FL, Fort Pierce - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: Current - 2013 GLK350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320. Deceased - 1974 240D, 1992 400E, 1997 E420
Location: An island off the coast of Florida **Use startekinfo.com for official Mercedes technical guidance**
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FL, Fort Pierce

Like most of you, I'm skeptical of dealerships and usually avoid them. That ship has now sailed thanks to Coggin Motor Mall, Fort Pierce FL.

On my 2002 S430, got the dreaded cat death rattle. Called Coggin, found out 2 months remaining on 8 year exhaust sytem warrenty (from date of sale, not manufacture), and 15K left on a 80,000 mile limit. Service Advisor Randy told me that warrenty replacement cost was $3k, and replacement of both catalytic converter sets was accomplished in a day. Four new cats for free.

Randy told me that the car needed new front struts. I knew they had both been leaking from the top seal. (Car never sagged overnight - but it was just a matter of time.) He talked me out of the top side repair because lower seals did not look good on one side. Gave me an estimate of $3,000 new or $1,500 rebuild, and I said I could do better with an indy - when he told me they would pricematch an indy! Called back Randy with price of $399/Arnott struts and $290 labor - and the dealership agreed on the spot! (BTW - online top seal kit for a strut OEM is now $147/side not incl labor) A day later, two rebuilt Arnott struts installed at a good price, and no more strut worries.

The car needed new front tires, and a camber kit adjustment (only done by dealers). Music to my ears - pricematch - and I got stock Michellins for the price of Sam's Club! Also got the camber kit and four wheel alignment after struts and the car rides like a dream (previous slight pull to the right).

Returned the loaner car (2010 C300) got my washed S430 back, and have a new outlook on dealers.

Last edited by atmsmshr; 08-28-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - South

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in