post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: '96 SL320, '96 C220, '86 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NM, Albuquerque

In Albuquerque, NM (or I think the entire Southwest!) there is no one more knowledgeable about Mercedes Benz than Mickey, the owner of Jim's Fine Cars. He has all of the genuine MB diagnostics and tools that are missing in most indys. Although he isn't cheap, he's less than the dealers and is absolutely honest. I won't take my cars to anyone else.

Jim's Fine Cars: 505/883-4224
Scedos likes this.

1986 300E <---- sold w/216k miles
1992 500SEL <----sold w/180k miles
1996 C220 152k miles
1996 SL320 102k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: M120, M119
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks for this referral - appreciated. As I am heading that way, I will call Jim today.

regards,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Glad I could help! Let me know how you make out, or if you don't agree with my assessment.

1996 C220 152k miles
1996 SL320 102k miles
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Is this guy still around? I'm in Aztec Nm just south of Durango CO so going to have to drive 3 hrs to a repair shop no matter what. Would rather pay a good indie.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes, he's most definitely still around. His shop is busy so it might be a good idea to call ahead to make sure he can get you in. His name is Jim and the number is 505/883-4224. He also used to have a toll free number 877/434-6322. Tell him Paul with the red '96 SL320 recommended him. He'll treat you fairly.
Scedos likes this.

1996 C220 152k miles
1996 SL320 102k miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I never did get there, but I'm heading that way. What is his hourly rate?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
UPDATE - and PRAISE for MICKEY...

Recently, I had the good fortune and pleasure of calling Mickey, the owner of Jim's Fine Cars and spending a day with him and his lead tech, Morgan.

Mickey & Co are everything Paul said and more.

Basically, I spent a day doing everything he suggested and at 5.30am I am now up writing this review - that should tell you something in and of itself...

Mickey is very skilled and knowledgable. Here's an example:- I am getting my car repaired for paint damage at a body shop. Like most of us I am on a budget. So not too long ago my local Mercedes dealer spotted my car's windshield was installed incorrectly by the previous owner of my car. Result bad wind noise, which also may have contributed to the A pillar covers being out of alignment - more wind noise. Cost on the windshield from MB - $1,000 + labor.

Not at Jim's fine cars... - so, rather than my idea to remove and reinstall the windscreen to try and save money, Mickey persuades me it will be better and cheaper (!!) to do it right and put a new one in. Hmmn, I'm privately thinking:- "should I tell him how tight my budget really is"?

Next minute he has me a windshield that MB approves for $500m, no wait $300, no wait $205... ALL INSTALLED.

Now he goes further and says I'll get the right trim from MB Classic Car Canter to make sure THIS TIME it is installed absolutely right with no wind noise.

THEN, he says words to the effect of - "let's have the windshield installed here so we know its right, then I will take your car to the body shop so they can do their work and then we'll bring it back here and the install the trim so that no paint gets on the new trim."

At this point I am pretty happy to say the least with Mickey. Because, perhaps I will FINALLY get rid of the weird windscreen wind noise that has contributed to my having almost daily painful headaches whenever I drive the car long distance... Unfortunately, these are something I am very susceptible to and cause me significant pain and discomfort, and are the reason I bought a 140 in the first place. ARRRGGGHHHH!

Also, Mickey charged me just one hour's labour to have Morgan check the entire car over with written report AND run a coolant pressure test and closely examine the entire coolant system for leaks. We wanted to make sure the heater core was fine because that is so expensive to get access to in order replace it would have made me change my car plans significantly...

THEN... we are about to shut up shop, and I show him the estimate from the paint shop. To save me money the paint shop does not want to take all of the trim off, in part because they recognised (thankfully & honestly - another rare combination) that they might easily damage the 140 trim when taking it off, as they were up front in saying to me they had not worked on too many 140's. It's a small body shop owned by a chap called Wayne who has excellent reviews for honesty and customer care. Every review is 5 stars.

So Mickey says, words to the effect of, well, we're not having that and strides outside and starts ticking off all the trim he can take off my car in an hour or so... headlights, tail lights, door handles, grill, aerial etc etc - as he says I have all the tools and ability to do it quickly and easily and safely. At this point I kind of feel like - wow - almost like family. So I give him a deposit so he can get on and head off to my lodging several hours away.

Al I can say is there is a reason there was a Ferrari 365, Porsche 928, Mercedes CL and such cars in his shop.

Mickey's a gentleman and a pleasure to watch work.

Now I'm just up all night wondering and wishing how I had the budget to let him fix all the things that need addressing on my car and sit in his lounge for a few days more, and - as I did when I was there - meet all these 911 and classic car owners just coming through his shop to chat with Mickey & co.

If you are anywhere in New Mexico - it's simple, call Mickey.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SEL
Jim's Fine Cars

I'll be happy to back up what Rch.org and Plink say about Mickey and his crew at Jim's Fine Cars as well. He's obviously great at what he does, spoke to me very straightforwardly about what was wrong, what needed to be done, and asked first if I wanted to do some of the work myself instead of paying for the labor. I thought that was pretty cool, since folks like us with the older cars attempt to be tool-heads sometimes. I can't think of a shop I've ever dealt with that embraced that. Mickey is sharp, honest, and does what he loves. I'll definitely be going there again when I get in over my head.

By the way Plink... I described your car, and Mickey described you ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - West

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in