration in your state, and provide that for the new owner. It might pave the way for a title in his state, or at least give him hope.

There's also the possibility of posting a bond guaranteeing there will be no other previous titles. I had to do that in CO on two mogs, months/years after purchase. All that came into effect in the state after a 'dealer' there sold Unimogs as "tractors" and without titles. Long story, and his dealings hurt a lot of people. Of course you are being honest with prospective buyers so there should be no misunderstandings.

The build plate on the cab should have a year of manufacture? Does it not?

It's a nice truck. Your starting price is reasonable, but money is tight and people are scared, as Ebay results show. However, imagine the cost to buy this truck in Europe now, and ship it over. It's a deal at your price for someone with the coins.

Bob

#9 ·
If this is a definitive statement of what a Agricultural tractor is in USA law.

(C) "Agricultural tractor" and "traction engine" mean any self-propelling vehicle that is designed or used for drawing other vehicles or wheeled machinery, but has no provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles, and that is used principally for agricultural purposes.
Then how dose a normal tractor made in the last 50 years manage to fit in it???? :confused:
i.e, drawing other vehicles or wheeled machinery, but has no provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles.

A 3pt linkages allows any tractor to carry load independently of “other vehicles or wheeled machinery” so HAS provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles :rolleyes: I.e. a mounted plough, harrow, tiller, mower, etc which are raised off the ground when in transport and are a wholly supported load by the tractor rather than “semi mounted/drawbar” configuration which would conform to “other vehicles or wheeled machinery

Ware dose a self propelled sprayer fit in? - that carries load on its self, or even forestry forwarders.

Not that any of the above affects me, but we had similar laws in the UK that are equally out of date or lack clarity or thought given the amount of exceptions, the other thing being a small place lots of people who work in the local DVLA offices (like your DMV) are familiar with Unimog’s being capable of being tractors so don’t even give it a second thought. :)

#10 · (Edited)
If this is a definitive statement of what a Agricultural tractor is in USA law.

Then how dose a normal tractor made in the last 50 years manage to fit in it???? :confused:
i.e, drawing other vehicles or wheeled machinery, but has no provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles.

A 3pt linkages allows any tractor to carry load independently of “other vehicles or wheeled machinery” so HAS provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles :rolleyes: I.e. a mounted plough, harrow, tiller, mower, etc which are raised off the ground when in transport and are a wholly supported load by the tractor rather than “semi mounted/drawbar” configuration which would conform to “other vehicles or wheeled machinery

Ware dose a self propelled sprayer fit in? - that carries load on its self, or even forestry forwarders.

Not that any of the above affects me, but we had similar laws in the UK that are equally out of date or lack clarity or thought given the amount of exceptions, the other thing being a small place lots of people who work in the local DVLA offices (like your DMV) are familiar with Unimog’s being capable of being tractors so don’t even give it a second thought. :)
Hehehehe!

[/I]4501.01 (U) "Farm machinery" means all machines and tools that are used in the production, harvesting, and care of farm products, and includes trailers that are used to transport agricultural produce or agricultural production materials between a local place of storage or supply and the farm, agricultural tractors, threshing machinery, hay-baling machinery, corn shellers, hammermills, and machinery used in the production of horticultural, agricultural, and vegetable products.[/I]

You can't put a license plate on a combine. But you can put a plate on a farm pickup. I think the point they are getting to is that some vehicles do not require titles to transfer them, some do. The truck in question here probably needs a title, but regardless, who is gonna pay that kind of money and not know if they are actually becoming the owner?

#12 ·
CC,

In my opinion it is the economy.

We have our house for sale right now in one of the most popular neighborhoods around Denver. Normally houses sell easy in this hood. Our price is 30K lower than it should be and still we are doing very few showings. People are worried due to the news reports, fuel prices, falling home values, the weak dollar, failing banks, decreasing stock prices, wars, elections...

As long as the truck is not on some list as stolen you can get a title here in Colorado. But if it turns up on The List the police will confiscate it at the physical inspection portion of the the title process.

Maybe you should guarantty or run a check on the mogs vin number to reassure prospective buyers. If I had the money, I would give you 25K right now as long as I could get it titled.

Steve

#14 ·
$45,000 BIN price for a short wheelbase right hand steer roadside mower is why nobody is even asking stupid Ebay questions about your clean looking Mog. Buyers are willing to pay higher prices for Mogs with Doka cabs, fast axles, and carrying motor vehicle titles or at least previous motor vehicle registration. $45,000 buys a very nice ag tractor these days. A year or two ago before the ecomony tanked nice U1250 Doka Mogs could be had for $55K give or take. With diesel fuel at $5/gallon, people out of work or getting laid off, and homeowners walking away from mortgages only the Mogs with the most demanded configurations will be selling right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.