post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1973 W115 220D 4sp manual, $1500 OBO

1973 220D

Specifics: 1973 Mercedes 220D, white with blue interior, A/C, although it doesnít work and the compressor has been removed (comes with the car, though, I removed it to replace the alternator and did not re-install). 4 speed manual. Runs and drives well, but burns considerable oil and needs valve guides and vacuum pump rebuild. Mis-matched tires on steelies with color-keyed hubcaps. Interior is in good shape. Minor rust-through in the trunk floor and surface rust at door bottoms.

History: I bought this car in August, 2013 and drove it 60 miles home. In the next few days, the clutch hydraulics failed on me. It really was the flex hose, but I didnít realize that until I had replaced the master and rebuilt the slave. When I replaced the hose, everything worked beautifully and I used it as my daily driver for the next 4 months. During that time, I replaced the alternator, rear sway bar links, thermostat, and adjusted the valves. I stopped driving it when it got really cold and somewhat difficult to start and I hated stressing the starter so much. Over those 4 months, the oil consumption (and tailpipe smoke) steadily went up. By the time it warmed up, I had gotten an 83 240D with 4 speed and Iíve been driving it ever since. The 220D really needs a top-end (head) rebuild and so it has become a project on my long list of projects that I find little time for. Iíd really like to car to go to someone who will re-ring or rebuild the engine and keep it on the road. The heater fan doesnít work, either, although there was enough natural flow that I was comfortable driving it in the fall and winter as long as it wasnít below 25F.

Price: $1500 OBO

Contact: Best way is viat text at: 931-691-5959 or via my work email:
ben.pender at Nissan-usa.com

Reason for selling: I love Euro cars from the 60ís-80ís, especially the lesser-known, sometimes unloved ďecono-boxesĒ and ďpocket rockets.Ē But I also love Porsche 911ís, and after 30 years of driving old, beat-up cars and 40 years of longing for a 911, Iím finally at a point in my life where I can actually buy a nice 911. I have a collection of over 30 cars (Audiís to Yugoís), and so Iím paring down my collection to a more manageable size to justify the Porsche. Iím also selling my 80 VW Dasher diesel, my 87 Renault GTA, my 93 VW Fox GL, my 91 Saab 900S convertible, 92 BMW 318i convertible, Saab 9-3, *maybe* my 91 Audi 200Tq, *maybe* my Yugo GV+ís, etc. I really enjoy my W123 diesel Mercedes, so Iíll be keeping my 2 240Dís (both 4 speed manuals) to drive when Iím not driving the Porsche. I guess Iím just tired of having so projects that I canít ever get around to completing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73 Mercedes 220D 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1466897   Click image for larger version

Name:	73 Mercedes 220D 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1466905   Click image for larger version

Name:	73 Mercedes 220D 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1466913  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 1979 240D, 1988 560SL
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Free bump from another Cowan guy. I'm surprised I've not seen this car before but then again I haven't lived there since '06.

'79 240 D - Old Man Herman
'88 560 SL - Elsie
'00 55 Rancher - Anna
'10 Civic - Cici
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Nice looking mercedes. GLWS. I am assuming you have been looking at pelican and rennlist for info on 911's. Hope you find a good one.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: