Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1983 Mercedes Benz 500sel AMG Euro Spec- AUTHENTIC and RARE

14K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  Luke Colorado 
#1 ·
One of the very few authentic pre-merger AMGs in the USA featuring an astonishingly low 81k original miles. This car was imported in 1983 by it's original owner along with another armored version of the W126 500SEL making it a true grey market euro spec car. This 1983 Mercedes 500 SEL AMG features the full AMG spec kit including front and rear bumpers, side skirts, penta wheels, paint, and steering wheel. Other AMG specific mods include upgraded cams, brakes, suspension, and exhaust. While there are no solid production numbers for this car, there are believed to be less than 20 AMG specs to be imported into the USA. The car has always been garage kept and meticulously maintained. Mechanically excellent. Recent services include fresh oil and filter change, new high flow cats, new brake pads, and a new fuel filter and relay. The AC was recently serviced and blows ice cold and additionally has been converted to R134. The heat works perfectly as well. Imperfections include a crack in the middle of the dash and a tear on the driver side front seat. Both aesthetic and easily repairable. There are some minor rock chips as expected for a car of this age however, there is absolutely no rust anywhere on the entire car. The head unit has also been tastefully updated to allow for bluetooth, USB, and CD playing capabilities and two new front door speakers while still maintaining the OEM look. This car was built to last. Strong engine and smooth transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car anywhere. This is the opportunity to own an extremely rare piece of history and true german muscle.
Since this 500SEL AMG is a grey market euro spec car the VIN has been issued in the states to reflect a US VIN format. The VIN is WDB12603712028407. I have the title in hand free and clear. I also have all of the original owner's manuals and the original registration for the car dating back to 1983 when it was first imported. I am a Mercedes enthusiast and have gone to great lengths to acquire and maintain my cars. This car is 100% AMG authentic and genuine and all original since being built. The car has never been in any kind of accident. Other listings (via eBay) from myself this past year include a 1998 C43 AMG with 28k miles, a 2002 E55 AMG with 89k miles, and a 2001 E55 AMG with 39k miles for those of you who are keeping score. No need to sell, just ready for a new project toy and have too many as is. Please feel free to direct any questions you have to me via email or (276)356-4420.

Asking $10,900 obo. Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#41 ·
The gear ratio will be stamped on the rear right lower corner of the diff housing - that area is usually grime, so a cleaner and brush will get it up. If it turns out to have 3.27's that's a good sign the car has mechanical mods, and you can look closer into the motor later on.

Super on the widebody! :thumbsup:

Here's something to read during your downtime, similar car to yours:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/2336305-sec-amg-widebody-v2-0-should.html

In the meantime, take care, get well, have a great T-day holiday....

#42 ·
Just for interest sake I compared my serial # to yours. All same except last 5 #s. Yours ends with 28407 & mine ends with 29069. I don't think it means a lot but interesting that I think mine was 662 farther down the assembly line after yours! I'd also like to learn anything I can about my own, as they are interesting cars! Photos are of the factory hydraulic syspension system that I haven't ever seen before.

Attachments

#43 ·
My 500sel doesn't have the hydropneumatic suspension. All standard shock and strut set up all around which is something I actually prefer for reliability sake.

I still haven't been able to get the car back to my mechanic unfortunately. Still unable to lift my leg or bend it really so physical therapy is aggressive and painful still.

As far as the widebody goes, here's a couple of pics of it now with 35k original documented miles. Still could use some aesthetics as well as a new head unit and amp.

#46 ·
Looking through the wheel wells the springs appear black. I know AMG springs are said to be white but I'm not sure. My 500SEL is the car originally imported by Charles G Koch of Koch Industries. I can only imagine that someone with that much money would order their AMG with all the goodies. He had this one and another black armored version imported back in 1983.

This widebody is very interesting. It does have US spec bumpers and headlights. It was originally imported as a standard US spec and converted here in the states. At some point, the front bumper was replaced and most likely ordered the standard AMG bumper by accident instead of the widebody version. The lips get ripped off and cracked being fairly low and someone must have goofed. The front bumper is stamped with AMG. Not sure where the others would be stamped. Could look around and see but still can't get around too well with this bum knee. I did do a magnet test to the car and the rear panels are steel, not rep parts. Looking under the hood at the screws where the fenders are bolted on, looks very clean and never replaced or tampered with.

#49 ·
People are often very stubborn in thinking that AMG springs are only white. Absolutely wrong!

Yes, many times AMG springs were painted white, but I've also seen springs in black and come with AMG labels. Just because they are not white, does not mean that its not AMG. Take a closer look to see if you can find any trace of AMG labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.