FL, Tallahassee - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1984 300TDT Wagon (wife's ride), 1983 300SD (my ride),1977 300D Sedan (for sale), 1984 300d (Parts C
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FL, Tallahassee

Looking for a good Diesel repair shop that is trustworthy and reliable. I am a mechanic in NC, and have a friend that lives in Tallahassee with an 85 300sd. She is looking for someone local to her that can do some repairs on her car.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommended shop in Tallahassee, FL

This is an older thread, but I wanted to update it with a recommendation for anyone seeking a good, competent repair shop in Tallahassee. I can not say enough about Jon Porter and the guys at Wagen Haus. They specialize in VW, Audi and Porsche and are experts in older air-cooled Porsches, but work on Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Mini etc. and are about as honest as they come.

Jon in particular will be honest with you and help you determine what needs to be done vs. what is recommended, based on your budget. I recently purchased a used 2002 SLK that I knew had a couple leaks, oil and transmission. He gave me a punch list of what should be done and told me what work was more important to do right away, versus what I could wait on. He saved me almost $1000 over what the dealer had told me and two months later, the tranny that the dealer tried to tell me was on its last leg is running strong with only a gasket and filter kit.

They might specialize in VW Group cars, but they appreciate and understand all German makes. Mike Davis is my go to guy on Mercedes and BMW questions. Give them a try.

Disclaimer: I do not work for or am I affiliated with this shop in anyway, I am however a childhood friend of the owner but trust him as a mechanic, friend and an enthusiast. The later is the most important to me, since it takes an enthusiast to know one and only an enthusiast will treat my car like their own.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500, 1983 300SD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just had a pretty good experience with Furrin's. They've treated me right on two other cars. More than happy to actually talk to you at length and don't mind taking input from customers. I will say that in a perfect world there is some work they did that they would not have needed to. However, four other mechanics have had this car in their shop while the car was exhibiting a lean condition (two of them had explicit instructions to find the cause of the condition and both ended up saying "it's only lean at idle, don't worry about it") and Furrin's is the first one actually find the vacuum leak that was the culprit.

The other cars they treated me well on were my old 1983 300SD and my sister's 1995 Volvo 940. In both circumstances they could have run up the bill but were honest with us. This time not only were they honest with me but also demonstrated they are skilled as well.

I recommend Furrins with the caveat that they are right next to the campus and likely deal with people who are not knowledgable about car all the time. They seem like nice folks but I wear my automotive knowledge on my sleeve when I deal with indies. Someone who doesn't know much about cars could possibly have a different experience. I have no reason to think that's the case and based on my reading of the owner and employees as people would think they treat everyone honestly. However, I do think it's important to note that mechanics often provide different experiences for people who don't speak the language and those who do so I cannot speak to the experience of someone who comes in says "my car doesn't work" and leaves it at that.

My prior detailed post about Autoworks international was taken down for some reason, so I won't elaborate too much but I do feel compelled to say that my experience with Furrins is in every way the opposite of the experience I had with Autoworks international. I guess the forum can't keep up negative information about repair shops but I would be happy to elaborate on my experience in a PM if anyone in Tallahassee is looking for a mechanic.

Bill

The Teutonic Plauge
2003 S500
69,000 miles

Last edited by crunk04gtp; 11-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - South

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in