1983 Mercedes Benz 500sel AMG Euro Spec- AUTHENTIC and RARE - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
amusicianslife's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '88 560SEC AMG Widebody, '83 500SEL AMG, '71 280SE, '01 Lexus LX470, '04 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1983 Mercedes Benz 500sel AMG Euro Spec- AUTHENTIC and RARE

One of the very few authentic pre-merger AMGs in the USA featuring an astonishingly low 81k original miles. This car was imported in 1983 by it's original owner along with another armored version of the W126 500SEL making it a true grey market euro spec car. This 1983 Mercedes 500 SEL AMG features the full AMG spec kit including front and rear bumpers, side skirts, penta wheels, paint, and steering wheel. Other AMG specific mods include upgraded cams, brakes, suspension, and exhaust. While there are no solid production numbers for this car, there are believed to be less than 20 AMG specs to be imported into the USA. The car has always been garage kept and meticulously maintained. Mechanically excellent. Recent services include fresh oil and filter change, new high flow cats, new brake pads, and a new fuel filter and relay. The AC was recently serviced and blows ice cold and additionally has been converted to R134. The heat works perfectly as well. Imperfections include a crack in the middle of the dash and a tear on the driver side front seat. Both aesthetic and easily repairable. There are some minor rock chips as expected for a car of this age however, there is absolutely no rust anywhere on the entire car. The head unit has also been tastefully updated to allow for bluetooth, USB, and CD playing capabilities and two new front door speakers while still maintaining the OEM look. This car was built to last. Strong engine and smooth transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car anywhere. This is the opportunity to own an extremely rare piece of history and true german muscle.
Since this 500SEL AMG is a grey market euro spec car the VIN has been issued in the states to reflect a US VIN format. The VIN is WDB12603712028407. I have the title in hand free and clear. I also have all of the original owner's manuals and the original registration for the car dating back to 1983 when it was first imported. I am a Mercedes enthusiast and have gone to great lengths to acquire and maintain my cars. This car is 100% AMG authentic and genuine and all original since being built. The car has never been in any kind of accident. Other listings (via eBay) from myself this past year include a 1998 C43 AMG with 28k miles, a 2002 E55 AMG with 89k miles, and a 2001 E55 AMG with 39k miles for those of you who are keeping score. No need to sell, just ready for a new project toy and have too many as is. Please feel free to direct any questions you have to me via email or (276)356-4420.

Asking $10,900 obo. Thanks for looking.













































hamada128 likes this.

Cheers!
www.facebook.com/blakleyleonardmusic

Present: '04 W211 E320 wagon
Previous: '03 VW W8 Sport wagon... I miss it.
'01 VW Passat V6 4Motion wagon
amusicianslife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
bondavi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1984-2005 MB's
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 6,821
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Nice looking SEL! How were you able to discern engine upgrades (cams, et al)? By looking at the heads, or from any AMG docs with the car?
bondavi is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
amusicianslife's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '88 560SEC AMG Widebody, '83 500SEL AMG, '71 280SE, '01 Lexus LX470, '04 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Nice looking SEL! How were you able to discern engine upgrades (cams, et al)? By looking at the heads, or from any AMG docs with the car?
Thanks, she's a rare gem for sure! This is information that my mechanic was able to give me about the car. He's an old Mercedes guy and was amazed to see this in person. I didn't ask about specifics beyond what he told me but he said those cams weren't stock and AMG had definitely touched this car. Unfortunately I don't have any docs with the car although I do have the original registration and title application for the car when it was first imported into the states.
amusicianslife is offline  
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
LWB250's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusicianslife View Post
Thanks, she's a rare gem for sure! This is information that my mechanic was able to give me about the car. He's an old Mercedes guy and was amazed to see this in person. I didn't ask about specifics beyond what he told me but he said those cams weren't stock and AMG had definitely touched this car. Unfortunately I don't have any docs with the car although I do have the original registration and title application for the car when it was first imported into the states.
I am confused. You state in your first post that the car and modifications are 100% AMG but you have nothing to substantiate this other than hearsay from your mechanic?

I would suggest that you run the VIN and engine numbers through MBUSA and see if they can offer anything that might substantiate this. Otherwise, the only things that are AMG on the car are strictly cosmetic that could have been added at any time.

Is there any identifying information on the exhaust, suspension or other visible parts? This would be easy enough to identify, as they would be clearly different from the stock parts.

Maybe someone else in the forum can offer advice as to how to identify that AMG did, in fact, make modifications to the car beyond what is visible.

The data card doesn't yield anything that would indicate it's anything but a stock 500SEL (see attached).

Here are some references to those exact questions when the car was listed on BAT:

Gray Import AMG: 1983 Mercedes Benz 500 SEL | Bring a Trailer

And just out of curiosity, how many places are you trying to sell this car? Google the VIN, it's everywhere!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1983 500SEL.pdf (43.3 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by LWB250; 11-20-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added data card
LWB250 is online now  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
amusicianslife's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '88 560SEC AMG Widebody, '83 500SEL AMG, '71 280SE, '01 Lexus LX470, '04 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
I am confused. You state in your first post that the car and modifications are 100% AMG but you have nothing to substantiate this other than hearsay from your mechanic?

I would suggest that you run the VIN and engine numbers through MBUSA and see if they can offer anything that might substantiate this. Otherwise, the only things that are AMG on the car are strictly cosmetic that could have been added at any time.

Is there any identifying information on the exhaust, suspension or other visible parts? This would be easy enough to identify, as they would be clearly different from the stock parts.

Maybe someone else in the forum can offer advice as to how to identify that AMG did, in fact, make modifications to the car beyond what is visible.

Here are some references to those exact questions when the car was listed on BAT:

Gray Import AMG: 1983 Mercedes Benz 500 SEL | Bring a Trailer

And just out of curiosity, how many places are you trying to sell this car? Google the VIN, it's everywhere!

Great job on the research. Never knew that was possible.

I have tried contacting both AMG and Mercedes with no luck. I have various other friends in the community with similar premerger AMGs that have had the same. If I had any piece of paper stating the exact modifications done by AMG I promise it wouldn't be for this price. I have taken all things into consideration and this is still undervalued as is. The previous owner of the car knew the original owner of the car on a family basis (yes I did verify) and it was brought into the states with AMG mods along side an armored version of the 500.

I would put money on my mechanic as he knows his shit very well. I guess we can't all be know-it-alls.

Cheers!
www.facebook.com/blakleyleonardmusic

Present: '04 W211 E320 wagon
Previous: '03 VW W8 Sport wagon... I miss it.
'01 VW Passat V6 4Motion wagon
amusicianslife is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
LWB250's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusicianslife View Post
Great job on the research. Never knew that was possible.

I have tried contacting both AMG and Mercedes with no luck. I have various other friends in the community with similar premerger AMGs that have had the same. If I had any piece of paper stating the exact modifications done by AMG I promise it wouldn't be for this price. I have taken all things into consideration and this is still undervalued as is. The previous owner of the car knew the original owner of the car on a family basis (yes I did verify) and it was brought into the states with AMG mods along side an armored version of the 500.

I would put money on my mechanic as he knows his shit very well. I guess we can't all be know-it-alls.
I'm not trying to thread crap, but I get really skeptical when I see claims like this without anything substantive to back it up.

There are ways to determine such things if you do the research. Unfortunately, hearsay isn't going to substantiate anything, which is probably the reason why you're not getting any interest at some of the prices you've listed at previously.

Also, things like AMG exhausts are very distinctive, however, if you've cut things up to install non-OE cats, for example, that evidence ended up in the scrap pile. For that matter, if the car had an AMG exhaust, the tips are very unique and nothing like the stock tips. The resonators are different, too. Are the original ones still on the car? I would expect them to be based on condition and mileage. Part numbers will be clearly stamped on these parts and easily identified as stock (or not.)

How would your mechanic know the cams were not stock? Did he look at the part numbers? What was the giveaway? These are things that might help you to get some clarity over the question of AMG or not AMG.

If the suspension was modified, sway bar diameters (easy to check) would be another giveaway. AMG sway bars would be larger in diameter.

These are details that people who know these cars well are looking for. If they're not present, it only furthers the skepticism over the validity of your claims.

Last edited by LWB250; 11-20-2015 at 05:51 PM.
LWB250 is online now  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
amusicianslife's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '88 560SEC AMG Widebody, '83 500SEL AMG, '71 280SE, '01 Lexus LX470, '04 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
I'm not trying to thread crap, but I get really skeptical when I see claims like this without anything substantive to back it up.

There are ways to determine such things if you do the research. Unfortunately, hearsay isn't going to substantiate anything, which is probably the reason why you're not getting any interest at some of the prices you've listed at previously.

Also, things like AMG exhausts are very distinctive, however, if you've cut things up to install non-OE cats, for example, that evidence ended up in the scrap pile. For that matter, if the car had an AMG exhaust, the tips are very unique and nothing like the stock tips. The resonators are different, too. Are the original ones still on the car? I would expect them to be based on condition and mileage. Part numbers will be clearly stamped on these parts and easily identified as stock (or not.)

How would your mechanic know the cams were not stock? Did he look at the part numbers? What was the giveaway? These are things that might help you to get some clarity over the question of AMG or not AMG.

These are details that people who know these cars well are looking for. If they're not present, it only furthers the skepticism over the validity of your claims.

I understand where you're coming from. I really do. I've owned just a few in my time. I may take the car back to my mechanic and have him write down part numbers. I may not. I know this car does not have AMG exhaust tips. The cats were rattling on the inside so I replaced them.

I've listed the car personally on this forum, MBworld, and eBay. I have too many projects right now and if I wanted to pick this one apart some more I would. Instead, attention is on my coupe. I've done a lot to this car to make it daily drivable and reliable. With the info I have and the car as it sits, price is more than fair. I invite anyone who wants to come and see the car and write down as many part numbers as they can find. Also, google, bing, yahoo, search away my friends.

Cheers!
www.facebook.com/blakleyleonardmusic

Present: '04 W211 E320 wagon
Previous: '03 VW W8 Sport wagon... I miss it.
'01 VW Passat V6 4Motion wagon
amusicianslife is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Pirublues's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: '79 240D
Location: Southern California
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
I almost sure AMG cams have "AMG" stamped on the end of them. Just pull a valve cover and check.
Pirublues is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
bondavi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1984-2005 MB's
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 6,821
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
A quick cheat list to look for AMG parts:

Color of springs, some have AMG stickers
Exhaust manifolds - if 2 piece per side that's AMG or stock 4 in 1
AMG cams have "AMG 50.1" on the back end of the cam and solid lifter clips on each rocker. Easy to see thru the oil filler cap

Here's a couple pics of an example, AMG solid lifter 279hp M117 motor:




Last edited by bondavi; 11-20-2015 at 06:50 PM.
bondavi is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
LWB250's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Thanks, bondavi - this is really great information to have for reference!
LWB250 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome