post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2008 S63 (USS Vengeance) <space for a W140, R129>
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
KY, Louisville

They have and they do, I took them a mirror I found off eBay and swapped out the innards. I just dropped her off yesterday with my eBay steering wheel (looking all brand new thanks to my awesome re-dye job lol) to be swapped. They even write it in the service contract "item supplied by client I guess to cover themselves if it fails, but what I buy is OEM, just used (minus the Autozone stuff).

Now I have taken them some Autozone purchases (spark plugs and an ignition coil) and my adviser told me "not on my watch" lol.
I bet that for more intricate parts they wouldn't, I had my brake system re-done and I did not even think to look for a cheaper used one on eBay, I think brakes are important on a vehicle so I wanted the best, but that is just a preference thing....good brakes (that is my mum's dry sense of humour coming through lol).

Sent from Free App

All worries in life flow from three poisons: Greed, malice and ignorance

Last edited by kawagirl; 05-06-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2002 S500 and 2002 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's shocking to me, but ok.. I just took my 02 s500 over to autobahn motors for a locked ignition, did the eis and new key for about $900.. Tafel wouldn't give me a ballpark price over the phone, even though I knew what was wrong with my car.. 1st day I called them , they were too busy to call me back, next day, I called them again and they told me to bring the car in, to get a estimate, which I know would be well over a grand.. Told them i didnt want to tow my car twice ..Will be taking my cars to autobahn from now on.. My ml500 and my S500.. Thanks, brad at autobahn motors. Btw , I found autobahn on benzworld, what a great site for a DIY er like myself..anything that I can't do myself, I will be taking it to autobahn ..
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E430 Sport 36K, Brilliant Silver / Charcoal 2002 E320 sedan / 41K sold, 1999 CLK 320 33K sold
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would also like to highly recommend Don at Autobahn. He is a very competent and fair diagnostician and works with these complex cars with the following motto:
"the car must not win" meaning that he will find and repair the problem.

He has the knowledge, experience, and expertise. He is also a really down to earth
nice guy. Could not recommend this shop more!!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SEL
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow I can't believe how long it took me to find this thread... I haven't been out of the W126 forum much.

River City Imports, Dutch Bogard in Jeffersonville.
NOT River City Imports at corner of Mellwood and Brownsboro.
LOL! That uh, yeah that clears up a lot.

Pre-purchase diagnosis "This car is great, needs nothing but freon".
I drive it, radiator light, starts overheating, driver window doesn't go up, few other noticeable things.
So I take it to Autobahn.
One day before a 10 day trip, I get a call, "We're up to three pages now, you're gonna spend like 8,000 on this car."
Ugh. I call back the first place - wtf? He says "Oh their mechanics make commission they have to find stuff wrong."
Love how mechanics trash each other...

So I see another 420sel in my neighborhood, track down the driver to ask about his mechanic, and he recommended Motorwerks in New Albany and told me to talk to Ben. They do mainly Mercedes and Volvo and they often have used parts to save on costs. I've been happy with them. They did a whole long list of things including "tie rod assembly" (sp?), later I went back to get blower motor fixed. Total spent so far 1100.

It's a trek though for me especially for littler things. Right now there is a wiring issue with the headlights. (Got new bulbs yesterday.) Brights work but not low beams, on driver side.

I"ll come back and post the places I've been told to check out. Sure would be nice if AngiesList had more on mechanics.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2015
Hello guys. I'm looking for a good shop to resurrect a w114 that have been parked for more than 5 years. Any recommendation? Peterson
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 E500 Sport; 2003 ML350 Inspiration; 2005 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi - I'm going to assume you are NOT looking for a restoration shop, so if that's the case, I'm happy to recommend Autobahn. The shop works on modern and old stuff (there were 2 pagodas in there last time I had them flush my brakes). You'll want to talk to Don - he's been around MB's and cars in general for years and really knows his stuff. They were backed-up last time I was in there, so you may need to wait a week or two to be seen.

I'd also recommend you go to YouTube and watch MercedesSource's "The Beast" playlist series where he pedantically and painstakingly revives an old Benz - maybe you'll get some ideas then figure out what things you can do yourself (I doubt you'll want Autobahn to turn every wrench - they are cheaper than the dealer, but nothing on MB's are cheap).

For the record, I'm very picky about my mechanics and do a lot of my own work (I'm an engineer, my Dad's a mechanic and I grew up under cars). I really like and trust Don and the guys at Autobahn. Finally, just a little bit of unsolicited (but hopefully not unwelcome) advice from someone who's hunted for a lot of cars - be sure you have a good candidate for a resurrection. When you evaluate the body, powertrain, and interior, try to make sure 2 out of 3 are in good or at least reasonable condition. Otherwise it's likely to be a long, expensive restoration.

Sorry for the preaching and best of luck.

The Current Fleet:
2003 E500 Sport - The German Princess; my first MB and new school run car
2005 Lincoln Navigator - Nearly 3 tons of flying red terror (my darling wife's car)
2003 ML350 Inspiration - The Happy Puppy and family runabout; bought it as the 'kids' car (big, safe, and slow)

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2015
Thanks FLMBenz. I finally take a look on the car. I still need to evaluate if this is the good candidate. I will need to do a lot of body work on this car, more that the pictures that the seller sent could tell. I will keep looking for something in better shape.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4-matic 200k miles
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any experience with Auto-Motion off E Broadway?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - Midwest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: