VA, Arlington - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2 5 Speed 172k
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gmorristwn Send a message via Yahoo to gmorristwn Send a message via Skype™ to gmorristwn
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up VA, Arlington

These guys are good. Been at it for 25+ years. Chuck the services manager is friendly, courteous and more than willing to discuss in detail service plans and vehicle assessment.

They do a lot of work on the older W201's both Gasoline and Diesel and I would recommended them over American Service Center for these older vehicles.

Don Pool Mercedes Home

6917 Lee Highway Arlington VA

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2007
Thanks for the recommendation, G. I have a '99 SLK with a top that won't work anymore. I spoke with Chuck at Don Pool. He was great on the phone and very helpful. If I don't use them on this I definitely plan on using them for my next service.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300D-TD, 1984 300TD
Based on the recommendation of this board, I used Roland Schmidt, who is listed under the Maryland shops. He was positively a great, knowledgeable guy, but a bit far from me in VA.

Today, I went to Don Pool in Arlington, again, based on the recommendation here. Biggest mistake EVER.

The "nice, friendly" guy mentioned above, Chuck, was a complete a$$hole from the second I spoke with him on the phone, guffawing at every question I asked. That didn't change when I showed up at the shop. Same attitude from the same guy.

All I wanted was for them to put my car on the lift and run a UV light unerneath to see if he could track down a trans leak, as I had already put UV dye in the trans fluid. Basically a job that would take 10 minutes, so he could order the proper parts and make an appointment to do the car.

Despite having no work going on due to the snow and all lifts empty, he flat out refused to do it, telling me they weren't going to do any work today, even though the shop was open and staffed. To add insult to injury, three techs were sitting down inside the shop doing nothing, literally.

The story only gets better. My car got stuck on a snow pile in their parking lot, which all four of the guys (including Chuck) had seen. Not one of them offered to help me get my car free. I ended up having to borrow their snow shovel and dig my car out on my own, while they watched from inside. Nice, friendly guys indeed.

I was going to send quite a bit of work their way just from this car, as I planned on having them drop the trans and do a complete re-seal, in addition to having them pull the front glass and dash to completely rebuild my AC and vacuum vent system.

I'll be going back to Roland Schmidt in Rockville, MD despite the distance. It would pay just to have the car flat bedded there if required.

A shop's true colors come out in trying times, and Don Pool's colors shone brightly today.

I am more than willing back up my opinions expressed here, anytime. Just e-mail me if you have any questions.

P.S. My location listed in my profile is different than VA. I am here on extended work travel and drove my car out from the West Coast, just in case anybody is wondering the veracity of my statement.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Almost sounds as if you showed up without an appointment after already having discussed the issue. They either agreed to your request over the phone and setup an appointment -- or they didn't. Am I missing something?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1993 190E 2.6
Searching for "Steve," formerly of Don Pool

I have been very dissatisfied with Don Pool, too, ever since their best tech, Steve, left a few years ago. Steve is the W201 expert (as well as for many other chassis) and was the brains of the operation (if Don Pool is still actually involved in this business, I have not seen him for years). I would very much like to find where Steve ended up, as I have a big job that I would trust him with. All of us would benefit from finding out where he went. Anyone know?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2006
I called Don Pool inquiring about machine shop services for my cylinder head and he wasn't very helpful. He subs his machine shop work out to a "private guy" that only works for him and not the public. I got the impression that unless they can get the whole job of rebuilding the head so that he can charge labor big time, he's not interested.

I would stay away from this shop.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Recommended Repair Shops > U.S. - East

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: