Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WTB Thread Scammers

46K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  edfreeman 
#1 ·
We've received reports of new "members" PM'ing those who post WTB threads offering the item or referring them to another seller who is "trusted." The seller then requests unsecured payment methods (such as Western Union or Moneygram) instead of more trusted methods. Thus far, we have no reports of anyone being duped into sending money to these individuals.

If you receive a PM reply to a posted WTB thread that appears suspicious, please report it to the moderators so that it can be investigated. Never send money to someone you do not know using unsecured payment methods. It is always wise to check the posting history of anyone replying to your thread via PM to see if they are active members.

#5 ·
Our scammer detectors are pretty good, but so are the scammers. On the internet, it is always buyer beware, and it is simple to just look at the profile of someone purporting to have just what someone needs and check their posting history. This is an enthusiast site, and if they don't have a posting history, they're scammers.

These days they like to drop phone #'s to text and email addresses so they can take the conversation off site. Someone got taken on here recently.

#8 ·
When I was looking for the OM602 replacement engine for my 250D I got a couple of emails referring me to another person who would have that engine. I contacted them as I was in need, and after asking them for photos of the engine I found out that it was the same photo even while the sellers were in different states. Fortunately I managed to get the engine rather locally, and it happens to be a very good engine.

#9 ·
they tried to get me w the exact same scam 2 days ago . the car was beautiful too from the pics they sent . i called the phone number he was texting me from and it was a google number . when i pointed out they were nigerian scammers they turned violent and started texting in a different language . the number they were using is 8656309637. name on email was jesus maek email was jesusmaek79@gmail.com

#11 · (Edited)
I zapped them when they replied in your thread. Both of them were scammers. Want to buy threads attract them, which is the purpose of this thread.
Very unlikely someone with no posting history on the site is going to show up in your thread and have just what you need. A posting history will show they are active participants in the car forum you're looking for a part for.

#22 ·
Didn’t even get that far with Rick Spicey! He offered me much less than asking price ($250 Included shipping. Was too busy to talk, texting only. When I asked for pictures and if he was a dealer with a shop or a private seller, he said private. When he sent picture it wasn’t my part. Told him no thanks. He then asked me to send a pic of what I need so he can check his shop! Scam scam scam.

#26 ·
I may have been stung.....
I went to great lengths by search scam sites with the two email addresses provided.
When I got the images, I copied those into google images just in case they found this reasonably rare part in an image when googled and nothing.
I used PayPal and selected Supplier as this way I was covered, I thought, if he didn't supply. However, this froze his account and he refunded the money. He wanted me to use Friends & Family.
After I'd done all the checks and he refunded me the money via PayPal, I thought well a scammer wouldn't send the money back? BUT I was wrong, it did freeze his account and I spoke with PayPal about it and why etc.
By then we were up to 20+ emails and I sent him an Amazon Gift Card.
When this Gift Card was mailed to his gmail address it bounced advising this address does not exist.
So, in good faith and just wanting this to happen, I sent the gift card to the second address.
That was 48 hours ago, nothing back.

I have reported the two parties involved to the moderators of BenzWorld.

Far out all I want is the part!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.