TX, Dallas - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1995 Sl320 Roadster
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did they charge you? I had an estimate done for my 1995 sl320 head gasket and they quoted me $2000. I ended up using a MB mechanic who did it in his spare time for much cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2012 s550
Hello everyone, I got my wheels upgraded to a 22inch on my 2012 S550 and now the ride sucks and there is rubbing too. Can someone recommend any body shop or a place in Dallas where I can take it to get the fenders rolled up or get it fixed where it won't rub?
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 AM
hvw
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2009 CLS 550
Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these shops:

Louden Motorcars
Southwest Auto
Chris's (Grapevine)

Am aware of some of the other great shops that have been listed but I am looking at these because of location issues.

Many "THANKS!!!" for any assistance provided.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1987 560 SL
I take my 5560 SL to Louden's and they do a good job.
They also helped us survive the typical BMW woes with out too much drama or cost.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1999 SL500, 2008 E550, 2013 C250
Park Place

I'm looking at a 2008 E550 in the Dallas, TX area. I just called the nearest MB dealer, Park Place, to schedule an appointment for a PPI and was informed they do not do PPI's due to liability issues. Never heard of this before. What's next, they won't repair your car because of liability?
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 E420
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Just wanted to issue a Warning: Do NOT use Duran European Motors in Dallas. Address: 11054 Shady Trail, Ste. 305, Dallas, TX 75229. Jose Duran.

I had several reoccurring problems with my vehicle, which he failed to diagnose or repair. Example: I had an issue with my vehicle running very rough, with very little power (which I later determined to be bad coils, and which should have been a simple diagnoses for a seasoned Mercedes mechanic). I had my vehicle in his shop 6 or 7 times to repair this issue. He finally "determined" it needed a tune-up, for which he tried to charge me over $1,100.00 (this was years ago). I paid him $900.00 and as I drove away from his shop the issue was still obvious (I don't think he even test drove it). I immediately returned and demanded my money back and all the other money I wasted on useless parts and labor he charged me for this issue. He refused. I stopped payment on that check immediately. I had enough of his multiple failed attempts to repair my vehicle, which happened on many occasions. I also had enough of his infuriating consistency for missing his own deadlines, again and again. The moron even tightened the spark plug plastic cover over several of the new plug wires, which caused an arcing issue and even worse performance than when I first took the vehicle to him for the coil issue, which necessitated a new set of Bosch plug wires, which aren't cheap.

Also noteworthy is that his shop is incredibly cluttered - it looks like a tornado ripped through it. He keeps his tools dirty and strewn about and his shop is so filthy and packed with vehicles (inches between them) that body damage is the inevitable result. Stay away from this con artist.

Last edited by 1994 E420; 08-22-2016 at 04:37 AM.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I've known Jose Duran for years, he's typically a straight shooter and usually more reasonably priced than the other shops. I do not think that I've used any commercial Mechanic since David Poole passed away and have typically done my own work. The exception is Jose as I did have him rebuild the steering box and replace the coupler on my 84 500SL.

His cost to for R&R was about the same cost as an exchange box and I have not had any problems since.

He's a 'one man' operation so his shop is usually packed and he may be backed up. I'm not sure if this should reflect on his work ethic. I suffer from the same problems in my hobby shop and I don't take shortcuts.
While I'm sorry that you've suffered a bad experience here. I feel that it's fair that I share a positive experience about Jose as he's one of the few reasonably priced MB mechanics out there and it's getting harder to cost justify owning anything older than 15 years old if you have to spend what some of the others are charging. Please feel free in posting positive experiences with the mechanic that you use now.

With best regards

Al

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum http://www.stroke8.org

My 280SL restoration
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 E420
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
alabassi: I cannot agree with your assessment of Jose Duran. I'm not sure why, but I used him as my mechanic for years - possibly I had a sense of misplaced loyalty. As far as your power-steering gearbox is concerned, he "rebuilt" mine as well, but he did it 3 times in a row. He couldn't get it adjusted correctly - the steering felt squirrely and like I was driving with huge balloon tires on the front of the vehicle (not Mercedes-like at all) and it leaked far more than before his repair, which is yet another example of him charging me for work and parts that did not resolve the issue. He does not stand behind his work and he refuses to refund the wasted money spent on parts and labor. I took my vehicle to him to be repaired, not to waste money on horrible repairs that made the situation worse and not to be inconvenienced by having to take the vehicle back to him repeatedly for the same problems, and further inconvenienced by his missed deadlines - letting my vehicle sit in his filthy shop for weeks before he even lays a hand on it.

His attitude is also abysmal. Calling to inquire on the status of my vehicle was an exercise in futility. Despite having made an "appointment" he let my vehicle sit in his shop for weeks and when I would ask him why he bothers to make appointments if he can't (or won't) get to the car for weeks, and he tells me if I'm not happy to come and pick it up, while knowing the vehicle is not drivable is the height of arrogance and displays absolutely no regard for me as a long time customer who has spent thousands upon thousand of dollars with him.

I too thought that he was more reasonably priced than other Mercedes Mechanics in Dallas, but having to return multiple times for the same issue without a positive outcome, wasting money on failed repairs, waiting weeks and weeks for a repair, which should take 2 days at the most, and having to deal with his arrogant attitude does not save money in the least, and in fact, ends up costing far more than a reputable shop. No thanks.

I am not in Dallas any longer, but I do have a good mechanic. I am very happy with their diagnostic and repair skills. I posted their information elsewhere in this section.

Last edited by 1994 E420; 08-24-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 E420 View Post
alabbasi: I cannot agree with your assessment of Jose Duran.
Thanks for responding, my assessment is simply based on my experience with him. I'd be interested in hearing about the people you've used since and are happy with.

Best wishes.

With best regards

Al

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum http://www.stroke8.org

My 280SL restoration
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: '01 S430 prior cars: ML55 AMG, ML350 4matic, 190e2.3, 190e2.6 '75 300D '85 500SEL '92 400SE '86 300E
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a bad experience at Krause in Lewisville, TX. I took my 07' ML350 in because I couldn't get the upper radiator hose to seat properly. There's a flimsy connection with a pin that locks the hose in place. While there, they RR'd the water pump and P/S reservoir for $2,000. While driving away from their shop, the lower radiator hose popped out, all coolant escaped, leaving me stranded. They couldn't get the radiator fitting to seat properly, just like me. Apparently, the mechanic's skill level is equal to or less than my own (that's not saying much). They did respond appropriately with a tow truck and fixed the car. I'm not going to return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - South

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in