LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking of buying an E500

Hello everyone! Never had a MB before but I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 E500 for $1250. The body and underneath is mint and it has 155,000kms. It's the aluminum V8 engine. The catch is that it isn't going into 5th gear. The other 4 gears are fine and not making any noise. Also, the guy tried to boost the car and now the information center and speedometer isn't working. I'm hoping it may all be a simply, inexpensive fix but thought I'd post here to get everyone's opinion as to whether I should go for it or stay away. Thanks to all in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquirk View Post
Hello everyone! Never had a MB before but I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 E500 for $1250. The body and underneath is mint and it has 155,000kms. It's the aluminum V8 engine. The catch is that it isn't going into 5th gear. The other 4 gears are fine and not making any noise. Also, the guy tried to boost the car and now the information center and speedometer isn't working. I'm hoping it may all be a simply, inexpensive fix but thought I'd post here to get everyone's opinion as to whether I should go for it or stay away. Thanks to all in advance for your help.
The site is organized by chassis, yours probably is the W211 forum you want. I am going to copy your post there.
Top toolbar, click 'Forums' and scroll down to 'W211 E-Class.'

Please be aware that a cheap Mercedes can be one of the most expensive cars.
Essential reading http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...-mercedes.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much Teutone! I may just leave the car where it is.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Thanks so much Teutone! I may just leave the car where it is.
You never know, it might be something simple to fix, if you are a mechanic. So, if you look at the car again, make sure to take a mechanic who knows these cars.
The $150-200 for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) to a Mercedes mechanic is the best money you can spend. Your mechanic, not the sellers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I hear ya. The guy has the car at the local Benz dealer now but said he can't afford to go any further with it as they want to take a part the transmission to see exactly what's wrong with it. I think he's a pretty honest guy because the problem with the transmission happened after he advertised the car. So before I could ask if there was anything wrong with the car, he had disclosed the transmission and cluster problems. He was originally asking $2500 then dropped it back to $1500. Worst case...I'd be looking at $5000 in repairs ($3000 for transmission), ($2000 for cluster). I can buy a used cluster for $150 but apparently you can't use anything but a new cluster in the E500's. So then I'm looking at $6250 altogether and I can get a mint 2003 Jag Type-S or X for $4000. I guess it's just if the car is worth the time money and effort. Also, not a mechanic...actually a bus driver.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I hear ya. The guy has the car at the local Benz dealer now but said he can't afford to go any further with it as they want to take a part the transmission to see exactly what's wrong with it. I think he's a pretty honest guy because the problem with the transmission happened after he advertised the car. So before I could ask if there was anything wrong with the car, he had disclosed the transmission and cluster problems. He was originally asking $2500 then dropped it back to $1500. Worst case...I'd be looking at $5000 in repairs ($3000 for transmission), ($2000 for cluster). I can buy a used cluster for $150 but apparently you can't use anything but a new cluster in the E500's. So then I'm looking at $6250 altogether and I can get a mint 2003 Jag Type-S or X for $4000. I guess it's just if the car is worth the time money and effort. Also, not a mechanic...actually a bus driver.
Well, as a bus driver you should have a better than average idea about cars.
If the cluster happened when he tried to jump start the car, who knows how many shorts were caused.
I don't know the W211, but some build years of predecessors were notorious for crumbling wiring looms with shorts from touching wires and warning lights coming on for no discernible reason.
The only fix was a new wiring loom, with labor more than what the guy is asking for.
I would follow your thread in the W211 later in the day. They know these cars.
Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in