post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes CLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CA, West Hollywood

Can anyone recommend a good shop in West Hollywood? Not the valley cause its too far and not Santa Monica/Westside... too far...

The only one coming up for me is Johanns Independent Mercedes repair but they have some bad reviews on Yelp which is really putting me off.... ?? Not sure if I trust all the reviews.

Any good independent Mercedes repair shops that are affordable and won't rip me off?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/23K !
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I had my '93 400e repaired at Johann's many times.

I would never accuse him of ripping me all. If anything, he went out of his way to keep repairs reasonable. He suggested many times that for all the money I was spending on full repairs I should consider a 500e.

He tossed in a couple freebies. I was never shocked with a large or ballooned bill.

On the minus side, you need to be able to leave the car there for awhile. He went over the original time on several of the repairs. On the other hand, I didn't call and rush him. And he let me bring my own parts, but ONLY if I got OEM parts. He did a motor mount install and insisted on Lemforder.

I was showed up with a cheap, off-brand window regulator and he laughed and put it in the trunk. When I finally got a legit, OEM regulator he fixed the vibrating wood panel on the door that I had fixed with chewing gum. He said they need to glue it back to it's backing and didn't charge me.

Be ready to sit down and chat if you go there. He does like to sit at his desk and chat. I believe he is East European or European.

When I was trying to prep my 400e for sale I took it to him to prep it. I had a new ETA in the trunk and I told him to install it. In fact, I wrote it on the repair request form. I had a newer one (post 1997) in a box in the trunk. Rather than fix it, he and his guys figured out a way to pull on old ETA from an angle and keep it working. So they didn't install the replacement and pointed out that I could resell it or include with car.

I got about 2 blocks before the stalling came back. Went right back and said "install it this time". And despite asking to have issue with oil pressure gauge fixed, it wasn't.

Overall, I would not say he ever ripped me off, if anything he seemed to think I was a fool for putting so much money into my worthless 400e. In retrospect, I should have been VERY CLEAR that since I had gone to trouble to chase down an ETA, buy it and put in trunk, I wanted it installed. Not installing it and trying to save me money just create more headaches.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - West

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: