FS: Very nice 2005 CL65 AMG, either 'work needed' or 'turnkey' depending on price - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: Very nice 2005 CL65 AMG, either 'work needed' or 'turnkey' depending on price

I bought this car cheap because it needed some work, and for most people a CL65 that 'needs work' is very scary, so I was able to get a good price.

This is a silver over black 2005 CL65. It has 82K miles, and a nice service history. It is a lemon-law buyback car because the MB dealer could not get the radio/nav unit to work properly. It currently does not make sound and shuts itself off. Options include keyless go, trunk closer, sat radio, and parktronic.

This car also has some mechanical needs. The engine and transmission are perfect, all 604HP present and accounted for, and it runs like a beast on the road. So the truly scary stuff, expense-wise, it does NOT need; engine and trans are great.

It needs maintenance updating, and some ABC suspension work. There is one strut leaking and a few lines leaking. Brakes need to be done which for most people on this car is very expensive (but not for me!). Trans electrical connector, engine drive belt, Mobil 1 oil change, wiper blades, trunk struts, etc. Nothing unusual.

The standard suspension components themselves, like strut mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, etc are all very good. No clunking or thunking on the road. I already did tires, so those are good, and to be excellent cosmetically you'd want to refinish the wheels, which have some curbing and some scratches to the wheel faces. And new lug nuts.

So some ABC work, maintenance, wheel refinish, and radio repair and you're good to go. Cosmetics are very nice inside and out, paint original, no accidents, clean carfax, etc. Car lived a few years in Florida and then in Maryland, so not a northern winter car.

If you want to do the work yourself I will turn over my parts sources /and or procure the parts on your behalf and at your expense so you'll pay the same prices I do.

So that's the deal.

The funny part is you can take it out today and it runs like a champ. Other than the ABC light on and if you did not use radio, you might not even know anything was needed. It drives great, like a proper CL65. It just needs to be brought up to date on maintenance and replace a few ABC components to kill the warning light.

It's not crazy hard or complex work to do; if you are backyard mechanic you can easily do all the work this car needs yourself and save a ton on labor. I am estimating $3K in parts. The only exception might be the radio, but honestly if I was doing it I'd just put in an aftermarket nav/bluetooth unit and be done; it'll be nicer and better than the stock unit and double-DIN units with 3D nav that look nice in this car can be had for under $400.

If someone wants the car as is, detailed and including the tires done, I can sell it for $16.5K. If someone wants the car with all work complete, 100% done and ready to roll, it's $23.5K.

That price delta is basically what it will cost me to do all the work plus a little extra to compensate me for my time/effort doing it all.

Car is located in eastern PA, about 45 minutes north of Philly. I can arrange for inexpensive rapid transport anywhere in USA.

Again, the car starts, runs, looks, and drives great. It needs ABC work, radio solution, and maintenance. $3K in parts for a DIYer and you have yourself an excellent CL65 for $20K! And then there will be nothing to do for a long time as you'll have done all the repairs and maintenance needed for quite a while.

Please contact Bruce if interested at 856-912-600, or email me at brucem105@comcast.net.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftfront.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1887058   Click image for larger version

Name:	rightrear.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1887066   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1887074   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearseat2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1887082   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1887090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1887098   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1887106   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1887114  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: