Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1983 Mercedes Benz 500sel AMG Euro Spec- AUTHENTIC and RARE

14K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  Luke Colorado 
#1 ·
One of the very few authentic pre-merger AMGs in the USA featuring an astonishingly low 81k original miles. This car was imported in 1983 by it's original owner along with another armored version of the W126 500SEL making it a true grey market euro spec car. This 1983 Mercedes 500 SEL AMG features the full AMG spec kit including front and rear bumpers, side skirts, penta wheels, paint, and steering wheel. Other AMG specific mods include upgraded cams, brakes, suspension, and exhaust. While there are no solid production numbers for this car, there are believed to be less than 20 AMG specs to be imported into the USA. The car has always been garage kept and meticulously maintained. Mechanically excellent. Recent services include fresh oil and filter change, new high flow cats, new brake pads, and a new fuel filter and relay. The AC was recently serviced and blows ice cold and additionally has been converted to R134. The heat works perfectly as well. Imperfections include a crack in the middle of the dash and a tear on the driver side front seat. Both aesthetic and easily repairable. There are some minor rock chips as expected for a car of this age however, there is absolutely no rust anywhere on the entire car. The head unit has also been tastefully updated to allow for bluetooth, USB, and CD playing capabilities and two new front door speakers while still maintaining the OEM look. This car was built to last. Strong engine and smooth transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car anywhere. This is the opportunity to own an extremely rare piece of history and true german muscle.
Since this 500SEL AMG is a grey market euro spec car the VIN has been issued in the states to reflect a US VIN format. The VIN is WDB12603712028407. I have the title in hand free and clear. I also have all of the original owner's manuals and the original registration for the car dating back to 1983 when it was first imported. I am a Mercedes enthusiast and have gone to great lengths to acquire and maintain my cars. This car is 100% AMG authentic and genuine and all original since being built. The car has never been in any kind of accident. Other listings (via eBay) from myself this past year include a 1998 C43 AMG with 28k miles, a 2002 E55 AMG with 89k miles, and a 2001 E55 AMG with 39k miles for those of you who are keeping score. No need to sell, just ready for a new project toy and have too many as is. Please feel free to direct any questions you have to me via email or (276)356-4420.

Asking $10,900 obo. Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, she's a rare gem for sure! This is information that my mechanic was able to give me about the car. He's an old Mercedes guy and was amazed to see this in person. I didn't ask about specifics beyond what he told me but he said those cams weren't stock and AMG had definitely touched this car. Unfortunately I don't have any docs with the car although I do have the original registration and title application for the car when it was first imported into the states.

#9 · (Edited)
A quick cheat list to look for AMG parts:

Color of springs, some have AMG stickers
Exhaust manifolds - if 2 piece per side that's AMG or stock 4 in 1
AMG cams have "AMG 50.1" on the back end of the cam and solid lifter clips on each rocker. Easy to see thru the oil filler cap

Here's a couple pics of an example, AMG solid lifter 279hp M117 motor:

#12 ·
I always questioned when this car was for sale @ $25k why the seller didn't spend a couple hundred dollars to replace/repair the split in the drivers seat bottom. My thoughts, this is just a hunk of metal to the seller and as we have seen has been on the market a long time. I really like the car and it is getting close to a realistic value. Someone seriously interested should pay for a thorough PPI and see if this is just a nice SEL with a body kit or more of a pure AMG modified car. I would just get back to basics as in if I was going to buy a $10k diamond or Rolex, I would sure as heck have it looked at.

#14 ·
Pulling the right side rocker cover takes all of 10 minutes and using a mirror & torch to check the stamping on the end of the cams facing the firewall is easy.

Nice project car if it is an AMG
Pics at dusk make it hard to see the paintwork etc versus bright sunlight when looking online. Lots of oxidation on the alloy in the engine bay indicates its spent a fair share of its time out in the cold damp weather at some stage.
Rims do need a proper re-furb too, but as you say hence the dropped asking price accordingly.

#17 ·
I will attempt to look for the AMG markings on the cams once I'm able. I had knee surgery last week and that has taken priority over looking over my cars in my garage. Looking at the data card, the paint code shows 172. Is that an AMG color option only?

After some research, it seems that it isn't uncommon to find an authentic AMG car from this era with only aesthetic mods. So it's not out of the question, but I've been working with my mechanic for a long time and he gets paid to do this. Not me.

#30 ·
Looking at the data card, the paint code shows 172. Is that an AMG color option only?

After some research, it seems that it isn't uncommon to find an authentic AMG car from this era with only aesthetic mods. So it's not out of the question, but I've been working with my mechanic for a long time and he gets paid to do this. Not me.

DB172 is Anthracite Gray, a color that MB has used since the 50's. That you were not aware of this fact is concerning... how can you then -with all the certainty in the world- advertise this car as "AUTHENTIC and RARE"?

As it stands at this point, you have an 'authentic' but not 'rare' W126 500SEL with an AMG kit.

We are not trying to be pricks here, but this is the lion's dens for MB knowledge base and you can't just stroll here making claims when it is clear you have not done your due diligence as to what you're selling. We have followed this car (specially Bondavi and others) since before you bought it because it is an interesting example with the potential of being a special one.

My other concern is your lack of transparency. Your current knee problem, the car being away from you, relying on your mechanic's word, all sound like excuses to me. You have been asked -repeatedly- the same questions for months. Here and at other websites.

This may be harsh but based on the evidence so far, I believe you have been misrepresenting this car hoping some neophyte bites on the AMG hook. In fact, this is pretty close to fraud, imo.

#19 ·
I don't consider myself a "naysayer". Claims are being made that directly affect the suggested value of the vehicle in question, and having looked at several 500SELs of similar vintage in my area recently, I want to know what, in fact, establishes that such claims are valid.

There has been a fair amount of information provided by other members that has been quite helpful in establishing the credibility of such claims, whether they pertain to this car or others. As a result, I now have a much better idea of what to look for to determine if a car of this model and vintage could potentially have a pedigree as this one is claimed to have.

The "naysayer" attitude that you may perceive is, I suspect, more due to the seller's unwillingness (to date) to substantiate the claims, or at least conduct some of the inspection necessary to do so. Some of the things suggested that would put many of the questions to rest are quite simple and require minimal effort. So why not do it?

It falls back to the old line of "the AC just needs a recharge". How difficult could the be to undertake? The unwillingness to exert minimal effort to resolve an issue speaks to credibility.

#20 ·
Not sure where the AC comment is coming from... I've had this car fully maintenanced and the AC is fully operational. And if it wasn't clear before, I have been dealing with more important things with my knee trying to get healthy. It's not an unwillingness to look or help. Hell, I'm just as curious as you are but no need to be a dbag about it. My cars stay in a garage a few miles from my house and I truly have not had the time to investigate. This clearly is not the car for you sir. Also, in regards to value, I have priced the car according to what information I do have and believe this is a more than fair price.

#21 · (Edited)
I was drawing a parallel, better yet, making an analogy. There was no question about the AC on this car. You took the comment out of context.

No one is being a "dbag" about this. You're making claims, people have provided the means to substantiate them (or not) and you have yet to respond. You just now explained why, so that's certainly helpful. Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it gets better.

As for value, I have made no assertions about the price, however, others have. I'll withhold my judgement in that area until the questions that have been brought forth are answered. Otherwise, it would be unfair to do so.

As for being a potential buyer, no, I am not. I have been looking for a nice early 1980s Euro W126 chassis car, but the AMG aspect holds no interest for me other than for the few I have seen that have claimed to have AMG modifications. This thread has generated a wealth of knowledge to that effect, to which I am most grateful. It might even warrant being made into a "sticky" for just that reason.

I do have some curiosity in seeing how this particular situation plays out, however.

#22 ·
172 is Anthracite, the color this SEL is in.

No other codes or references on the car's VIN will show any AMG stuff, as back in the day. The provenance is separate from the VIN, at least during these years.

The AC stuff was just referencing a saying commonly used by car sellers - not in reference to your AC system.

How long have you owned the car?

#23 ·
No other codes or references on the car's VIN will show any AMG stuff, as back in the day. The provenance is separate from the VIN, at least during these years.
That's the fascinating part about this - AMG pre-merger was done pretty much "off the books" in a manner of speaking.

Do you know of any other ways to identify AMG modifications other than the obvious or the ones you've mentioned so far? I have learned more about AMG stuff in early cars in this thread than anywhere else. Thanks!

#24 · (Edited)
Some AMG M117 stroker motors will have their displacement stamped next to the serial on the block. Pictured is a 5.4 stroker.

Another AMG mod was the rear end, to a Gleason-Torsen unit, identified by the heavily-finned cover compared to stock 2.24. Some had AMG mod the stock rear end gears to 2.82 and 3.27's amongst other ratios. If the car revs at 2k rpm at 65-70, that's a stock rear end. If 3k then that's non-stock.

The thing is AMG mods are so stealth it takes a closer, educated look. I will say, though, from my experience at least 95%, maybe more of all cars are aesthetic only mods. Some have stickers on the valve covers, radiator support or air filters but these were easily removed over the years.

Also a pic of top part of solid lifter motor.

Also spoilers should have AMG imprinted with part numbers at some point otherwise it's a knock off.

#31 · (Edited)
Many of the gentlemen here market their posts as some sort of consumer protection program, but really they just get off on nitpicking cars they either can't afford or that they fear someone else is trying to profit from. Don't take them seriously. Not talking about you, LWB250.

That said, the claims about this car are easy to substantiate and so it's odd that you would rather drop the price several thousand dollars than spend and hour proving them out.

#32 ·
#34 ·
OK, folks, pretty sure there's enough questions in the thread, the seller can either answer them or not at his own peril.

Good questions asked, but the thread is veering away from an ad with questions and into a discussion about the seller. Let it be or take it to another forum area.

#35 ·
Lots of great info here. If there car doesn't sell I will be doing some investigating and providing some pictures with what I find. Although it is in a sense an excuse, my knee surgery has played a huge role in the prevention of following up before and even now. In addition, I do keep my cars in a separate garage. Can't really help any of that. That's just the way it is. Since picking up my latest project (560sec widebody), I have chosen to drop the price dramatically to sell it quickly because I don't have the time or ability to do much else at the moment.

To answer some of the questions from above: It was originally owned by the Koch family, billionaires in KS. I have the original registration in their name and application for title. I've had the discussion about the 172 anrthracite paint code with numerous MB enthusiasts and never got clarity. So glad we have someone who knows literally everything gracing us with their presence. For what it's worth, when I'm driving the car on the highway around 65mph, the revs are right at 3k.

At this point, I may hold on to the car until I can get pictures and research with my mechanic for true values sake. To me, I say this is a steal. I would keep it but the 560 is in need of some restoration as it's somewhat of a barn find.

As for the naysayers, please feel free to pick apart the 560 as well. I'm on some great pain meds right now and frankly don't care.

#37 ·
Yeah I'm hoping so on the gears. We'll see how it all plays out and I'll try to get with my mechanic to really see once I'm walking again!

The 560 widebody conversion seems to have been done in florida in the late 80s after it was imported to the states in stock spec but I'm not totally sure. The kit is authentic though and not a tacky rep. Still researching to find out the specifics on this one. Unfortunately, doesn't appear right off hand to have much more than aesthetic mods done but to be a widebody I'm okay with it. It's just a car I've always wanted. It's been sitting in this older gentleman's garage for years. It's got 35k original documented miles. Kind of hard to believe so I had to scoop it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.