Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
1978 450SL for sale

I'm so upside down in this car it's ridiculous, but I enjoyed the process of bringing it back, and now it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

1978 450SL, with both hard and soft top. If you want details on what's been done with it, look for my threads in the 107 forum. I posted here from the time I bought it until I was finished, so everything (including the mistakes) is in there. I've put about $25K into it, mostly in a professional paint job. This wasn't a tape & spray job, this was a full strip of everything, and all new seals and rubber when it got put back together. On both the car and hard top, by the way. It's also had the transmission rebuilt, suspension rebuild, upholstery & carpet replaced, soft top replaced, vacuum system completely gone through, etc. It comes with the recommended compression kit to R&R the suspension, a fuel pressure kit for the Bosch K-Jetronic, and a few spare parts. Oh, and the Mercedes windscreen is included. It lets you drive top-down in colder weather or take the Significant Other without getting glares about hair being whipped around. The color is original, Mercedes called it British Red, but it's really orange. It's the only 107 I've seen this color and, frankly, when I first got it I planned to change the color. By the time it was ready for paint the color had grown on me and I had it redone in the original.

Photos and a few videos are here:
Mercedes Slideshow by ScottinSoCal | Photobucket

It was originally purchased in SoCal, went to Las Vegas, then to Southern Utah, then back to SoCal. Never in snow, absolutely no rust anywhere. The AC and heater work, with a digital replacement for the disaster-prone ACCII unit originally in the car.

The WUR is getting ready to go. If the car is started when the temperatures are in the high 60s to low 80s it runs beautifully. If it's colder or warmer than that, it lopes because the fuel control pressure is off. The WUR is $650 for an original part. The same company that made the digital ACCII replacement also makes a digital WUR replacement that is NOT CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved and can't legally be used on a California car. That doesn't stop it from being popular, and it's available for $600.

If you want a perfect drive-off car, the price is $6,000 and I'll get the OEM WUR and replace it with your $1,000 deposit and a week wait. If you want to replace (or have replaced) the WUR yourself with whatever you choose (OEM or digital), the price is $5,000. I'm happy to let you or your designated representative verify how it runs and that everything is working the way it's presented in the photos/videos. It's currently registered as Planned Non-Operational, so it can't be driven on the streets, but I live in a gated community where the roads are all private. You can drive it around my community without fear of a ticket.

PM me here if you're interested and I'll reply with my mobile number.

ETA: I also have a hard top cart and hard top hoist so one person can install/remove the hard top. Since I won't have any use for it, that would obviously also go with the car. But I'm not sure how you'd fit the cart in the car unless you picked it up when it was warm and could drive it away top down.

And edited again to add: I have a complete set of MB service manuals that will also go with the car. Chassis & body 1/2, Engine (M116 & M117), Heating/Cooling/Auto Climate Control.

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.
Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Juvenis quod fanaticus nunquam concilio usus quod proditus
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1984 380 SL, 2014 CLA45 AMG, 2015 ML350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Not to tell you your business but there is not one shot of the interior of your car in that entire slideshow, probably want to add that. Also, I don't think you posted how many miles it has. Just trying to help you sell it, but I also think you're asking too little for it personally, especially given the time of year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: The PIG -'83 280 SL 5 speed
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
This is a $10,000 + car....never mind all the other stuff he is throwing in with it.

Scott....I love you man....... but you've lost your mind.

Originally Posted by nobby View Post
ils peuvent aller se faire mettre

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This is a $10,000 + car....never mind all the other stuff he is throwing in with it.

That is the truth. A real bargain. I have not seen the car but have followed Scott's threads on the 107 forum for years. I doubt you will find one much better. Many lower mileage I am sure but have they had the maintenance done that this one has.
By the way a rebuilt WUR from Larry at CIS flow tech is probably half of new price.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Amen to that.. If I had the cash, I'd be on his doorstep tomorrow.

Someone needs to snap this car up and enjoy it.

Es könnte eine deutsche Rostlaube sein, aber es ist meine deutsche Rostlaube.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1987 560SL - 61k miles
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
PM sent.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Great looking car, great price. Looks like a steal. Wish I was on the west coast.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for sale

is the car still available? in really interested!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: