Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
WI, Milwaukee

In a northern Milwaukee suburb:

Black Forest LLC
BLACK FOREST LLC - Independent service for your Mercedes-Benz

Everything from restorations to simple maintenance. They have a great, highly trained staff, offer regular Saturday hours and at 2/3's the dealer prices.

"Someday you will die somehow and something's gonna steal your carbon."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up Black Forest did well by me!

If you have a Benz in the Metro Milwaukee Area and need a repair you should really consider giving Black Forest a try. I'm a die hard DIY guy and have had bad experiences with dealer repairs and other non-Benz shops. The dealers give me a hard time about buying parts for bigger jobs and offer no assistance when purchasing. I've given up on my local dealers and more often than not turn to on-line suppliers with so-so luck... Anyway, I was forced to do the Conductor Plate or (electronics kit) install on my 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon that decided it didn't want to shift anymore. I let it go to long and set a hard code in ECM. So after replacing the conductor plate I still had a problem, the car wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I was really hesitant to take it to a dealer to get the codes pulled. I did some research on the site and found the recommendation for Black Forest. I called and talked to the Service lady Becky and she was very knowledgeable about my particular problem which instilled confidence in me... I explained that I had done the repair myself and that I knew other things were wrong with the car and all I wanted done was to pull the codes and get the trans out of limp mode. Becky said that wouldn't be a problem and that they would get to it ASAP. So I called AAA for a tow to Black Forest and held my breath... Upon arrival, a Service Tech came out to meet me and we discussed my problem right on the spot. He was kind and talked to me like I might actually know what I was doing and he didn't give me any crap for doing the job myself... A couple of hours later they called and said the car was done, the code was re-set and it had performed well on a test drive. At pick up time got the bill and they didn't even charge me for a full hour of work they said it only took 45 min so that's all they would charge me for... DO YOU BELIVE THAT!!! They also gave me a list of other codes in the ECM for future projects for me and then sent me on my way with a nice thank you note and a little bag of candy... All in all a GREAT experience! I'll be going back. You should give them a try as well!

Black Forest LLC
2900 West Vera Ave ( Just South of Good Hope & West of Range Line Rd.)
Glendale WI 53209
Phone 414-228-4899
BLACK FOREST LLC - Independent service for your Mercedes-Benz
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
Rip off city, they fixed about $600.00 worth of parts on my car without calling or telling me they were going to, broke my third brake light cover and made me pay for the part, all while the car was in for an oil change, nothing more and it took about three days to get it back. Don't give them your business, super scammers!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1987 MB 560 SEL.
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Strange

I have spent many thousands there. The work is generally quite good. The prices are a little less than a dealer but not a whole lot. The one thing that is concerning is the slow communication. I'll try to inquire/schedule something and it may be weeks or more to hear from them. Eventually (so far) they always come through.

The staff is quite friendly and seems professional. So.... not perfect but so far o.k.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScapinBenz View Post
Rip off city, they fixed about $600.00 worth of parts on my car without calling or telling me they were going to, broke my third brake light cover and made me pay for the part, all while the car was in for an oil change, nothing more and it took about three days to get it back. Don't give them your business, super scammers!
Same thing happened to me last time I stopped by Jiffy Lube.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

One more srange thing

Black forest is real odd about communicating. Iprobably have 25-30 completely unanswered emails to them. Eventually (maybe weeks or longer) later, they get back to you. So it works out: just don't expect much communication.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
GermanStar, I see your in Fountain Hills, what a beautiful town, sure beats Scottsdale. If you are unsure of the amount of money that they charged me, I have a copy of the receipt, it's not pretty. To elaborate, the car was there for an oil change, a tail light bulb replacement, and somehow they performed a Level II Inspection, and bam, I'm forking over $600 and change three days later, and got the car back with the third brake light cover gone (broken is what they told me). It took a month to get that part (black not tan) after multiple e-mails to their service advisor.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Scary re: black forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Scary! I have to say, they are quite 'secretive' about things.... no communication at all at times about what is wrong, what they plan to do, how long it will take, will the recommended repair actually fix the problem?'
On some things, I go back to the dealer just because of the 'trust' issue.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I have been going to Concours ever since the bad experience with Black Forest, and after speaking with the service advisor at Concours, Black Forest definitely does things differently than the dealer. I am pretty sure that they cater to the Northshore elite, who will not bat an eye at a $1000 or more bill.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScapinBenz View Post
GermanStar, I see your in Fountain Hills, what a beautiful town, sure beats Scottsdale. If you are unsure of the amount of money that they charged me, I have a copy of the receipt, it's not pretty. To elaborate, the car was there for an oil change, a tail light bulb replacement, and somehow they performed a Level II Inspection, and bam, I'm forking over $600 and change three days later, and got the car back with the third brake light cover gone (broken is what they told me). It took a month to get that part (black not tan) after multiple e-mails to their service advisor.
Quote:
an oil change, nothing more and it took about three days to get it back
Sorry, but there has to be more to it than that (a taillight bulb replacement now adds more to the story). I would wait for my car if I had brought it for just an oil change. 20 minutes, and away you go. How does an oil change turn into $600 and 3 days? It makes no sense. There must have been some level of miscommunication well beyond discussion of an oil change. Also, why pay for an unauthorized service?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - Midwest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in