Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/23K !
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
FREE Smart Key Repair/Upgrade

Hey, so I changed my black plastic smart keys to much nicer Chrome Keys 3 years ago when I bought my 2005 CLK.

And they have held up beautifully. Meanwhile, the guy who was doing this as a service here in US has stopped, for whatever reason. I like fixing things and I do solder work for a computer company, so this is right up my alley.

I don't see this as a big industry or even a part time job type thing, just a fun hobby I could do and help people out.

Big thing to know is that all I can do is fix a failed/failing key or move the "brain" from a black plastic key to a shiny Chrome one. I can't make a new one, can't read an old one, can't work on EIS or anything else like that. I just move the chip with the codes in it from dead/dying key to one in better shape.

Can't be Keyless go. WON'T WORK.

I already repaired 2 keys for Elvis Presley, a member here. I want to do a few more FOR FREE before I start an Ebay Business doing this in US. From what i can tell there is someone doing it in UK, but no longer anyone in US.

So, if you send me your dead plastic key (has to look like black plastic one in Pic) along with shipping cost and a useable donor key, I will move chip over and return. If buying a Chrome Key, it absolutely HAS to be like the green circuit board in the other pic. That is only one that works for transplant. Or you could send an identical black plastic one.

The part number for the Chrome key ends in "49031" IIRC. EBay is crawling with them. Usually about $50, perfect ones are like $100. PM me for further details. You might get lucky and snag a nice one for $25.

Some notes, don't send me your only key, I mean REALLY DON'T unless it is dead and you don't feel like paying dealer. It is really silly to only have one key for these cars. Aside from the anxiety of always being one puddle drop away from disaster, it is REALLY hard to troubleshoot EIS/Key issues when you only have one. Plus I don't want to get any emails saying "Hey, my car is gonna get towed if you don't return key RIGHT NOW". Don't need the stress.

So MUCH better to send me a 2nd key, especially a dead one that has been sitting in drawer and is currently useless. Or if you have one that unlocking quit but can start car, or it will unlock but won't start while you have a 2nd key that works fine.

Did I mention that it has to be the black plastic or Chrome one with same PCB? And NO KEYLESS GO? And if you upgrade to Chrome the metal one from black key won't fit anymore but you will need to get a blank cut for it.

OK. Looking to help out some forum members and gain some experience. Aside from providing the keys and shipping, I also ask for honest feedback here in this thread or in a thread you already started about bad key.

Should be US or Canada as I think EU has different frequencies. 315 Mhz in US.

Please PM or post questions.

Note to mods: I don't have a locksmith shop or any kind of auto repair business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1694409   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1694417  

Last edited by 93SoCal400E; 12-01-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/23K !
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Just saved someone a small fortune. From "the other board" named Kayca. (would put a link but don't want to break any rules)

He had one plastic key left and the case had cracks and breaks in the buttons. He got a new case for it but apparently it wasn't a good fit. Once he got it in he found that the key would lock/unlock the doors but would no longer turn in the ignition. Trying to save his old key had turned his CL500 into a 2 ton driveway blocker !

Dealer wanted $400 and a locksmith told him minimum of $250 to repair his key or $350 for a new key. He was getting desperate.

He drove over and I moved the chip in under 10 minutes. (He did spend 3-4 hours driving back and forth, however, in a Toyota !) On inspection with a lighted magnifier I could see something smaller than a human hair poking off that induction coil. Pretty easy to kill them.

When he got back home he said the car fired on first try, he was ecstatic ! $55 and he had a Chrome key with no holes in the buttons. (was cost for the used key on Ebay, I charged him nothing for service, a FREEBIE) No more worrying about water leaking in, and much less embarrassing to hand to a valet.

Going to do a few more free ones. Would be great to connect with an Indie here in LA. If you have a semi-dead or fully dead one rolling around in a junk drawer it is an ideal candidate. If you already have the donor and chip keys and drop it off, totally 100% FREE. I just ask for a post detailing how it worked out. Or you can mail them to me and just include return US postage.

Knowing I just saved him from having car towed to dealer and a $400 charge ($320 for key, $80 to "program" it...ha!) I felt really good. Money better spent on X-Mas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_72558.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1697009  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '95 C280 - '91 300SL - '00 E55 AMG - '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 93SoCal400E View Post
Would be great to connect with an Indie here in LA. .
Please be careful and consider all the legal ramifications before going all out with this service.

Since keys are considered ''security items'' I'm sure they have some kind of verbiage saying what you are doing is frowned upon.

Don't get me wrong, I love what you are doing and think it's awesome, but Mercedes pays their lawyers well. I know they've pushed around folks in the past doing EIS repairs commercially.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: