OR, Portland - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MBI

No, Rich does not own the place, but he is still in same capacity--foreman I think. I only know the new owner's name is Corbin (sp?), and that, unfortunately, he is NO SIG. As for Rich, he is OK by me. It is just that without Sig there seems to be little accountability regarding the direction of repair work. This new owner appears indifferent and all I have to say is BEWARE. I am convinced I spent $2,000 in unnecessary repairs for a complicated problem. There ARE times when those guys in the white lab coats can actually save you money. Cut rate shops are OK for brakes, wiring, shocks etc. but leave the heavy stuff to the real pros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I had some work done at Rasmussen, the local dealer, and had yet another wonderful experience with them. I do plan to try MBI under the new owners and also Burback at some point but did want to remind folks here that the dealer is always a valid option for Portland area folks and, in my experience, has always been prompt, polite and accurate. From the greeter to the service techs to the shuttle drivers it was a completely positive experience.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 1995 S600 Coupe
I highly recommend Rip City Motorsports. They are located on the outskirts of thePearl District at NW 16th and Flanders, across from Chown Hardware.

I lucked into finding this shop because the owner is one of my neighbors. I was washing my '95 S600 Coupe one day and he came up and introduced himself. I've since become good friends with him and had some work done at his shop. One repair required a $700 part and he went out of his way to try and find the part cheaper. I ended up finding the part for $328 online and let him know. He said, "Great! Just buy the part and have it delivered to my shop. When it gets here you can swing by and I'll throw it in."

I've since referred several people to him and each time they've come away extremely happy with their experience.

The owners name is Casey and you can read more about what services they provide at RipCityMotorsports.com. Check them out, you will not be disappointed.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcey View Post
No, Rich does not own the place, but he is still in same capacity--foreman I think. I only know the new owner's name is Corbin (sp?), and that, unfortunately, he is NO SIG. As for Rich, he is OK by me. It is just that without Sig there seems to be little accountability regarding the direction of repair work. This new owner appears indifferent and all I have to say is BEWARE. I am convinced I spent $2,000 in unnecessary repairs for a complicated problem. There ARE times when those guys in the white lab coats can actually save you money. Cut rate shops are OK for brakes, wiring, shocks etc. but leave the heavy stuff to the real pros.
In general I agree with the notion that we should stick with the "real pros" when dealing with complex problems on our complex vehicles. I'd just like to remind everyone that the "real pros" are not found only at MB dealerships.

Casey at Rip City Motorsports is a 10 year certified Mercedes Master Mechanic. That combined with the fact that he is honest, helpfull and charges considerably less than the "Whitecoats" lead me to heavily recommend him to the greater Portland area.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Ripcity Motrsports

I own a 2002 E320 that developed transmission issues which locked the car in "limp mode".

Over $1000 was spent at Hartmann Motors and they incorrectly diagnosed my problem as the Automatic Transmission conductor plate.

A friend recommended I try Casey at Ripcity Motorsports.

In 1 day he thoroughly diagnosed the symptoms, and identified a malfunctioning Valve Body within the transmission.

Avoid the $tealership and utilize a factory trained elite master tech at a fraction of price.

www.ripcitymotorsports.com
407 NW 16th Ave & Flanders
(503)227-0090
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

I'm highly pleased, but not at all surprised, to see another member of these forums have a very positive experience with Casey at Rip City Motorsports.

Spread the word to all your friends. Casey works on pretty much all cars but specializes in european makes.

He will do you right.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM
DUE
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 ///AMG
Ya, I know Casey. I've been going to him for over a year now, recommended from my friend. He's very trustworthy, thorough and won't rip you off.

Highly recommended.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
So, you all wrote about RIp City Motors and Casey, so I decided to give him a call. After talking with the person who picked up the phone, I was blown away by how polite, intelligent, and solid the guy was. I asked if it was Casey and he confirmed. I already know that I'm going to try this place out. Casey was awesome and answered all my questions.

I value personal personal relationships very much. For most aspects of my life, short of buying groceries, I have a "guy" who takes care of that aspect of my life. Casey seems like he is going to be my guy for all my car repairs.

I will be getting my oil changed there next and having some light modifications. Upon the completion of these, I will be posting a full review of my experience. I'm very excited!

Last edited by kev647; 03-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Since I'm under warranty, I went to Mercedes-Benz of Portland for some repair work. My service advisor (who also helps the rest of my family) was amazing and left a great impression. Plus, I checked the costs for some of the other services and they were very competitive with Rip City Motors as well as other places here in Portland. However, this feels contradictory to the term "stealership" which gets used widely to describe the dealerships.

How have your experiences been with with MB of Portland? (and yes, I read some people's experiences on here with MB of Portland being positive...just wanted to know of a few more: did you feel you overpaid? how was your experience with service. this tends to vary from person to person. thanks!)

Last edited by kev647; 03-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2007 SL 550, 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev647 View Post

How have your experiences been with with MB of Portland? (and yes, I read some people's experiences on here with MB of Portland being positive...just wanted to know of a few more: did you feel you overpaid? how was your experience with service. this tends to vary from person to person. thanks!)
I used MB of Portland for my first service (just got a used SL) in May of 2010, and was impressed with everyone at the dealership. The service advisor (Rob Walker) was especially helpful. I'll be going back for the next service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - West

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in